Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 06:09 PM

113 posts, read 184,166 times

Advertisements

The Mr and I are considering possible retirement areas. Closer to the kids/grandkids in Florida, but not actually in Florida. (But is Savannah all that different climate-wise from St. Augstine? I don't know.)

I know that many people communities in the south resent the northerners who move there for the warm weather and complain about the culture. And not without reason. I don't want to be one of them. Besides, I was born and raised south of the Mason-Dixon line (though in a suburb of DC and a largely blue county).

Not a flaming liberal (I have many friends to the left of me), but a moderate democrat, socially progressive, not evangelical (semi-Catholic, in fact), and some might say over-educated (PhD).

The point (finally!): I'm asking about the culture in the suburbs of Savannah -- Pooler, etc. If it's likely to be a poor match, that's fine. Just looking for info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 06:52 PM

11,363 posts, read 24,315,581 times
Yay. You're perfect and a very desirable transplant.

Pooler seems to be a bit sterile and generic for my tastes, but that's where the whiteflighters are all living. The upper eschelon of residents there work for Gulfstream and other industries out that way. Many are not from the south, so no one will notice.

If you decide you're not thrilled by Pooler, you might enjoy living in Midtown, Ardsley Park, Kensington or even on the islands. There are many moderate democrats in the city and a strong Catholic presence.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:19 PM

49,964 posts, read 63,265,686 times
We live in Pooler, and our Catholic visitors go to Savannah or Garden City to church. We are semi retired transplants from the north and are perfectly comfortable with the vibes here. Although our politics are a bit left of far right, we have no issues fitting in. Come on down. You will find the politics highly amusing, once you figure out there is nothing you can do about them.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:50 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,629,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Come on down. You will find the politics highly amusing, once you figure out there is nothing you can do about them.
Like chalk on a backboard to my ears.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:17 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,257,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Yay. You're perfect and a very desirable transplant.

Pooler seems to be a bit sterile and generic for my tastes, but that's where the whiteflighters are all living. The upper eschelon of residents there work for Gulfstream and other industries out that way. Many are not from the south, so no one will notice.

If you decide you're not thrilled by Pooler, you might enjoy living in Midtown, Ardsley Park, Kensington or even on the islands. There are many moderate democrats in the city and a strong Catholic presence.
Yes for attracting good people. We are liberal oasis in the south. Our sports are art, music, and food. I love it here. It's the only city I'd consider living in downtown. For a small city it's very cosmopolitan, I think due to several universities and schools..SCAD, Armstrong, Sav State, Southern, GSU, the military, and big industries related to the port and aviation. For now I live out in the "country" just 15 minutes out. But there are many options and suburbs. Yes Pooler is sterile. But if that is what you are looking for, there it is. All the other surrounding areas are vibrant, with old trees and older buildings, and interesting characters. However even Pooler would be a nice place to live since you can go downtown door to door in 20 mins. All I have to say is, come visit. You'll know if it's right. I'd recommend at least considering the Islands, downtown and southside. They aren't your typical city surburbs. And could very well be price competitive with Pooler. Drive around, talk to people.

Last edited by SavannahLife; 03-22-2015 at 08:32 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 11:17 PM

974 posts, read 1,138,897 times
By southern standards, politically-speaking Savannah proper might be considered "liberal," but by more mathmatical criteria, it's pretty evenly split. That goes for the Catholic community, too. There are plenty of conservatives among the liberals, and vice-versa. Pooler and other environs are more conservative, and the more urban areas are more liberal, same as most places.

Climate-wise, Savannah has considerably more cooler days in the winter than St. Augustine. It gets quite hot here in the summer, and probably even warmer than St. Augustine on some days. You can probably find good data online about all that.

Tougue-in-cheek, my mother-in-law used to say Yankees are anyone from north of Frogmore, South Carolina.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:52 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,098,242 times
The word "culture" may mean different things to different people. However, Since it means enough to you to mention it, I doubt that Savannah would be a good fit for you.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:05 AM

474 posts, read 581,316 times
Not that it matters, but it's interesting nonetheless, Chatham County went blue in 2012. There is a long, vibrant history of Catholics in Savannah.

I think you'll enjoy it, but like everyone else has said, come visit. Just do yourself a favor; get a car and take a lap outside of the historic district.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:03 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,257,833 times
hm padgett I wouldn't sell us that short. We probably have as much culture as any of the other iconic cities of America. Especially for our size. And big cities. Since here in Savannah, everything is still, well, here. I actually think the poster might really like Savannah. Only way to know, is to see in person.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:32 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,098,242 times
Sometimes "culture" means more than Art, Music, etc. Sometimes it means things like "Jewish Culture" or "Black Culture"

And you are right.....you should come see in person. Savannah may be exactly what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: