Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 06:39 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
You're right about one thing, 912, MOST southeastern ports are indeed unable to handle that volume of liquid fuel on a daily basis, and none of them are owned by KM's partners. But there is one with a dock for ships bound for foreign markets... Kinder Morgan's partner in all this, Marathon, has this terminal in Jacksonville. https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/shows...tory_id=538322

Interesting....but it does look like the same kind of operation Colonial Oil in Savannah is running...oil off of ships, into tanks, into delivery trucks. Maybe the KM pipeline will terminate here. Who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:11 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
BNSF, owned by Warren Buffet, has a MUCH worse record when it comes to transporting oil...via train. I believe the last "oil Train" to catch fire was one of theirs.

My "deal" is that I have a differing opinion than you do, SavannahLife. Got it? You're still a noob when compared to my time on these boards, so don't come at me with your tin hat, black helicopter theories as to why I hold the positions that I do. You have yet to earn that right, my boy. Read back through my previous posts to see why I support this endeavor. Until you understand people have VALID reasons to hold differing viewpoints, don't even come at me. Are we clear?
I am your boy? Well you're wrong on a few counts there. And I read your previous comments. I even quoted them.

Your time on a forum should reasonably give you a reputation, of course. Whether good or bad. But it in no way validates your point in a conversation more than someone who just got here. A new poster be may substantially older or more knowledgeable on an issue for example.

I don't get personal. In fact I feel I feel I almost crossed the line, my bad. I said you sounded like, but took care to say I didn't think you were, actually astroturfing. I criticize ideas, not people. This issue has just got me genuinely confused though on your perspective. I really want to understand your reasoning. The alleged benefits you provided just doesn't seem to measure up to the severe risks. Do you think a pipeline spill is so unlikely here, given their record? Do you think they will operate much more safely in Georgia for some reason? Or do you just have different values of the Georgia coast. Kinder Morgan clearly doesn't value the Georgia coast. I'm actually amazed they didn't even attempt to play nice they went straight to eminent domain. Curious. Since they angered libertarians at the same time as liberals.

To the issue-
1) You think it'll lower gas price. Based on info by Kinder Morgan, what little there is. Is that right so far?
2) You don't value "unhabitable swamp" or its connection to and place in our region.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?

Maybe you don't do outdoor stuff. And that's fine of course. But a lot of us here value the coast and understand a pipeline spill would be serious: It's the volume, the potential time before it's detected, and the location, (i.e. if the leak is in the river or closeby) that are the problem. It could ruin an entire river for years. It won't be just a temporary problem like the Ogeechee fish kill. Is oil transported by rail here? I do know that's precarious.. I know folks near Lac-Mégantic. Like I said if Kinder Morgan could be trusted to construct a quality pipeline I'd support it. And I'd be happy to bet this pipeline will not affect your gas price. If it did, I would bet it is negligible and a poor trade off, at least in my humble opinion.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:12 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
all pipelines should be federal government property with the oil companies paying leasing rates, the feds could then be in charge of maintaining them to high standards, with public records laws in effect.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:23 PM

975 posts, read 1,149,854 times
I am not sure the federal government would do a good job overseeing the operation of pipelines. Personally, I'd be against the idea, and I'm sure it would never fly anyway.

What I'm most against here is the danger inherent in the precedent set by the State of Georgia were they to certify the power of eminent domain for a for-profit company with no burden of proof toward the public benefit of their project. The secrecy that Kinder Morgan has operated under in the years running up to railroading this thing past our unsuspecting citizens doesn't even come close to measuring up to the standard that should be required. They don't answer the real questions about the public benefit, and I'm not giving these guys a pass.

Shame on us if this thing passes. We need to let GDOT and the rest of our state bureaucrats KNOW that this kind of action is un-American and definitely NOT acceptable.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:49 AM

completely agree CoastalGA. That's a well-thought out post.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:53 PM

912 what do you think now? This is unfolding, right now:

Kinder Morgan pipeline leak reaches 300,000 gallons in South Carolina | savannahnow.com

How can we let this company, one of the worst in this businesses, go through with this? Amazing they let this happen now, too. Shows how much they care about quality of work and of safe operation.

There is one more meeting...
-----
DOT Official Palmetto Pipeline Hearing to be held Thursday, May 7 in Waynesboro, GA at the Augusta Technical College campus auditorium at 5pm.

If you cannot attend the hearing, but would still like to submit your comments, you may send to:
Georgia Department of Transportation
10th Floor Office of Utilities
600 West Peachtree Street, NW
Atlanta, Georgia 30308

Old 05-03-2015, 03:56 PM

The Waynesboro hearing this Thursday should be interesting. With a flurry of TV spots against the pipeline project airing over the weekend, and presumably into next week in both the Savannah and Augusta markets, it should bring out a crowd. Does anyone have any idea how large the Waynesboro campus Augusta Technical College auditorium is?

I would encourage you to submit your comments to the address that SavannahLife provided above if you cannot make the hearing. There won't be another chance to make your voice heard!

Old 05-06-2015, 06:59 AM

You're all being used by Colonial Oil to advance their own agenda, which is, to maintain their monopoly over furl pricing & distribution in our area. Under the guise of activist environmentalism, Colonial is doing everything they can to maintain the status quo, which is, to continue to receive product via truck out of Augusta & via ship out of Venezuela.

if you favor lining the pockets of dictators or driving next to rolling bombs on the highway, keep the pipeline out.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:06 AM

912, you're the one being used. Much bigger oil companies who have a different agenda - to export oil refined in the USA right under our feet with no regard for personal property.

And, if you think the pipeline will reduce the amount of "rolling bombs" around here, you've got another thing coming. The pipeline would only serve to increase truck traffic. How else would they get the fuel from the depot in Richmond Hill into town? I don't get it - what are you saying? Think additional hundreds of them.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post

And, if you think the pipeline will reduce the amount of "rolling bombs" around here, you've got another thing coming. The pipeline would only serve to increase truck traffic. How else would they get the fuel from the depot in Richmond Hill into town? I don't get it - what are you saying? Think additional hundreds of them.
The only way that would happen would be if hundreds of additional gas stations opened up in the area. This would not increase truck traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area