U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:15 AM

6,469 posts, read 5,709,364 times

Advertisements

With the race for mayor getting underway, who will you be voting for? Mayor Jackson announced her re-election bid today. Although I don't live in Savannah, I still have a deep interest in the city. I'm somewhat mixed on the performance of Edna Jackson as mayor. While she hasn't done anything truly terrible, she hasn't done anything truly great either imo. So far I remain unimpressed with her and city manager Stephanie Cutter's handled of this spike in shootings and other violent crimes in the city. I will give Chief Lumpkin the benefit of the doubt since he just got here. For me I would love to see someone similar to Charleston's mayor Joseph P. Riley. Savannah needs a mayor the can help take the city to the next level. Also as for the stubbornly high crime rate in the city, I would love to see work program started in the city to give these teens something to do besides robbing and shooting people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 11:44 AM

3,869 posts, read 5,557,922 times
I think at this point she has earned another 4 years based upon the following issues.

1.) The city itself is growing and people are still moving here and more specifically the urban core.
2.) She has handled the political divide between the races pretty good compared to what could have happened when the city manager was fired.
3.) The city manager fiasco she inherited and fixed she handled pretty good.
4.) The whole police chief indictment.

She still needs to address the funding of some type of arena downtown, infrastructure upgrades, the savannah county police problem, and other issues but she has done ok at worst overall. I think give her another 4 years now that she has the experience and let's see what happens.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:49 AM

2,017 posts, read 1,750,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I think at this point she has earned another 4 years based upon the following issues.

1.) The city itself is growing and people are still moving here and more specifically the urban core.
2.) She has handled the political divide between the races pretty good compared to what could have happened when the city manager was fired.
3.) The city manager fiasco she inherited and fixed she handled pretty good.
4.) The whole police chief indictment.

She still needs to address the funding of some type of arena downtown, infrastructure upgrades, the savannah county police problem, and other issues but she has done ok at worst overall. I think give her another 4 years now that she has the experience and let's see what happens.
Yes on 1 and 2. No on 3 and 4. Current manager needs to be fired. She is incompetent. 4) she needs to make sure Willie does not get his $200,000/yr golden parachute pension. Also the payoffs to her family and campaign manager for the Arts Center, Arena etc stink of corruption. I like a lot of what she has done and she is a nice person. But I think it is time for a new person, unless she takes some swift positive action now (ie no pension for Willie, being more transparent about contracting on major projects, etc)
A lot of Council also needs to go. The Shabbazz racists. Mary Osborne. Etc. Completely morally bankrupt.

What's this with next level concept? Do you all genuinely want the city to grow in population, and size? Why? I am honestly curious. I think it channels to be successfully marketed to as a voter, by developers with vested interests in new construction. Consider it. Big cities have higher taxes, more traffic, and more crime. Show me where this isn't true. Small vs big city. Increasing population density increases taxes, it has been well documented. Plus, I love how you can actually see the sun here downtown, and how there is so much public green space. Fill it with sky scrapers, it goes away. If we build a new urban core I would recommend considering the West Side or Garden City, as it is closer to the interstates, not in the historic district, and also, that could serve to revitalize that area after we bulldoze the projects. This is actually what seems to be happening with this new arena/MLK corridor/Canal District talk and various projects. Anyhow a lot of people born here that never lived anywhere might (I say might because I don't want to speak for everyone, just some that I've noticed personally) don't know how good they have it, living in a small city, particularly this one, with so many amenities and so much character as we have here.

The only thing that really matters though is the crime. And again, under Edna, crime has spiraled out of control. Why does she deserve re-election? She says crime will be her number 1 priority in the new term. HELLO why wasn't it already!? Yea I like pretty buildings and trees, but what good are they if you might get shot in the face randomly downtown!?

The question is, if not Edna, who?

Old 03-13-2015, 07:01 AM

40,250 posts, read 49,764,345 times
I wonder who else will run?
My objection to Edna, who is very popular, is that she is old, and I think they need some fresh new ideas.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:08 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,743,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wonder who else will run?
My objection to Edna, who is very popular, is that she is old, and I think they need some fresh new ideas.
She's not as popular as you think.

She's a protégé of Otis, the most racist mayor this city's ever seen. She lives on Wilmington Island, which is a no no. She's not a bringer or cultivator of ideas, but more of a "let's pray we can get along" type. What has she done? Nothing.

I do think the whole Murray Silver- OC Welch farce is exactly that.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:45 AM

2,017 posts, read 1,750,889 times
So the MAYOR doesn't live in the CITY!?

Old 03-13-2015, 04:52 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,483,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
That's pretty outrageous to me. She should live within the city limits, period.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:25 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,284,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
She lives on Wilmington Island, which is a no no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
And your source of that information is ... ? A certain prolific (and racist) contributor to the SMN message boards I assume?

FACT: To run for or be elected to the office of Mayor of the city of Savannah, you MUST reside within the city limits of Savannah. To qualify as a candidate for City Council or Mayor of Savannah for the upcoming election, you must have established residency within the city limits no later than 4 March 2015 (cite: City Clerk Dyanne Reese clarifies residency requirements.)

According to every source I can find, she lives at 2227 N Fernwood Ct behind Savannah State.

Last edited by Newsboy; 03-13-2015 at 08:40 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 09:25 PM

3,869 posts, read 5,557,922 times
There is nothing she can do about the ex chiefs pension, they would have to pass a bill enabling them to do that. I don't know if the city of state would have to do it, and then could it even be applied retroactively.

The big hurdles she faces are the upcoming Arena, downtown growth mainly how to do it, and fixing some of the income disparity in the city.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:10 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,483,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And your source of that information is ... ? A certain prolific (and racist) contributor to the SMN message boards I assume?

FACT: To run for or be elected to the office of Mayor of the city of Savannah, you MUST reside within the city limits of Savannah. To qualify as a candidate for City Council or Mayor of Savannah for the upcoming election, you must have established residency within the city limits no later than 4 March 2015 (cite: City Clerk Dyanne Reese clarifies residency requirements.)

According to every source I can find, she lives at 2227 N Fernwood Ct behind Savannah State.
Am relieved to read this -- especially with the adversarial relationship between the City of Savannah versus unincorporated Chatham and the municipalities on the other. Despicable, fairly often racially tinged, occasionally politically tinged, and thoroughly repellent since my childhood. How Mayor Rousakis was ever able to annex the southside in 1978 is still a total mystery to me. As bad as relations were then, they are wretched now. (Rant button off)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area