Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 11:08 AM

9 posts, read 24,612 times

Advertisements

I have seen a lot of posts on this forum from people considering relocating to Savannah to work for Gulfstream. I too may have a job opportunity at Gulfstream and I would like to hear from the people who actually made the move. My wife an I are both 30 somethings and both work good jobs in MI and we have 2 young kids in elementary school. So if you're out there, I am interested to find out about your experience with moving to & living in the area, and your experience with Gulfstream itself. To put things in perspective please tell me how long ago you made the move and from where. Thanks

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 06:35 PM

214 posts, read 899,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaMoveOuttaMichigan View Post
I have seen a lot of posts on this forum from people considering relocating to Savannah to work for Gulfstream. I too may have a job opportunity at Gulfstream and I would like to hear from the people who actually made the move. My wife an I are both 30 somethings and both work good jobs in MI and we have 2 young kids in elementary school. So if you're out there, I am interested to find out about your experience with moving to & living in the area, and your experience with Gulfstream itself. To put things in perspective please tell me how long ago you made the move and from where. Thanks

J
My family (2 young children) made the move to Savannah back in the summer of 07. I don't work at Gulfstream (work with another company that moved me to Savannah) so can not tell you anything about them but as far as Savannah goes it is great.

I put my children in a wonderful private school of about 1500 students and we love it. Savannah has so much to do for a town its size. I moved from Atlanta and would take Savannah over Atlanta any day.

Great local restaurants (you could eat at a different on every day of the year and still not hit them all), fun outdoors, the coast, parks, great downtown atmosphere to walk around, plenty of things to do for kids.

Many neat new places being developed in Savannah and out west of Savannah near Gulfstream.

It was a great move for my family.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:45 AM

9 posts, read 24,612 times
thanks for your input.

What is the yearly cost of private school per student? did you have your kids in private schools in Atlanta?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
thanks for your input.

What is the yearly cost of private school per student? did you have your kids in private schools in Atlanta?
The cost is about $500 per month for each student or $5500 annual. The school my children attend is Savannah Christian Prep School. www.savcps.com

Old 01-05-2008, 08:43 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,438 times
Quote:
thanks for your input.

just a warning, check out the Private schools very carefully. When we were looking in Atlanta found many of the "christian" schools, focused on Biblical teaching, not basic educational skills. My neighbors kids went to "the finest" christian school in DeKalb county and could barely read, no math skills, social skills, but could quote all the bible verses you might want. They struggled when they had to go to public schools due to several drastic financial change for their parents. Talking to friends, they've heard of similar situations.

I don't have issues with Christian teachings at schools, just need to make sure there is a basic education there too. If there curriculum states "Prep" that should be a good sign, but again, check carefully.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
just a warning, check out the Private schools very carefully. When we were looking in Atlanta found many of the "christian" schools, focused on Biblical teaching, not basic educational skills. My neighbors kids went to "the finest" christian school in DeKalb county and could barely read, no math skills, social skills, but could quote all the bible verses you might want. They struggled when they had to go to public schools due to several drastic financial change for their parents. Talking to friends, they've heard of similar situations.

I don't have issues with Christian teachings at schools, just need to make sure there is a basic education there too. If there curriculum states "Prep" that should be a good sign, but again, check carefully.
It never ceases to amaze me the comments we get on this board. We've got someone who knows someone that went to ONE private school and THEIR kids had some problems and all of sudden we get a warning to be careful when checking out Christian private schools.

Of course we all know that all of the public schools are outstanding and no kids ever come out of them with problems.

All I can say is WOW. Probaly the most ignorant statement on the board in a long time.

Of course parents should research any school their kids are looking to enroll in. As far as Savannah area goes, private schools are so far above the public schools that it is not even debatable. Most private schools in the south are Christian based and the statistics show these schools boast a much better SAT average than the Public school system.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:03 PM

726 posts, read 3,602,870 times
Try to get into one of the specialty schools like Savannah Arts Academy, Oglethorpe Charter, Coastal Charter, Jenkins Honor
Schools set events for speciality programs | SavannahNow.com
High schools with a college-readiness index of at least 20 with Advanced Placement Courses
Savannah Arts Academy: Best High Schools - USNews.com
Best High Schools Search - US News and World Report

If not then
Georgia Virtual Academy

or the private choices:
Savannah Country Day
The Savannah Country Day School News
And
Savannah Christian Prep School
are the private choices

Last edited by bgnzsavnh; 01-08-2008 at 06:02 PM..

Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 AM

8 posts, read 30,057 times
My husband and I moved to Savannah, (Gulfstream), last June. I think it is a good move for a family. We don't have kids and our friends that do, it seems easier to get involved b/c of having kids. When it is just a couple, to me, it seems harder to meet people with out feeling weird or pushy. It's slow paced. A smaller downtown area, but monthly festivals which are fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: