Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 08:22 AM

808 posts, read 1,015,455 times

Advertisements

(via wtoc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 08:35 AM

808 posts, read 1,015,455 times
Don't try to upstage my article by posting to other topics and put my topic down to the 3rd down lol @bellhead

Old 05-19-2015, 09:39 AM

779 posts, read 973,058 times
Kinder Morgan Responds to Georgia DOT Decision on Palmetto Pipeline - NASDAQ.com

Old 05-19-2015, 09:47 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
From the link above:

"We are disappointed with the outcome of our proceedings with the Georgia DOT. We believe that we have more than adequately demonstrated that this project is in the best interests of Georgia's consumers, as it will result in lower costs and provide safer transportation of refined petroleum products to many areas in the Southeast, including specifically many communities in Georgia," said Kinder Morgan Products Pipelines President Ron McClain. "The fact the proposed pipeline is fully supported by long-term commitments from multiple customers seeking safer and more efficient supply options, and that it was so vehemently opposed by certain existing refined petroleum suppliers with vested economic interests in maintaining the status quo of artificially higher prices, is itself compelling evidence that the pipeline will serve needs that are not being met by current supply options. We continue to believe in the viability of the project and its economic benefits to the Southeast region and Georgia in particular, and we plan to pursue all available options to move forward with the project," said McClain."

Boom! Pretty damning argument against Colonial Oil, who used the general public under the ruse of environmental responsibility, to maintain the status quo of inflated gas prices in this region.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:58 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
inflated prices?! Other parts of the country pay a lot more. And if the pipeline comes most will be exported. Even if it wasn't, would gas really go down more than a few pennies? I mean are you expecting gas prices to go down a dollar? No. It will be pennies. Maybe nickels if you're lucky.

Metro Savannah gas prices up nearly three cents | savannahnow.com
"Average retail gasoline prices in Savannah... $2.52 gallon on Sunday, according to GasBuddy’s daily survey of 262 gas outlets in Savannah..."

That's a pretty good price. And the same as the average price in TEXAS is which is $2.50. Average Prices By State - Houston Gas Prices
Which looks about right even for Houston!
KHOU | Houston Lowest Gas Prices - KHOU.com Most around $2.30-2.50

So... um, this price argument just isn't true. Even if it affects price by let's say a nickel or two, to be generous, is saving ten cents worth a potential disaster? Now the jobs argument I can understand. But they will bring most of the crew in from Texas and the full time jobs operating the line will be a handful. So I running out of reasons to support it. Versus a litany of reasons to stand up and strongly oppose it.

Boom indeed. You will need a lot of booms to clean up a spill by pathetically and greedily run company like Kinder Morgan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_%28containment%29

Or maybe Boom! when the Savannah River catches on fire. :/

Old 05-19-2015, 10:26 AM

Sigh....pipelines remain THE gold standard when it comes to safely moving fuels from point a to point b. That cannot be argued or debated.

Compare the price of gas in Savannah vs. that of another city in GA that receives fuel via pipeline: Augusta. You'll find prices there to be 5 to 7 cents cheaper per gallon in Augusta. Comparing prices to another city in another state won't wash, due to differences in state gas taxes.

What you have against lower fuel prices, market competition & improved infrastructure is beyond me. But rest assured, KM will get their pipeline. Their Southeastern offices are in Alpharetta. It'll take longer, but it will come.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:50 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Oh I know, in the end, they'll crush you, me, everyone like a bug. But I feel morally obligated to comment. It's not just our Georgia it's our kids' Georgia.

Of course pipelines are the safest and most efficient, in theory. Kinder Morgan is worse than the average pipeline company though.

Good old Wall Street Journal...
Gasoline Spills at Kinder Morgan Pumping Station in South Carolina - WSJ
EPA: 8,000-gallon gas pipeline cleanup to last weeks
Kinder Morgan pipeline leak reaches 300,000 gallons in South Carolina | savannahnow.com

As to prices. Wow. As you say, 5 to 7 cents cheaper. To risk ruining the Georgia coast. That's an pretty awful cost/benefit don't you think!

And, Point A to B? No... Point A to B to C.

Gas would go to the terminal in the pipeline. Trucks would still take it out to all the gas stations. Point C. And that's when most accidents and spills happen.

What is bigger, a 300,000-gal spill Kinder Morgan tries to cover up and shirk responsibility from? Or one truck on the road.

Fuel by rail is extremely risky. No question there.

Honestly, I'd want all liquid product transported in all states by pipeline. If the companies weren't operating like crap. As is, most conglomerates in all industries are greedy and careless.

On this topic, Palmetto Pipeline, it comes down to a simple concept: what is bigger: one truck spill, or pipeline leak?

That's the cost, in cost/benefit. The benefit is 10 permanent jobs and 5 cents cheaper gas.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:31 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
I must say I am impressed by the knowledge of you two gentleman on this subject. Seriously. Where does the interest/facts/knowledge come from? Background?

Old 05-19-2015, 08:32 PM

975 posts, read 1,149,854 times
912 doesn't care about ecology (see the other thread where he references our coastal wetlands as "uninhabitable swamp"), so you might as well just drop it. To him, it's all the price of gas and the red herring that is pipeline "safety." You can't argue with a wall.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
912 doesn't care about ecology (see the other thread where he references our coastal wetlands as "uninhabitable swamp"), so you might as well just drop it. To him, it's all the price of gas and the red herring that is pipeline "safety." You can't argue with a wall.
Sigh....

Coastal wetlands won't be impacted by the pipeline. ZERO marsh would be impacted. None. Why is that so hard to understand?

The argument all along was to prevent KM from using imminent domain to lay their pipe. heh. That has been shot down. KM is still actively working on the pipeline with landowners up & down the route. The surveying & mapping continues. It may take a little longer, but it will get built. The pipeline is not dead.

CoastalGAGuy must work for Colonial Oil. He's got all of their talking points down pat.

Pink, as for what I do: I'm retired. I was fortunate enough to get in early on this odd technology called cell phones. I helped design a special brace that allowed cell companies to co-locate more antennas in a defined area than had been previously possible. That design has since been modified and improved, but not before I made a pretty penny off of it. Now I spend my time golfing mostly, consulting sometimes as the need warrants. I see those mostly as free vacations.

I know a lot about a lot because I was always paid to be "that guy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area