Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 12:20 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,766 times

Advertisements

UPDATE: SSU security remains heightened, anti-violence rally set; GBI says killer still unknown | savannahnow.com

Very sad. RIP Christopher Starks. There was also a fatal shooting on campus last year, too.

When will this stop? What appropriate actions should the City/County/Savannah State take?

While it's mostly a failure at the family and neighborhood level, is there something, anything, that local officials can do? I say more k-12 afterschool programs and activities, more support for training for high school vocational and technical schools, and harsher criminal sentences, with requiring convicts to do community service most of their term such as pick up trash and litter. But then, if they have good behavior, and were nonviolent, help exconvicts to secure jobs so they can get back on track if they have the motivation.

I truly believe part of the root of all this is the current handful of greedy politicians like Edna Branch Jackson and her crony council, sucking money from government so we're short hundreds of police officers, fire fighters, staff for other important community agencies and orgs i.e. Step Up and Healthy Savannah etc. Remember everyone to VOTE this year. The money for that $300 million Arena no one wants could easily fund all that for decades.

But most importantly, get out, get to know your neighbors and talk often. Get involved in the community at your neighborhood level. I am. I was happy to see kids playing at the Wells Park block party last weekend just having a good time. That's our potential in this city, and we can reach it. One neighborhood, one block, one family, at a time. I like it here. Eventually I might even move downtown at some point. I am sticking with Savannah. Who's with me? #SavannahLivesMatter !! I really like this idea, I hope it grows and cities around the US get behind it. Because all lives matter. That's right, I said it. All. Especially our kids. Hopefully some unity will come from the chaos this year. In spite of the media coverage which is definitely worsening the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 02:46 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,994 times
Bring back public hangings and the Guillotine, victims families have their choice!

No we have to limit access to guns and more education.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:35 PM

6,429 posts, read 4,920,252 times
Why isn't crime the #1 issue in the mayoral election? It appears there have been 2 non Democratic party mayors in the last 150 years and they each served 1 term. So basically whoever gets the Democratic nomination is assured of victory. With the huge uptick in crime you would also think the incumbent would be very unpopular. I think you have a wonderful city and I am seriously thinking about relocating there but this non stop crime has me rethinking this. A quote from her web page:

As Mayor Edna will . . .
  • continue to expand community policing policies that have helped reduce our crime rate.
If this is reduced crime I shudder to think what it must have been like before this

Old 08-28-2015, 05:24 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Why isn't crime the #1 issue in the mayoral election? It appears there have been 2 non Democratic party mayors in the last 150 years and they each served 1 term. So basically whoever gets the Democratic nomination is assured of victory. With the huge uptick in crime you would also think the incumbent would be very unpopular. I think you have a wonderful city and I am seriously thinking about relocating there but this non stop crime has me rethinking this. A quote from her web page:

As Mayor Edna will . . .
  • continue to expand community policing policies that have helped reduce our crime rate.
If this is reduced crime I shudder to think what it must have been like before this
There are not enough viable candidates. Let us say the mayor gets replaced. What about the aldermen? Savannah has a lot of bright, youthful potential candidates in business and industry(like the Creative Coast folks, and the real estate folks, and the shopkeepers) but they are not stepping up. The best and brightest are just keeping their heads down and going about their lives. They are busy making hay, and don't need the hassle.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:34 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,766 times
right you are gentle, our community has perhaps above average talent in the wings... but it's always in the wings. I get it though, they don't want to get beat up as a politician. Tom Bordeaux and Carol Bell are decent people, both in what they say, how they behave and what they do. It's very unfortunate Bordeaux is not running again, but then again, I have watched him get beat down, for saying what is RIGHT, in City Council meetings, all of which can be watched on the City website. The rest of them are crooks.

bellhead I used to also be for gun control. Now I live in a neighborhood of responsible gun owners (lot of guys are in the military, responsible, locking them up, kids understand what they are etc). I am not sure I am in this camp anymore. I might get a good NRA score. I mean criminals don't get guns legally. I don't think gun control is that big a priority, except perhaps for assault weapons. Even then, they get AKs. And ban guns, and thugs will use knives. (happens in England - Knife crime in England and Wales up for first time in four years | UK news | The Guardian ) I'll agree with Republicans. Guns aren't the problem. People are. Gosh I can't believe I agree with Fox News. But, Canada has tons of guns. They don't have nearly the violence.

I post on city Data here because I give a damn. I care about the people of Savannah, especially those that are vulnerable or disadvantaged. Like kids, or older generation of African Americans that worked diligently and with great spirit to save for their own house, now are getting a double whammy by getting ransacked or assaulted, by young thugs, such as in Cuyler Brownsville (I have been told this first person by folks there). Or Savannah State. Darn it, a University campus is no place we should have tragic shootings. Or need metal detectors and an army of police everywhere. Big Brother isn't the answer. Some small cities around the world like ours don't have violence. How do they do it? UGH. I wish I could fix it. I want to see our city be a place where kids can play and learn at least in the majority of areas safely and we can walk freely throughout the day.

Thundarr if you move to the right area here you probably won't see any of this crime. My neighborhood has had zero crime incidents, in years. And The Landings and the Islands are safe havens. But not everyone can afford them and I want the whole city to be safe. You will probably not be visiting Cuyler (?) but even so the people there deserve a safe neighborhood. It's in all our best interests. Nothing is more deserving of our tax dollars than public safety and education for all kids across the county. Hopefully maybe we can divert this $ for the Arena into the police dept and education. Anything would be better than a giant building that won't get used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area