Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 09:12 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Construction of 72 new low-income and market rate housing is expected to begin this summer, on the site where the Hitch Village community previously stood, as the first phase of a redevelopment plan for the area.

The Housing Authority of Savannah is counting on the Savannah City Council’s approval of the planned development when the mayor and aldermen meet today in order to get moving on construction of the three-story rowhouse-style apartments in August.

A rezoning request will also be considered, which would allow up to 970 units on the 46-acre site within East Broad, President and Wheaton streets — although only about 580 housing units are planned, said Earline Davis, executive director of the housing authority.

That total includes the 250 existing Fred Wessels apartments, which will be renovated as part of the project.

The zoning change could accommodate additional needs 20-30 years from now, Davis said.
Hitch Village housing plan going before Savannah City Council | savannahnow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:13 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Just saw this online and was really surprised. I had no idea the Hitch Village redevelopment was this far along. Unfortunately, the adjacent Fred Wessell Homes -- which look like Army barracks -- will remain at the VERY high-profile corner of President and East Broad. Ugh.

Now if we can just get rid of Yammacraw ... and the war zone down on MLK at Gwinnett ... and the entire Waters Avenue corridor ... Sigh ....

Old 04-15-2015, 11:46 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times
I'm surprised at how fast they are moving on this as well, but considering the plans the city has for redeveloping the east side I'm not too shocked. I have a feeling that with this project and the President Street roadwork going on; its only a matter of time before something is announced for the Savannah Landings site.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:37 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
As big a mess as the President Street / Gen. McIntosh / Islands Expressway project is ... the amount of earth they're moving already gives you a good idea of how much better it will all be once finished! They've already raised the road bed of Gen. McIntosh several feet. And that will go a long way toward making the SRL site more attractive.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:47 AM

474 posts, read 588,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Unfortunately, the adjacent Fred Wessell Homes -- which look like Army barracks -- will remain at the VERY high-profile corner of President and East Broad. Ugh.
It looks like Fred Wessels is at least pointed for redevelopment at some point. I think this could also be a good place for another downtown grocery store, something more urban and catered to the folks to bike and walk downtown.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:21 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
I'm disappointed there won't be as much dirt turned as I was hoping. Especially on the high profile corners of East Broad.

Hoping this is just the beginning of a much larger vision for the property.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:39 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc100890 View Post
It looks like Fred Wessels is at least pointed for redevelopment at some point. I think this could also be a good place for another downtown grocery store, something more urban and catered to the folks to bike and walk downtown.
I agree much better to bulldoze the development and turn it into commercial space. The city and county don't need to be in the real estate game. Give the people section 8 vouchers good for anywhere in the state.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:29 PM

25 posts, read 21,217 times
Newsboy, with all respect, all that dirt on General Mac is most likely for surcharging purposes, which mashes or compacts the softer ground beneath. That is not to say that the new roads will not be elevated, but my bet on the dirt that you now see is surcharging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area