Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:21 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times

Advertisements

SAV is on a roll this year with adding airlines....
Quote:
The new route also will offer connection to Silver destinations throughout Florida, including one-stop service to Fort Meyers, Key West, Fort Lauderdale, Tallahassee and Pensacola, as well as the Bahamas.

“We are thrilled to be bringing the airline of choice for Florida and the Bahamas to the Southeast,” said Silver Airways CEO Sami Teittinen. “We look forward to providing customers with our convenient and much needed flights linking Savannah-Hilton and Orlando, as well as one-stop connections to other Silver Airways destinations in Florida and Bahamas.”

“The Savannah-Hilton Head International Airport is pleased to hear that Silver Airlines will begin service here in June,” said executive director Greg Kelly. “We have been without direct flights to Florida since 2011 when American Eagle discontinued operations to Miami. … We feel confident that this service will be successful and possibly lead to additional nonstop destinations.”

Silver’s flights are operated with its fleet of 27 34-seat Saab 340B Plus turbo-prop aircraft.

Members of United’s MileagePlus and JetBlue’s TrueBlue customer loyalty programs can earn frequent flyer awards for travel throughout Silver’s network.
Silver Airlines to launch nonstop service between Savannah and Orlando | savannahnow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 09:32 AM

643 posts, read 846,142 times
Wow. So in the last year we got Jet Blue, the airlines to Cincinnati and now this. On a roll.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:36 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
Wow. So in the last year we got Jet Blue, the airlines to Cincinnati and now this. On a roll.
This makes 6 new routes / destinations this year (I think?) not counting the additional service that was added by other airlines in response to JetBlue.

And this new route is going to Orlando International -- NOT Sanford! That's a huge plus if you're making connections to other Florida cities. Going to Disney World? No thanks ... I'd rather drive.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:18 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
I love it! I can't wait to see the numbers next year.

I'm still rooting for Southwest to enter the market!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
That airline you're thinking of is Allegiant with service to Cincinnati, Columbus and Canton-Akron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This makes 6 new routes / destinations this year (I think?) not counting the additional service that was added by other airlines in response to JetBlue.

And this new route is going to Orlando International -- NOT Sanford! That's a huge plus if you're making connections to other Florida cities. Going to Disney World? No thanks ... I'd rather drive.
Hmmm... off the top of my head;

Sun Country with service to MSP

Allegiant with service to CVG, CMH and CAK

and now Silver with service to MCO

What am I missing? (Aside from JetBlue's service which was added last year)

Old 06-11-2015, 11:23 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times
Looks like the service is being put on hold....
Quote:
Lori Lynah, director of marketing and air service development with Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport, said a representative from Silver Airways called Tuesday and said the airline would not be starting the service at the previously agreed date.

A new date has not been set, and Silver Airways has postponed the service until further notice. The flights were scheduled to start June 23, and the company is currently reaching out to customers and providing refunds.

Promotions offered one-way tickets from Savannah to Orlando for $89.

Misty Pinson, director of public relations and communications for Silver Airways, said the airline monitored bookings and market performance for the direct flights and found the market does not support a new route right now.
Silver Airways postpones service from Savannah to Orlando | savannahnow.com

Old 06-11-2015, 06:20 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Boo!

Old 06-11-2015, 09:46 PM

975 posts, read 1,150,159 times
All right, so I know this is just curmudgeon talk, but I have to say, I'm not crazy about these part-time routes to non-hub destinations. What kind of rag-tag airport are we wanting? The Allegiant flights, for instance, are just a couple of times a week. I know it's all we can get, but it would be nice to be able to fly direct to places I want to actually go.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:46 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,429 times
Silver airways is a mess. They were flying from Macon to Atlanta and Orlando for awhile...well I use that verb loosely. They were scheduled to fly, but a huge number of their flights were canceled. Given...Macon's airport passenger wise dried up after Delta pulled out, Silver took the chance, but needed to build a customer base again. Cancelling half or more of your flights doesn't build customer confidence. Rag tag operation if you ask me. You are probably better off that Silver isn't wasting any of your gate space.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:55 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,339,193 times
A little off topic and I am sorry, but what does the SAV airport look like now in terms of flights on mainline aircraft? I know back in the late 90's( which is a lifetime ago in airline) they use to have big 757's from delta fly in, and maybe some from other airlines. That was before the regional jet takeover I know. I figure it's the same thing that has happened in Jacksonville Fl.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:19 PM

474 posts, read 588,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
A little off topic and I am sorry, but what does the SAV airport look like now in terms of flights on mainline aircraft? I know back in the late 90's( which is a lifetime ago in airline) they use to have big 757's from delta fly in, and maybe some from other airlines. That was before the regional jet takeover I know. I figure it's the same thing that has happened in Jacksonville Fl.
It's mostly small regional jets, mostly Embraers and Bombardiers, on Delta and American. JetBlue flies Airbus A320/1s. US and United fly a cocktail of Embraers, Bombardiers, and Airbus A320s.

Delta does have some larger flights from Atlanta to Savannah so I don't think it's out of the question to see a 737 or 757 fly into the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area