Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 02:42 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times

Advertisements

It is depressing. But don't give up! Please stay! The city came so far until this year. The new chief is not good. I wanted to like him, I thought it was wise he called in GBI, ATF etc for reinforcements a while back. But results speak. A replacement may be something to consider. And fire the mayor and all of council. Vote!

This city is the most beautiful and the only problem I have with it or thing I would change is the crime. Thug life. Left to me I'd just deploy the National Guard, round up the murderers and violent offenders (that were probably released after serving 1 month here), deport them to some faraway country. Well actually I would do worse but that is not politically palatable. But even still this is too "mean" for some.

It's why I first came on this forum. Where does most crime come from? I am going to say the Projects and hood around them (based on anecdotes in part but that is always how it is in the news too). I have lived near them before in other cities and been broken in to etc. I mean it's simple that is where they live and then emerge from to commit crime. It is not racist or even classist. Many of my best friends are are black probably more than half and we don't live downtown for the same reason. Too dangerous. When you have a family too much is at stake to be politically correct. What happens is the projects are for mothers, seniors, the working poor, etc. Which I fully support!!! But then thug gangs set up shop in them. And it spreads then to the surrounding neighborhood that was formerly just fine.

New idea: if we can not move them, enforce resident regulations and keep the hood rats out of the projects, and enforce Parental Responsibility Ordinance in Savannah. Instead of just moving the projects farther away, when they get rebuilt as part of all this Revitalization Canal District Arena Rainbowfest. I know which one of those would be more effective realistically. But neither will happen, also being realistic. So... question is: what? I honestly DO NOT KNOW. I suppose all the investment in the westside will inevitably help, hopefully it will naturally push some crime back away from the city core and form a buffer.

Then again, investors like pink cad -- as it stands, are you willing to invest in or start a business in or near the West Side?? Does crime influence your decisionmaking?

Anyone else got ideas of causes and solutions? I mean beyond the typical more afterschool programs, more cops, better cop training and outreach, job programs, rainbows and unicorns stuff. The biggest thing I just think is getting rid of the corruption at the top, and the Clouncil, which really degrades the police dept and city government effectiveness. And patrol the west side and nearby downtown more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 03:03 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
We've had 15 shootings, not murders.

I can't watch local news on 11 anymore. I'm done with Sonny. And I've discovered a new feeling of hatred towards Don Logana. His oafish act & way too thick upper Midwest accent have driven me elsewhere to seek news. Now that WJCL is owned by Hearst, I'm expecting better local news...and it's already happening. WSAV is still a much better option over 11, but right now, my eyeballs are on 22.
Thanks for correcting that.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:53 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thanks for correcting that.
Yes, thanks. 15 *shootings* is far too many ... but at least they weren't all fatals.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:24 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,890 times
Augusta went thru a rash of violent crime like this a few years ago. Seems like there were 2 murders or more a week. There is still a crime issue but it has gotten better; the murder rate is down. It seems like this goes in cycles and now it is Savannah's turn. Usually it seems to be worse during warm weather months. Maybe Savannah needs a new police chief.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:28 PM

yes it does get worse in summers that is well studied. From our own South U - http://source.southuniversity.edu/as...ime-35072.aspx Kids are out. Lots of people out and about. It gets hot people get testy. So we need to get ahead it now. New chief, yes.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:53 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Proactive: This is a word bantered about but in all too many cases not addressed other than thinking the "other guy will do it".

My offer: I have a lot at stake in this city and would like to see nothing less than an effort to attempt to organize like and similar progressive citizens in becoming "proactive". I am offering the suggestion of forming a discussion group to brainstorm ideas on how we can be the catalyst. Let's start by putting together a bunch of very smart concerned people (that's us!) and see what can be done.

I am offering my house for the first meeting. If interested send me a DM regarding a proposed date.
I'm down with meeting up as well... though I'm not officially a resident of Savannah or Chatham County anymore.

I DO care very much about my hometown though and wish to see it prosper without the high crime.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:48 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Like you, I don't really care if drug gang members kill each other -- they're kinda doing us a favor, in the long run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
because one human being taking the life of another human being IS A BIG DEAL, no matter the circumstances.
Why do I feel like you're contradicting yourself here?

Old 02-12-2015, 06:43 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I'm down with meeting up as well... though I'm not officially a resident of Savannah or Chatham County anymore.

I DO care very much about my hometown though and wish to see it prosper without the high crime.

I'm looking at the meeting for the week of Feb22. Anybody else?

Old 02-12-2015, 07:02 PM

RESIDENTS AID ARREST OF 3 TEENS
SAVANNAH, GA (February 12, 2015) Residents in the Olin Heights/Ardsley Park area teamed up with saturating police officers to effect the arrest of three juveniles Wednesday night.
Residents near East 54th and Battey streets noticed three 14-year-old males attempting to enter a white BMW sedan about 8:45 p.m. and called Emergency 9-1-1. Then they took note of the descriptions and direction of travel and advised responding officers from the Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police Department.
Central Precinct Patrol officers, a Metro canine unit officer and SCMPD helicopter Eagle 1 that had been involved in a training operation nearby, secured the area and pursued the teens on foot.
One was wearing an ankle monitor from a previous arrest and another had removed a monitor assigned to him. None of the suspects live in the area.
“Entering auto complaints have been an increasing concern in these neighborhoods for the past few weeks and residents responded appropriately,” said Capt. DeVonn Adams, commander of the Central Precinct. “They talked to each other and used social media sites to warn each other to lock their cars, take their valuables or put them out of sight, and pay close attention to who is doing what near their homes. When they saw something suspicious, they called 9-1-1 and advised officers of what they had seen. The result was the arrest of three suspects.
“But, it doesn’t end here. We don’t know how many of the cases these young men had been involved in and there is always someone to take their place. Continued cooperation will help control the criminal element.”
All three juveniles were charged with criminal trespass and obstruction by fleeing. Other charges are pending against the teen who had removed the monitor.
Central Precinct detectives continue to investigate.

YES! We need more citizen involvement! I also like the one about Russ Reisinger from WSAV literally detaining that guy last week shoplifting the checkout. We are going to need all the help we can get after these last few weeks. Hope they put them away for more than a few weeks.:/

Old 02-22-2015, 06:14 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Athens not like Ferguson, but has its problems, Broyard says | Online Athens

This article from Athens is quite complimentary of Chief Lumpkin and may offer a few hints on how to improve some of Savannah's problems.

Maybe you all should contact this guy, Broyard, and see if he can help? Since his ally, Chief Lumpkin, is already in Savannah, you don't have to start at square one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area