Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:25 AM

4 posts, read 4,038 times

Advertisements

Wanted some feedback from those who have lived in Savannah or live there now about the city. Its likes and dislikes. I know no city is perfect, but wanted opinions about the city and your experiences. Moving with a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 10:47 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
I grew up in Savannah. Beautiful city, much more cosmopolitan and fun than it was when I was growing up. But Savannah is a fraction of the size of metro Charlotte (and half the size of metro Charleston). You and any children (teens especially) will miss the "big metro" amenities you took for granted in Charlotte. That will be an adjustment in itself. Savannah has some nice aspects and is generally ahead of other metro areas its relative size (pop. 375,000) in things to do, nightlife, and "urbanity." Parts of the city are spectacular, too, and the beach at Tybee Island is available much of the year. But certain things will disappoint anyone who's moving from a large metro area. Be ready for that.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:04 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
OP
I spent three years in CLT buying and flipping homes before I moved my base to Savannah. I might be able to answer your question re Sav in a different way. Not sure, but we'll give it a try together.

Give me three things in priority order of what you would rather not do without that you had in Charlotte.
Give me three things in priority order that you would not like to experience in Savannah.

Let 's see, without 20-30 posts if Savannah works for you.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:57 PM

4 posts, read 4,038 times
pink caddy,

education for kids, family activities, quality of life

poor quality of life, race relations (from what I have read, not good) and community not open to being progressive

Old 09-13-2015, 05:51 PM

68 posts, read 88,721 times
Default education for kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherfb View Post
pink caddy,

education for kids
Our children went through the Specialty Programs in the SCCPSS.

Arts: Garrison K-8 to Savannah Arts Academy

STEM: Bartlett to The School of Engineering at Herschel V. Jenkins High School They partner with Ga Tech Savannah- My son interned over the summers there and now studies at MIT.

But after graduation all of my children have left Savannah

Old 09-13-2015, 10:10 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I grew up in Savannah. Beautiful city, much more cosmopolitan and fun than it was when I was growing up. But Savannah is a fraction of the size of metro Charlotte (and half the size of metro Charleston). You and any children (teens especially) will miss the "big metro" amenities you took for granted in Charlotte. That will be an adjustment in itself. Savannah has some nice aspects and is generally ahead of other metro areas its relative size (pop. 375,000) in things to do, nightlife, and "urbanity." Parts of the city are spectacular, too, and the beach at Tybee Island is available much of the year. But certain things will disappoint anyone who's moving from a large metro area. Be ready for that.
I always hate to be the one to point this out, but it's misleading to quote Savannah's MSA population of 375,000 without mentioning that the CSA population is well over half a million (527,000 in 2014). Also, as all of us who live here know, the greater Savannah region includes the adjacent Hilton Head-Beaufort MSA, which as of 2014 had an estimated population over 200,000.

That combined population of nearly 750,000 today will no doubt grow above 800,000 by the next census -- and likely push beyond 1 million in another 10 years. It's the reason Savannah is a top 100 media market and has one of the fastest growing airports in the nation.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:11 PM

975 posts, read 1,149,545 times
I think you can be comfortable here, with some attention to the details. We've raised our kids here, even partially through the public schools (although we were careful about WHICH schools). Race relations here are probably on par with what current Charlotte has on a larger scale. Are there bigots from all races? You know the answer. But for the most part, folks seem to get along pretty well, where race is the lone consideration.

Honestly, if you ask most Savannahians what the biggest problem facing our city is right now, you'd hear "crime." Mostly, that's concern over a growth in violent crime over the past several years. The overwhelming majority of violent crime is limited to impoverished areas, but we have a lot of impoverished areas, unfortunately.

It's a complex city, socially speaking. You really need to spend some time here to learn how your top criteria mesh with what you can afford and what amenities you prefer.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherfb View Post
pink caddy,

education for kids, family activities, quality of life

poor quality of life, race relations (from what I have read, not good) and community not open to being progressive
Education: Poor to excellent, depending.
Family Activities: Sure
Quality of life: Excellent
Race relations: Very good
Progressive?: Not so much.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:35 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I always hate to be the one to point this out, but it's misleading to quote Savannah's MSA population of 375,000 without mentioning that the CSA population is well over half a million (527,000 in 2014). Also, as all of us who live here know, the greater Savannah region includes the adjacent Hilton Head-Beaufort MSA, which as of 2014 had an estimated population over 200,000... combined population of nearly 750,000 today will no doubt grow above 800,000 by the next census -- and likely push beyond 1 million in another 10 years. It's the reason Savannah is a top 100 media market and has one of the fastest growing airports in the nation.
And I always hate to be the one to point out that such a comment is pure boosterism. Almost every southern city has both an MSA and a CSA. The Census Bureau defines them quite differently (the CSA is nothing more than the marketing/trading area). Columbus, GA homers have made the same argument about some "Greater Columbus" that includes Auburn and Opelika in a grand urban fantasy of 800,000 people. In Savannah's case, Hilton Head and Beaufort have very weak links with Savannah -- based on geographical barriers, politics, the different nature of the SC cities and their residents, and the lack of much commuting between them. The SC cities remain a separate world away from Savannah. Urban Savannah is in fact rather small -- 375,000 being pretty accurate. Savannah does punch above its weight in terms of urbanity and a growing cosmopolitan population, but it certainly can't be compared to a larger urban area of 527,000 or (!) 750,000.

The OP is moving from a rather large metro with many amenities (I was in Charlotte just last year) to a rather small one (I visit family in Savannah every year at least once). Believe me, Savannah is smaller potatoes. Anyone moving from Charlotte, Nashville, or even Jacksonville must be warned that Savannah is considerably smaller. Due to Savannah's fantastic downtown and its "cosmo" vibe, many visitors will get the impression that it's far more than it is. But Savannah is not Austin, and it's not Charlotte either. That'll be sadly apparent after living in Savannah for a few months. I'm warning the OP because the OP should be warned.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:53 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
OP Is this a "I am being transferred" kind of thing or you think you would be better off in Sav?

If you didn't need to make the move, IMHO, CLT wins the race...without question for a man with a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area