Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 08:48 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,170,659 times

Advertisements

It's crazy how much Pooler has changed over the last few years....

Quote:
Pooler planning officials this week signed off on plans for another hotel near the Savannah/Hilton Head Airport.

The city planning and zoning commission on Monday unanimously recommended approval of site and landscape plans for a Hilton Home2 Suites in Godley Station off Towne Center Boulevard.

If approved by the City Council next week, the hotel will mark the 14th to be built within the Pooler city limits, according to the Pooler Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau.

Pooler planners approve another hotel near airport | BiS | Business in Savannah News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 01:40 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,978,132 times
If I could figure out how to portray myself saying yay sarcastically on here, this would be the appropriate thread for it.

More suburban hotels. Mhm.

On a positive note, it'll add to the tax digest and room count for the metro as a whole.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:14 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,278,117 times
is it different than a regular hotel? Doesn't look it. Are other hotels fully booked always? I don't know. If not, though, I wonder what drives the business decision. Why compete with more of the same. Not saying I am against it. I am just interested if anyone here has relevant real estate, development or hospitality experience and can explain hotel building trend in Savannah. Is demand really that high? Though generally, I think that more visitors is a good thing. It means good restaurants and lots of events and culture.

Better than apartments or condos and more population increase at least. Oh Pooler. I don't live in Pooler so I don't have a stake in it, but it really turned into suburban Hell in the past couple years. We almost settled there though. Nice place to visit on weekends, yes, but I sure hope it keeps its sprawl away from the west County. Unfortunately that is beginning to look less likely as its tentacles creep outward...

Old 03-11-2015, 02:41 PM

474 posts, read 588,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
is it different than a regular hotel? Doesn't look it. Are other hotels fully booked always? I don't know. If not, though, I wonder what drives the business decision. Why compete with more of the same. Not saying I am against it. I am just interested if anyone here has relevant real estate, development or hospitality experience and can explain hotel building trend in Savannah. Is demand really that high? Though generally, I think that more visitors is a good thing. It means good restaurants and lots of events and culture.
Likely, the developer sees a trend and wants a piece of the pie. No one build's something or lends money if there isn't an opportunity to make money.The article mentions they are also the developer building the water park. Thus, they have an opportunity to make even more money by offering the mentioned combo passes.

It's really viable for them because of a simple sales technique, add-on services. So, while this water park won't draw people from super far away, say for instance, you're visiting for the day from some place down South like Jesup or Waycross. Ordinarily, you'd make the two hour drive home after a long day in the sun. But wait, the water park offered a coupon for a new, convenient hotel next door, or vice versa. Wouldn't it be nice to not sit in the car with your tired, sun-burnt children, for two hours, when you yourself are exhausted. The last thing you want to do is drive for two hours at that point.

The merchant may have offered a discount, but you still bought another service, so in the end, they're making more.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:30 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
If I understood the article I read this morning, the land in question is zoned for a hotel, among other things. It is not the job of the Pooler government to determine if another hotel is necessary. It's the job of the proposed hotel to determine if it will be profitable. Since it bought the land, it must think so. If it is being built next to the Residence Inn, it is tucked in behind Pooler Parkway on Godley Station Blvd. where there is plenty of room and no congestion.

If I had a bunch of little kids and wanted to take them to the water park, go bowling and to the movies, I'd love to stay at either hotel. They are planning to have packages with the attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area