Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:28 PM

33 posts, read 36,034 times

Advertisements

bellhead- We fell in love with St Augustine, but pretty near impossible to find jobs. Our friends from here moved to JAX and lived there for 2 years and just moved back. Her commute was 1 1/2 hrs one way, each way, every day. He worked from home, but the drive and price of food made them crazy. LOL.

I guess it's all about defining what makes things happy. No snow makes me happy. Being locked in a house for 5 months makes me crazy. It literally started snowing here the week after Halloween last year and 2nd year of windchill temps of -41. -41 is insane. Now we've had weeks of rain....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 06:45 PM

25 posts, read 21,212 times
Bugs in Spanish Moss? We have about sixty Live Oaks here at the house, and I've never seen or been bitten by bugs from the huge amount of Spanish Moss we pick up after every wind or rain storm.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:52 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakaway71 View Post
bellhead- We fell in love with St Augustine, but pretty near impossible to find jobs. Our friends from here moved to JAX and lived there for 2 years and just moved back. Her commute was 1 1/2 hrs one way, each way, every day. He worked from home, but the drive and price of food made them crazy. LOL.

I guess it's all about defining what makes things happy. No snow makes me happy. Being locked in a house for 5 months makes me crazy. It literally started snowing here the week after Halloween last year and 2nd year of windchill temps of -41. -41 is insane. Now we've had weeks of rain....
My new job allows me to work from home two days a week plus I work a alternative work schedule "federal employee" which gives me every other Friday off, my wife is a college professor and I should in 3 years make enough allowing her to stay at home full time. As long as I can clear 6k a month that's all we really need once my daughter is thru with college.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:31 PM

SavavnnahMac- It's what I was told when we visited. I googled just now and this is part of what I have read about chiggers in the moss:

The Spanish Moss-Chigger Connection

While biting chigger larvae climb vegetation to reach their hosts, they don't climb trees to nest in Spanish moss. Spanish moss, however, may become heavy enough to break the branches supporting it or simply fall to the ground as birds tear it apart for nesting material. Once it's there, Spanish moss provides an ideal chigger-to-host ladder. Approach or handle it at your own risk.

It wasn't until we returned that I had read there were bugs similar to bedbugs in the moss. There seems to be some questionable info on that though.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:33 PM

bellhead- it's funny, after we talked earlier, a friend in Asheville said they may be moving to Jacksonville area. She loves the heat, but her husband not so much. They're somewhat afraid it'll be too hot for them.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:55 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,952 times
SavavnnahMac your house sounds very nice! That's a lot of trees!

Hm people always say taxes are lower down south. Well they were lower for me in several New England states NH and ME. Our high sales tax here plus other taxes really hit, as bellhead points out. Hm I have also been thinking lately of retiring to Amelia Island area north of Jax. I wouldn't be keen on living in Jacksonville itself (ie working there) but retiring in one of the beach communities in its metro area may be in the cards when I am old and my days consist of being at the beach. Ocean breezes in the evenings are so nice..

Old 06-23-2015, 05:43 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakaway71 View Post
Spanish moss-chigger connection etc. etc....It wasn't until we returned that I had read there were bugs similar to bedbugs in the moss. There seems to be some questionable info on that though.
Oh brother -- bedbugs? "Questionable info" is the least of it. Spanish moss is big, beautiful, and looms large in Savannah, so people have to create science-fiction tales about the stuff. Some people think Spanish moss is a parasite worse than mistletoe (it is no parasite, as it lives off humid subtropical air and its nutrients). And there's the myth about monster bugs, chiggers, botflies, and other beasties that take up residence *only* in Spanish moss (nowhere else), waiting for the right moment to plop down and infect sweet little children. Give me a break. The plant might have a couple of chiggers rooting around by chance, but tree bark and limbs are where chiggers like be. (Think about it -- would you want to live in a mass of limp vegetation, swaying in the wind and getting soaked with rain if you were a chigger? No, you would not.) I climbed trees with Spanish moss as a kid and we used to lie in it. No bug bites that I recall. Though I do recall fire-ant stings from walking around barefoot -- and twice, when I went swimming in a freshwater lake surrounded by pine trees, I learned what chigger torture is. It is not fun.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:56 PM

masonbauknight- I am laughing. I know zero about Spanish moss, except that I love it. I love all the crooked old trees and the moss. It was the lady we rented the townhome from on VRBO that mentioned the bugs in the moss. She suggested to all her guests on the little info sheet she gives out that no one take it home or the bugs will get you. LOL.

She did forget to mention the fleas that we so handily deposited in her property too that greeted us upon arrival... ugh.

SavannahLife- I never saw Amelia Island on any of our trips down that way. I hear it's beautiful though. The idea of regular beach trips soothes the soul.

On another note.... have been watching the weather in that area. High temps, I got to feel what high temps were like in St Simons Island and really, you don't notice too much on the beach and it got cooler at night when you could take walks and get out and about. I didn't really think it was overly humid there. What is Savannah like with higher temps? Orlando when we were there a few years back it was so humid you could probably cut it with a knife. Having lived in Miami back in the day, I thought Orlando would be like it at night, where it would cool down and the airy would be breezy. It wasn't. You opened the door in Orlando and it pretty much hit you in the face. How is it in Savannah and surrounding area?

Old 06-24-2015, 06:00 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/georg...-compared.html

Old 06-24-2015, 02:47 PM

pink caddy- I'm not sure what exactly you're intending? It was 108 "real feel" temp in Savannah when I looked last week, a couple of days. 108 in AZ is a feeling where it's just hot. You sweat and drip. It Orlando, 100 felt like it took your breath away out in it. It felt thick, able to cut it with a knife.

Was just trying to see if it was just a sweat dripping kind of heat or one that takes your breath away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area