Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 03:39 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And that's TAXPAYER dollars being spent to lure Volvo to South Carolina. People complain about Georgia's tax incentives for the film and TV industry, but that's not coming out of the pockets of citizens. It's not even close.

I believe SC is gonna regret this whole thing eventually -- if it doesn't fall apart.
Where do tax incentives come from if not from taxpayers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 05:29 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,543 times
So goosebutt, a giant corp gets a free pass on taxes. To the tune of over 200 mil. But it will come out of the middle class workers? Well, that sounds just like SC. And outer Charleston will devolve (hehe) into Spartanburg? That is.. good? You are making me happier on this event, though... It will be interesting to see if y'all like Charleston better now or in ten years. Here in Savannah we have such a strong planning tradition that with the right city leadership and planning I might even like it more here in 10 years. Might. So long as it doesn't go Spartanburg on us here.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:17 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,440,637 times
Sav Life and Newsboy, why are you still so worried and concerned about Charleston and SC and our plant? Charleston won it a month ago, what else is there for Savannah people to discuss about the plant - in Savannah?

And yes I know this is a Georgia thread, but youre talking about SC so I can comment.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 06-03-2015 at 08:30 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 09:54 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Where do tax incentives come from if not from taxpayers?
Taxpayers typically don't pay anything for tax incentives, if that's what you're getting at. But, if you mean "where do tax incentives come from," well, I suppose those are usually voted into law by officials elected through our democratic process, wherein taxpaying citizens agree on whom should be empowered to make such decisions. So, in that convoluted sense, I suppose all tax incentives do, in fact, "come from" taxpayers.

What tax incentives such as the Georgia Entertainment Industry Investment Act really amount to is a discount (or rebate) on state taxes that would otherwise be paid on qualifying purchases and payments. So, the state theoretically collects fewer tax dollars on such things. But, seeing as how the tax breaks are intended to be an incentive, much of that business presumably would not have occurred in our state in the first place. Still, the most direct answer to your question is "lawmakers, not taxpayers."

Old 06-04-2015, 08:18 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Taxpayers typically don't pay anything for tax incentives, if that's what you're getting at. But, if you mean "where do tax incentives come from," well, I suppose those are usually voted into law by officials elected through our democratic process, wherein taxpaying citizens agree on whom should be empowered to make such decisions. So, in that convoluted sense, I suppose all tax incentives do, in fact, "come from" taxpayers.

What tax incentives such as the Georgia Entertainment Industry Investment Act really amount to is a discount (or rebate) on state taxes that would otherwise be paid on qualifying purchases and payments. So, the state theoretically collects fewer tax dollars on such things. But, seeing as how the tax breaks are intended to be an incentive, much of that business presumably would not have occurred in our state in the first place. Still, the most direct answer to your question is "lawmakers, not taxpayers."
So in that sense, how are tax abatements, discounts, etc. for the film industry any different for manufacturing companies and the like? At the end of the day, they are receiving certain exemptions but yet putting a strain on the infrastructure and services of a community like any other business, and having to maintain that infrastructure and build anew means that taxes will eventually have to fund that.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:04 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,543 times
Businesses don't pay taxes? What? I guess that's because businesses are people? Anyway Sprawltanburg no thank you. That's what I'm getting at. We have an awesome city. Now. And what is string planning?

Big population increase means big changes is all I am saying. Some may be good (maybe we'd get an Ikea or whatnot, gee who knows, and yes I like Ikea) but on the whole, I think massive population growth in Savannah will change its character. Now that's subjective and that is not my argument I'm putting forth. I'm just beginning to notice 'growth is all good' is a meme that seems like it is everywhere unquestioned. I just want people to ask 'Why?' and 'how' before we change the course of the ship is all.

Charleston is also awesome. But on your own board threads on Mt P etc losing its 'charm' grow. For the same reason those of us here watch the Pooler polyp. So, if a new megacorp lands here, it better at least pay its share for new roads etc. Hopefully we don't get taken for a ride like SC. And I hope we continue to be a beacon of planning through the next century.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:28 PM

974 posts, read 1,148,450 times
SL, have you ever made it south of DeRenne? Most land area of Savannah city is really planned pretty poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area