Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of discipline should public schools use?
Negative reinforcement 2 20.00%
Positive reinforcement 8 80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 06:24 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times

Advertisements

^^^^Thank you for saying in a polite way what I was thinking in a snarky way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,279 times
I am a teacher in a suburban Atlanta district; I can shed some light on the silent lunch question. My school plays music in five minute intervals for quiet time. This is to encourage the children to eat. Many times the children will talk so much that they will wind up throwing out full trays and lunch boxes and then complain of hungry three minutes later (lol). As far as recess goes, I do try to take my children out when weather permits for ten of fifteen minutes. There are times when curriculum demands just don't permit it. Remember schools are educational institutions first! ;0)

Old 02-17-2015, 01:16 PM

566 posts, read 889,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Based on reading all your posts on this subject, in this forum and the other one: No one is answering you because, if your tone to them is similar to how you have presented your issue here, it is combative rather than solution seeking. If your response to questions or explanations from school system are similar to how you have reacted to posters here who are not in complete agreement with you, they probably think it matters not what they say, you have already made up your mind.

I taught full-time for 27 years and have subbed also. No, teachers shouldn't yell at kids as a general practice. No, it is not a wise idea to take away recess in large blocks of time. No, it is generally not smart for a teacher to punish an entire class for the actions of a few. But..... There is an issue if a child needs to be told repeatedly to do the same thing, whether it is tuck in their shirt or stay in line. By the way the third block line thing (second block depending on the school's tile configuration) is part of multiple widely used, successful school-wide discipline programs. Generally, these types of programs are implemented in schools where you have a large number of challenging students - which is almost always a struggling demographics issue, not a crappy school/teacher issue. Have you tried to manage a large group of uncooperative children? If you haven't, you can not begin to understand how difficult a task that is. Truthfully, it is surprising just how patient most teachers are.

Have you volunteered in classrooms at the school so that you are aware of what goes on in a regular classroom in that school? Are you being honest with yourself about your child's behavior?
A lot of wisdom in this post. I agree with the other posters. If you feel passionate about this issue, join your local PTA and talk to the parents there. Furthermore, volunteer in the classroom and at the school. See what the reality is before making blanket assumptions that may you may have developed based upon cursory visits to the school or your child's class. After that, if you still feel as if this type of system is wrong, rally the parents in your community. See who is volunteering, whose coming out to school board meetings, and PTA meetings. Reach out to them, see if they share your concerns, then go in force to the school board with your complaints.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:10 PM

48 posts, read 97,382 times
The board member told me not to wast my time with the PTA.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:12 PM

I have been in the classroom and the school. I have witnessed the yelling. Parents refer to a teacher as "the yeller."

Old 02-20-2015, 07:22 PM

I am in education myself. I understand how the parents perspective is protected and influenced by the fact they are their children. What I am experiencing is beyond that. It is 2015 and the Administration looks the other way when teachers yell, take away recess and do not provide core ingredients for little ones to learn. This is an inner city district but there are pockets and schools in districts with subdivisions full of modern families who all are forced to go private or into charter because they do not want to deal with this punitive archaic approach. It is easy to say that I am over reacting but trust me these schools are terrible and the administration running them are not interested in changing anything because of test scores. I appreciate the thoughts and comments from all and understand the people who think I am over exaggerating. I am asking if you have seen some of these archaic approaches in your schools to speak up and help change the system. I personally am looking into other jobs to move out of the area because you can't fix an old boys network who is set in their simple ways and does not want to do any hard work to make things better. It is hard to change and direct people to work. It is difficult to teach old dogs new techniques in education, but it can be done. Just not is Savannah GA, not while this administration is in place!

Old 02-21-2015, 07:09 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
^^^^^My suggestion for you to move was made way back @ post #25. For your next city/town/school you should improve "your computer skills" since you did mention previously your skills were deficient. I firmly believe that on-line research will get you 90% of the way. Together with school visits, You should find a teaching method that will suit you. (That's not to say, BTW, it will be the best method...but you're director and producer right now.)

Good luck.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:34 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,875 times
quote=movingfromwestcoast;38530285]I am in education myself. I understand how the parents perspective is protected and influenced by the fact they are their children. What I am experiencing is beyond that. It is 2015 and the Administration looks the other way when teachers yell, take away recess and do not provide core ingredients for little ones to learn. This is an inner city district but there are pockets and schools in districts with subdivisions full of modern families who all are forced to go private or into charter because they do not want to deal with this punitive archaic approach. It is easy to say that I am over reacting but trust me these schools are terrible and the administration running them are not interested in changing anything because of test scores. I appreciate the thoughts and comments from all and understand the people who think I am over exaggerating. I am asking if you have seen some of these archaic approaches in your schools to speak up and help change the system. I personally am looking into other jobs to move out of the area because you can't fix an old boys network who is set in their simple ways and does not want to do any hard work to make things better. It is hard to change and direct people to work. It is difficult to teach old dogs new techniques in education, but it can be done. Just not is Savannah GA, not while this administration is in place![/quote]

Though we're not yet in GA, I understand your concerns, however; you cannot change the world, nor "teach old dogs new tricks"...it's hard enough leading a "horse to water and making it drink". Schools aren't there to make my kids, nor, anyone elses kids behave. That's (my) our jobs as a parent, as it should be any other. As for me and MY house...the good ole boy network that has been passed down from my generation to generation is that of: "spare the rod and spoil the child"! And, believe me you...it works!

Sometimes "Johnny" needs to be told firmly to sit it down and don't interrupt! Don't blame the teachers, don't blame the administration. I don't by any means have perfect kids, but I'm proud of them when they say grace at lunch regardless of who's watching, that they respect their authority figures (and teachers are included), that they stay true to who they are, that their values follow them wherever they go. I try to catch them doing good instead of always focusing on the negative. You want change you say? Like the other suggestions you've receive repeatedly, instead of focusing on the system, focus on the individual child. Each one teach one, each one reach one. Never mind changing the system, the next time you see "Johnny" acting out, reach out and find out why, it may just be that all he needs is a hug, but you won't know that until you 'reach one'.

The only real failure in life is the failure to try. Sven Goran Eriksson

Old 02-21-2015, 02:30 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromwestcoast View Post
I am in education myself. I understand how the parents perspective is protected and influenced by the fact they are their children. What I am experiencing is beyond that. It is 2015 and the Administration looks the other way when teachers yell, take away recess and do not provide core ingredients for little ones to learn. This is an inner city district but there are pockets and schools in districts with subdivisions full of modern families who all are forced to go private or into charter because they do not want to deal with this punitive archaic approach. It is easy to say that I am over reacting but trust me these schools are terrible and the administration running them are not interested in changing anything because of test scores. I appreciate the thoughts and comments from all and understand the people who think I am over exaggerating. I am asking if you have seen some of these archaic approaches in your schools to speak up and help change the system. I personally am looking into other jobs to move out of the area because you can't fix an old boys network who is set in their simple ways and does not want to do any hard work to make things better. It is hard to change and direct people to work. It is difficult to teach old dogs new techniques in education, but it can be done. Just not is Savannah GA, not while this administration is in place!
Since you got me a little curious, I looked up this school, which you so helpfully identified in a thread in the teaching forum. I read your THREE one star trashing reviews of this school on greatschools - along with the 21 five star, 1 four star, 1 three star, 1 two star, and 4 other one star reviews written by other parents. I also looked at the school tests scores and demographic profiles on the state website. The bottom line is that they do have very good test scores. Frankly, they have incredible test scores given their demographics. You may not like their methods, but clearly they are doing something right and most schools and school systems can only dream about getting these types of results.

At this point it is unlikely anyone capable of affecting the change you want is going to take your complaints seriously, even if they were originally grounded in actual problematic behavior by the school. I know I wouldn't just based on what I have read written by you, which means it only tells your side of the story. Somehow or the other, according to you, you have even managed to tick off the school board members. This is not an effective way to get the change you are seeking.

You need to come to terms with the fact that what you are currently doing is not working. Not only that, but it isn't beneficial to anyone, including your own children. You are clearly very unhappy with the school and I doubt you have kept that a secret from your children. That generally results in the kids copping a huge attitude towards their teacher, which isn't helpful to your child in either the short or long term. Your child would be far better served in you working with him or her to adjust their behavior so as to avoid negative consequences, whatever they may be - but I have a feeling that is never going to happen. Instead of making everyone miserable perhaps the time has come to look into other options. Are there no good private schools in Savanah?

I highly suggest you try homeschooling, as that is always an option for parents who know better how to educate children than the public schools.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
I smell a helicopter parent, with a dash of new age left coast theory (look at her name) and some "my kid couldn't POSSIBLY do that!"

Methinks her lil Johnny/Suzie is a contributing factor to what she "sees". And for the record, if you tell a child to tuck in their shirt & they don't comply after five times, there's an issue at home.
I smell Savannah Administrator! Since when is it a bad idea to be involved in your children's life when we are talking about elementary school. Are you recommending me to not monitor or supervise them? Are you recommending me to not care what they do in school or what happens in school? Are you recommending me to ignore their tears and emotional responses to being controlled and yelled at all day? Then yes I am a helicopter parent.

Since when is sarcasm accepted as an accepted response to serious topics. I am bringing up potential child abuse happening in the schools and you are being sarcastic. You must be an administrator in the district.

If a child's shirt does not come untucked they are not acting like children. If untucked clothes bother you what are you doing in elementary education?

This forum is swarming with administrators in Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area