Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:46 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times

Advertisements

These two developments should help liven up the west end of River Street a lot.
8172350_G by brandon walker, on Flickr

8172352_G by brandon walker, on Flickr

8172353_G by brandon walker, on Flickr
Quote:
Two developers are presenting plans to build four hotels, 17 food venues, thousands of square feet of meeting space, a park, live music acts and maybe even a pirate's museum. It would all be near the intersection of River Street and MLK Boulevard.

Hotel Developer, Richard Kessler, is planning to break ground by the end of this year on his three hotels. He says this will be his biggest project to date.

The old Georgia Power plant site on River Street, with its two iconic smokestacks, will also be renovated and expanded for the developments.

Kessler plans to have the work complete by the first quarter of 2018.
Changes coming to River Street - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 10:13 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
Looks nice! I love they are including a park. Now this is how we do it in Savannah.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:26 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
"Should help ... " ?! No! This development will be a game-changer for ALL of the river front. Quite simply, Savannah has never seen a development of this size or calibre -- at least not since the Hyatt Regency 35 years ago

Old 06-28-2015, 10:05 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times
Newsboy, this is true. It will be a game changer not only for the west end of River Street, but for downtown overall as well. I honestly believe between this project, the canal district and the time share project on Hutchinson Island, Savannah overall will look and feel quite different in 10 years.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
"Should help ... " ?! No! This development will be a game-changer for ALL of the river front. Quite simply, Savannah has never seen a development of this size or calibre -- at least not since the Hyatt Regency 35 years ago
Well that's an interesting hotel / building to note... It sure affected riverfront. Not only is it visually.. let's say sub-optimal, but it stole watefront area, created a weird tunnel, and they made no effort to fit in. It gobbled up and stole public space. Plus that first floor room with glass windows on the water with the ugly 80s carpet is always empty. Just imagine.. that could be open waterfront patio with commercial storefronts behind it and some landscaping, like the rest of the Plaza...

The Powerplant is nice. Preserving the stacks, cool. Kessler also did a great job with Rocks on the River.

I wonder if the revitalization on the West End will help lower crime in the region?

Last edited by SavannahLife; 06-28-2015 at 05:51 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 03:49 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Great addition for Savannah. To bad the renderings aren't clearer visually, maybe it's the coloring.
I disagree with Savnnah Life though, I think the stacks should go away. They are a distraction.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:27 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
This will be great. I always felt like the west end of River Street and the historic district as a whole was sort of ignored and I just assumed it was because it is closer to high crime areas--not that I felt unsafe there, but I can see how others could get that impression. That whole area is so close to the core of the historic district that this development should be a catalyst for other developments nearby.

As far as the Hyatt goes, as a visitor...it is weird. I know it happened in the 70s and would never get approved today, but that tunnel thing needs to go. As another poster said, remove that glass banquet room at street level and at least the tunnel becomes open air to the river. I know...never going to happen. At least it serves as a daily reminder to anyone in Savannah who may question the need for such rigid zoning in the historic district!

Old 07-08-2015, 09:21 AM

^ Precisely. I think the historic district spurs creativity and attention to detail. It was what we could call a learning experience! Though the tunnel does create interesting acoustics for the a cappella guyst that are down there often. (they are very good!) The area will get safer, after the Yamacraw projects get relocated farther westward to make space for this revitalization.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:55 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Great addition for Savannah. To bad the renderings aren't clearer visually, maybe it's the coloring.
I disagree with Savnnah Life though, I think the stacks should go away. They are a distraction.
Oh no totally disagree about the stacks. They are quite imposing and can be seen from pretty much everywhere along the river. Will make an excellent light feature.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:46 AM

They are the best part! I hear they will build a room on top of one of them. Just kidding. Although...imagine an elevator running up to an observation deck on them...interesting thought. And dizzying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: