Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 07:43 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,664,356 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/search?q=port...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

This shift to the East coast, with a significant % going to Savannah will be just another home run for the home team.

Published front page of the biz section of the WSJ two days ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 08:31 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,143,685 times
This is excellent news for the region. I hope with this shift it will put more pressure on officials in SC to move on the Joint Jasper County port. Not only would new port be good for Georgia it will benefit SC as well. Also I would love to one day see a new north-south interstate connecting Savannah, Augusta, Greenville and Asheville. That would really cement Savannah's position as an emerging logistics powerhouse.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:39 AM

515 posts, read 629,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
This is excellent news for the region. I hope with this shift it will put more pressure on officials in SC to move on the Joint Jasper County port. Not only would new port be good for Georgia it will benefit SC as well. Also I would love to one day see a new north-south interstate connecting Savannah, Augusta, Greenville and Asheville. That would really cement Savannah's position as an emerging logistics powerhouse.
I agree. I could definitely see Savannah becoming a major logistics hub. Have there been any recent proposals for that?

Old 03-07-2015, 08:53 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,143,685 times
There was a proposal made ten yeas ago for an Interstate 3 that would have ran from Savannah to Knoxville, but environmentalists killed that. If it does resurface it should be made to run from Savannah to Asheville, that way it could tie into I-26 which connects to I-81. Interstate 81 is already a major truck corridor for freight haulers who want to avoid I-95.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:34 PM

334 posts, read 624,198 times
Default great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post

that will never happen as long as the south keeps vote for the GOP. they don't spend money, they make money for themselves. that road would make life easier for the rest of us, not the shipping industry. they can use I95 , and I80 they don't care about the truckers, they care about doing minimal to make them tons of cash. Until 278 and 26 fall totally to dust, we won't see any improvement to infrastructure, maybe locally but that's it.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:38 PM

334 posts, read 624,198 times
great idea

Old 03-09-2015, 12:37 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,093,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
that will never happen as long as the south keeps vote for the GOP. they don't spend money, they make money for themselves. that road would make life easier for the rest of us, not the shipping industry. they can use I95 , and I80 they don't care about the truckers, they care about doing minimal to make them tons of cash. Until 278 and 26 fall totally to dust, we won't see any improvement to infrastructure, maybe locally but that's it.
What an ignorant, stupid comment. Go back to skool.

Dropping I-77 down from Columbia & having it meet I-16 at the Talmadge Bridge would be the most feasible & least expensive solution. A spur could be built to connect HHI/Bluffton further enhancing access.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:31 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,268,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
What an ignorant, stupid comment. Go back to skool.

Dropping I-77 down from Columbia & having it meet I-16 at the Talmadge Bridge would be the most feasible & least expensive solution. A spur could be built to connect HHI/Bluffton further enhancing access.
o really? I agree with your design plan, sure, it is most feasible least expensive. But roads are Big Gubmint. You get what you vote for.

A while back when the port thread came up I went and read more and now feel Jasper Port is a good idea. I am for it. It is farther down the river. They should have just built the Jasper Port instead of dredging. Then again, politicians are always looking to get more with less, and someone think skimping on infrastructure will work out. Skimping on interstates or on ports or whatnot, always ends up costing more in the long run anyway.

Anyway, more expansion, more population, higher population density. Higher crime, taxes, traffic etc. A big city compared to med.city ie Savannah compared to a small town. How do they compare on them. Things to consider. Particularly to consider in terms of Pooler and western Chatham's future. Is quantity>quality. And do we want to use money for an interstate to nowhere (Augusta) (kidding, mostly) or spend more on schools and public safety? Maybe we want to spend less on both (probably the GOP plan). Probably best to fix the interstates we ALREADY have then build new ones. How about add a lane to 16 before anything else. Hey all, I moved here just a year and a half ago and I swear since then the traffic on I 16 has gotten worse at the end of day, anyone else notice that? I imagine it's all the new people in Pooler and outlaying areas. Time to add another lane from 95 to the end of 16 at the city. And rethink taking away the MLK ramps!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,856,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
o really? I agree with your design plan, sure, it is most feasible least expensive. But roads are Big Gubmint. You get what you vote for.

A while back when the port thread came up I went and read more and now feel Jasper Port is a good idea. I am for it. It is farther down the river. They should have just built the Jasper Port instead of dredging. Then again, politicians are always looking to get more with less, and someone think skimping on infrastructure will work out. Skimping on interstates or on ports or whatnot, always ends up costing more in the long run anyway.

Anyway, more expansion, more population, higher population density. Higher crime, taxes, traffic etc. A big city compared to med.city ie Savannah compared to a small town. How do they compare on them. Things to consider. Particularly to consider in terms of Pooler and western Chatham's future. Is quantity>quality. And do we want to use money for an interstate to nowhere (Augusta) (kidding, mostly) or spend more on schools and public safety? Maybe we want to spend less on both (probably the GOP plan). Probably best to fix the interstates we ALREADY have then build new ones. How about add a lane to 16 before anything else. Hey all, I moved here just a year and a half ago and I swear since then the traffic on I 16 has gotten worse at the end of day, anyone else notice that? I imagine it's all the new people in Pooler and outlaying areas. Time to add another lane from 95 to the end of 16 at the city. And rethink taking away the MLK ramps!
I'm in full agreement on the last part. The entire length of I-16 from I-95 to its termination downtown is way overdue for upgrading. It should be a minimum 3 lanes in each direction to Chatham Parkway, and 4-5 lanes in each direction from there to the end and / or bridge. The 16 / 95 intersection should also be turned into a flyover.

Unfortunately, all the above would have been funded under T-Splost. But I've heard nobody mention since T-Splost was defeated 2 years ago. Hopefully, the Legislature won't dosappoint and come through with the $1 billion in additional annual transportation funds this session. A fraction of that ($200 million) could easily fix what needs to be done to I-16.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:51 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,949,445 times
Quote:

Do you know what you're talking about or just like to go on rambling about random things?

The Jasper Port has been a political mess for years now. If it were as simple as saying, oh, let's just build another port, it would've been done long ago.

Dredging would've been needed anyway with or without the Jasper Port BTW.

..and tell me how roads are "Big Gubmint"? If anything, transit is. Most republicans are FOR more roads, not so much transit.. and republicans are usually for less government. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Anyway, more expansion, more population, higher population density. Higher crime, taxes, traffic etc. A big city compared to med.city ie Savannah compared to a small town. How do they compare on them. Things to consider. Particularly to consider in terms of Pooler and western Chatham's future. Is quantity>quality. And do we want to use money for an interstate to nowhere (Augusta) (kidding, mostly) or spend more on schools and public safety? Maybe we want to spend less on both (probably the GOP plan).
...and yet again with the expansion is bad argument. Okay! We get it! You want Savannah to stay the same. I've heard this in soooo many of your comments. News flash. The area is growing. You can't stop it. DEAL.

To help your concerns, that interstate hasn't even been discussed for probably 10 years. No worries about money being spent on that.

Quote:
Probably best to fix the interstates we ALREADY have then build new ones. How about add a lane to 16 before anything else. Hey all, I moved here just a year and a half ago and I swear since then the traffic on I 16 has gotten worse at the end of day, anyone else notice that? I imagine it's all the new people in Pooler and outlaying areas. Time to add another lane from 95 to the end of 16 at the city. And rethink taking away the MLK ramps!
Now THIS is the one thing we and some others can agree on. The existing infrastructure needs upgrades big time. Yes, traffic has gotten worse (due to reasons I have already gone over time and time again) and will continue to do so.

I'm still on the fence regarding the MLK ramp. PLEASE, let's not get started on that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area