Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 03:54 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times

Advertisements

Funny how many friends I have in all parts of this country who are INSANELY JEALOUS of the fact that I live in Savannah GA and would SIMPLY DIE for the chance to do the same .... if only they could be so fortunate. I'm talking people who have lived their entire lives in NYC or LA, but Savannah is their idea of paradise. It's that kind of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:11 AM

202 posts, read 231,208 times
I would have to agree. Was in your fair city last weekend and always enjoy when I visit. Am really considering Sav for retirement.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:24 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Yes for attracting good people. We are liberal oasis in the south. Our sports are art, music, and food. I love it here. It's the only city I'd consider living in downtown. For a small city it's very cosmopolitan, I think due to several universities and schools..SCAD, Armstrong, Sav State, Southern, GSU, the military, and big industries related to the port and aviation. For now I live out in the "country" just 15 minutes out. But there are many options and suburbs. Yes Pooler is sterile. But if that is what you are looking for, there it is. All the other surrounding areas are vibrant, with old trees and older buildings, and interesting characters. However even Pooler would be a nice place to live since you can go downtown door to door in 20 mins. All I have to say is, come visit. You'll know if it's right. I'd recommend at least considering the Islands, downtown and southside. They aren't your typical city surburbs. And could very well be price competitive with Pooler. Drive around, talk to people.
Uh...no. The "liberal Oasis" doesn't extend far past midtown. This is a Red state in a red part of the state. Don't let our resident libs get it twisted for you....unless you live downtown or in a slum, your vote will get cancelled out by another voter.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:35 PM

974 posts, read 1,149,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Uh...no. The "liberal Oasis" doesn't extend far past midtown. This is a Red state in a red part of the state. Don't let our resident libs get it twisted for you....unless you live downtown or in a slum, your vote will get cancelled out by another voter.
It extends into midtown?

Old 03-25-2015, 03:15 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,702,805 times
[quote=SavannahLife;38918399]Yes for attracting good people. We are liberal oasis in the south. /QUOTE]

Well I guess if you really want to use the word "oasis" you might be right if you mean "like a kiddy pool in a desert." That's what you meant right?

Old 06-10-2015, 11:20 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,258 times
Black is NOT a culture.................it is a color. Definition of culture: the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time. Therefore, black is NOT a society, but again, just a color.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:12 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,702,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Black is NOT a culture.................it is a color. Definition of culture: the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time. Therefore, black is NOT a society, but again, just a color.

Not exactly:
African-American culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-12-2015, 06:21 PM

25 posts, read 21,206 times
SCAD (Savanah College of Art and Design) has brought a university atmosphere to Savannah which had long been lacking.

Sadly, like Detroit, Baltimore and some others, we have a largish population that shuns education.

But Savannah, to I who came here with the army many years ago. Is hugely inclusive. Certainly some of us tease "Yankees," but that's all it is, and it's never done before drinks are offered.

My advice is to come down and spend a couple of weeks to get an understanding of Savannah. Five thousand on Skidaway Island can't all be wrong.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:39 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,150 times
Re: 'But Savannah, to I who came here with the army many years ago. Is hugely inclusive. Certainly some of us tease "Yankees," but that's all it is, and it's never done before drinks are offered.

Well you know I have to say and this is based on a lot of experience that Savannah natives sure ain't the only ones down there in those Southern parts who tease the hell out of Yankees....;-)...I have to say all that 'teasing' was the best way to come closer and connect with those in another region and a fine indigenous culture. Once the 'accent' business got taken care of well we were in our way! 99.9 % of the time.

You know as far as complaining about 'culture' when being a visitor I figure those who do it are kind of off the mark. They're like people who go to say the Antarctic and complain about the weather...;-)...

Old 06-15-2015, 07:26 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,704 times
Hey 912 my perspective is it's all relative. All I can say is this is my experience and I am happy here! And I meant the downtown. Not the county as a whole. Although the coastal empire is still crunchier than the most counties in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: