Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 12:44 PM

94 posts, read 114,831 times

Advertisements

Actually the Piggly Wiggly was where Kmart/Food World/Food Lion/Harveys was on Fair Road. The corner of Fair and Zetterower was a Roses back in the day.

Food Max --> Piggly Wiggly --> Food Lion --> Still vacant??
Food Lion --> Big Lots
M&M --> Kroger --> Bilo
Publix
K-Mart --> Piggly Wiggly --> Food Lion --> Harveys --> Food World
Winn Dixie --> Winn Dixie Marketplace
Walmart --> Goodys --> Bealls Outlet
Ghetto Food Lion --> Ghetto Harveys --> Not sure??
Bilo --> Save-A-Lot

The Bread Store on North Main and East Parrish --> Not sure??
Piggly Wiggly on South Main in downtown --> AgSouth??
What was the store originally on North Main that is now a Maxway?

When the GSU Library was remodeling were they housed in the old Winn Dixie or the old Publix? Cant remember - I know I am forgetting some places.

Bilo - referred to as "Bihi" by locals and college students... is one of the best grocery stores in Statesboro as sad as that is to say. Most of the ethnic restaurants shop there too because they are one of the few places to buy certain rare ingredients. I know they are the only store to carry tahini and Israeli couscous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 05:54 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,747,652 times
That Fair Road/Zetterower shopping center had a Roses and a Piggly Wiggly (at the same time). One of my first jobs was working at Roses in the hardware/automotive section. The Pig was almost directly behind Wendy's at that end, and of course Roses was almost directly behind the First Bulloch Bank that became BB&T. Odd bit of trivia: after Roses closed they operated a skating rink in that space for a while. I recall coming home from skating there for the first time to turn on the news and see that Princess Diana had been in her fatal car crash.

I recall the Piggly Wiggly on South Main, but never had the chance to go in it before it was closed and remodeled into more diverse office space.

And before Wal-Mart operated in the sMall, that space was a Woolworth's! Man, I'm old.

So all these grocery stores have basically disappeared over the decades, with only a few hearty souls still surviving. Is this an indication that Wal-Mart is THAT popular? WM and BI-LO are basically the only major players who came and stayed.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:22 AM

474 posts, read 588,237 times
It looks like that Bi-Lo in Norwood Plaza may not sit vacant too long.

Sounds like the owner pushed Bi-Lo out with promises of higher rents. Couple that with tough competition nearby, and Bi-Lo chose to close the store, citing is as under performing. It's hard to justify higher rent if the store already doesn't do great.

My guess is we will see a new anchor announced soon after Bi-Lo leaves. Maybe another Publix or a Trader Joe's. Earth Fare also doesn't have a presence in Savannah. My bet is that it will be something that caters to the higher income of those island communities.

https://savannahbusinessjournal.com/...g-centers.html

Old 03-19-2015, 10:34 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Default Bi-Lo #5761, Norwood Plaza, 7360 Skidaway Road, Savannah, Georgia 31406-4265

Bi-Lo #5761 was not a successful store from its start. Bi-Lo Holdings expanded quickly into Chatham County through the acquisition of low performing Piggly Wiggly stores. Five of its six stores recently announced for closure were acquired from Delhaize America (Sweetbay, Harvey's) and Piggly Wiggly.

The article mentioned CVS #7228 having a desire to renew its lease. Is there speculation of it relocating to a freestanding location?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:54 AM

94 posts, read 114,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
That Fair Road/Zetterower shopping center had a Roses and a Piggly Wiggly (at the same time). One of my first jobs was working at Roses in the hardware/automotive section. The Pig was almost directly behind Wendy's at that end, and of course Roses was almost directly behind the First Bulloch Bank that became BB&T. Odd bit of trivia: after Roses closed they operated a skating rink in that space for a while. I recall coming home from skating there for the first time to turn on the news and see that Princess Diana had been in her fatal car crash.

I recall the Piggly Wiggly on South Main, but never had the chance to go in it before it was closed and remodeled into more diverse office space.

And before Wal-Mart operated in the sMall, that space was a Woolworth's! Man, I'm old.

So all these grocery stores have basically disappeared over the decades, with only a few hearty souls still surviving. Is this an indication that Wal-Mart is THAT popular? WM and BI-LO are basically the only major players who came and stayed.
Hahaha!! Awesome stories man! I remember when Winners Circle opened, they had a "Titanic" themed party and had the "my heart will go on and on" lyrics on their handout ads. Haha. I dont remember Piggly Wiggly being over there, but I do remember some Pizza joint on the corner of the building (Holidays?). I feel like I vaguely remember going into Woolworth's with Grandma when I was itty bitty lol. Was it in a 3-story building?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:56 AM

474 posts, read 588,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Bi-Lo #5761 was not a successful store from its start. Bi-Lo Holdings expanded quickly into Chatham County through the acquisition of low performing Piggly Wiggly stores. Five of its six stores recently announced for closure were acquired from Delhaize America (Sweetbay, Harvey's) and Piggly Wiggly.

The article mentioned CVS #7228 having a desire to renew its lease. Is there speculation of it relocating to a freestanding location?
I think more so CVS would expand or build a new store in the center. The writer alludes to there not being a lot of available land to build retail space in the area. The MPC made set a precedent by denying to rezone a neighboring property from residential to commercial. It sends a warning to other developers that it won't be allowed. Therefore, the owner of Norwood Plaza probably realized he has prime real estate now, and thus can increase the rent.

The closing of Bi-Lo was merely a by-product of a more competitive and expensive market to operate it. There is no doubt the store was unprofitable. But, when they raised rent, it was the straw that broke the camel's back for Bi-Lo. It just so happened, that it aligned with a larger list of store closures.

This is just my opinion, but Bi-Lo is an inferior chain that absorbs other floundering chains. In most cases Bi-Lo operates in small towns where it has no other competition (or if it does, it's a Wal-Mart that everyone despises). So, those stores are profitable because there are no other choices. In Savannah, we have Kroger and Publix, so Bi-Lo couldn't compete and I'd say the remaining Bi-Lo stores are probably on the cusp of expiration.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:11 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
I was looking at the Bi Lo across the road at BOA on Victory while waiting for the light to change to exist the lot. That BL is a very large chunk of that strip. If they go what could fill that large of space? This could get ugly.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:12 PM

Default Bi-Lo #5763, Crossroads, 2142 East Victory Drive, Savannah, Georgia 31404-3918

Bi-Lo #5763's nearest supermarket competition is Kroger, McAlpin Square, 1900 East Victory Drive, Savannah, Georgia 31404-3711; and Food Lion #2150, 2208 East Derenne Avenue, Savannah, Georgia 31406-2274.

If Bi-Lo #5763 closes, the only other logical supermarket options that could locate on site would be Publix and Walmart Neighborhood Market. New construction could be necessary to accommodate larger stores.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:28 AM

Bi-Lo stores #5752 (Garden City) and #5761 (Norwood Market, Savannah) are officially closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area