U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 13,470 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving South from Akron, OH. We visited Savannah on New Year's of this year and absolutely loved it! My husband has a work from home computer job so we won't have to worry about him getting a job, but I am graduating in May with my master's in Counseling. I've done some research and it seems that there are a lot of mental health centers in Savannah, but do they pay decent?
Also, my big concern is crime. When I visited it wasn't an issue, but I'm hearing alot about crime! What places are the best to live? I know that Wilmington, Tybee, and Whitmarsh islands sound nice, but what about closer to Savannah? Is the historic district safe enough to live in? Also, we're looking to rent before we buy. Any good rental leads or at least local companies that specialize in that type of thing?
I would greatly appreciate any help any of you can give me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 06:54 PM

6 posts, read 23,466 times
Well, I Dont Know Too Much About Ohio, So I Couldnt Really Compare Ohio To Savannah, But I Do Think I Know Enough About Savannah.

When It Comes To Jobs, Well From My Own Expierence And Others I Know, You Usually Can't Just Go In And Get A Job, You Usually Have To Know Somebody And Have Connections. The Pay Isnt As Well As It Is Up North, But It All Evens Out. It Is Much Cheaper In Georgia Than It Is Up North Where They Get Higher Paychecks.

The Crime In Savannah Depends I Guess On Where You Live Now. The Crime Rate Has Gone Up Within The Last Few Years, But If You Are From A Big City That Has A High Crime Rate, You'll Think This Place Is Nothing. If You Are From A Suburban Rural Town, Then Yea, You Are Going To Think This Place Has A High Crime Rate.

I Believe The Best Place To Live In Actual Savannah If You Are Looking For Low-crime Would Be The "southside" (south Savannah). This Is The Lowest Crime Rate Out Of All Savannah, Mainly A Middle To Upper Class Community. Historic District Is Also Nice, Very Expensive For A Decent Place, But They Have More Of A Higher Crime-rate Due To Being Next To The Eastside And Westside. Eastside & Westside Are Where The Crime Rates Are The Highest. East & West Are Mainly The Ghetto Section Of Town. A Lot Of The City Is Still Segregated, People Usually Refer The Southside To Be The "white" Side Of Town And The East & West "black" Side Of Town.

I Would Have To Say Its A Lot More Backwards Than It Is Up North, A Lot Of People Still Are Very Bigot And Hold On To Their Old Beliefs, If You Are Like That Than Yea, You'd Like It, If Not, Its A Challenge. Overall Though I Believe That Its A Good City To Live In And Raise A Family In If You Have Children Or Plan On Having Any. The Crime Most Of The Time Doesnt Just Happen To Random People, The Victims Are Usually Linked To The Suspect On Drugs Or Such Cases, So I Believe Its Not That Bad If You Stay Out Of Trouble. But Overall, I Think Its Nice.

I Wouldnt Know Where To Look For Houses To Rent Online, But I Could A Penny Saver And Scan The Houses For Rent Ads On Here Or Give You The Numbers Of The Realtors In Charge Of Renting Out Houses.

Hope This Helped And Good Luck!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 23,243 times
Hi! I actually found this site as I was searching for some comparable rentals here in Savannah. I am the asst. property manager for Jerry Wardlaw's rental Division. I would be so happy to help you find something, and give you advice about the scetchy area's you may want to stay away from. We have rentals with the option to buy all over, and I could most likely find you something within your price range, and with all the features you might need. We were just given a LOT of new houses, so let me know, and I'd love to get some pictures to you in the near future. My email is [EMAIL="dparrish@jcwconstruction.com"]dparrish@jcwconstruction.com[/EMAIL]. Even if it's just advice i give you...I'm more than willing to help.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:27 PM

24 posts, read 144,579 times
I used to live in Kentucky, so I know a bit about Ohio...You definitely want to make sure you have a job before you get here, or at least have a heads up on leads because Savannah is horrible when it comes to job hunting...then again, I'm just a college student (service oriented jobs seems to be the norm here)...SAvannah is very pretty, and charming, but its got A LOT of problems. Crime per capita is higher than a lot of major cities, there's only a bit over 100k but the crime rate is ridiculous. The tourist areas are fine (which is probably where you were), but you just need to be careful of where you're going. The best thing to do, if you want to live in SAvannah, is to look at the Southside, also there are some really nice areas downtown, you just have to be sure you're on the right side (for instance, there's a good 63rd Street and a bad 63rd street), I haven't been here long enough to know which side the bad side is, but I know it when I go down them, but along Abercorn Street it's really nice...if you go down Montgomery Street keep driving...Anyhoo, I hope that helped.

I think it was Queen Elizabeth (correct me if I'm wrong) that said "Savannah is a pretty girl with a dirty face"...it has much potential to be really nice, but some of these people here need to get it together, seriously.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:35 PM

24 posts, read 144,579 times
I agree Southerngirl, I just moved here from Arizona, and of course, out west it is very FREE out there. I had to remind myself of how it is down south, I haven't run into any problems at all, but I know how the south is. Its a totally different culture down here. Then again, Savannah is not your average town, I mean the crime rate puts it in a different category from other cities the same size, the river downtown offers you River Street that has a lot of clubs and bars, you have SCAD (sav college of art and design) one of the top art schools in the country here which gives it an eccentric flair (I love Broughton Street! Reminds me of Manhattan without all of the tall buildings and stinky streets), there is suprisingly a lot to do here...

Cora Bett Thomas (you may want to google that, I may have her name wrong) is a realtor who always has really nice rentals, no crap..

Since you're in Akron you'd probably have a pay cut, the economy is not huge here, its terrible. I think it could be a lot better. However, I'm not the mayor.......yet!

Old 02-09-2008, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 13,470 times
Smile Thanks!

Thank you so much for your replies! I really appreciate all of you taking the time to write back to me. I did take a look at the Cora bett thomas site and i love some of her rentals. I was looking at Whitmarsh or Wilmington island.....I'm assuming that those are pretty nice areas, but I'm not sure. Any help you could give I would greatly appreciate!
Thanks

Old 02-15-2008, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 32,844 times
Carlib54, we live in Wilmington Island currently. It is very quiet and most people who buy houses in the area are family with kids because it currently has the best elementary school in the are (coastal and may howard). It also has great private school (st. andrews). The house that you see in Paula Deen's show is situated in the Wilmington Island. Her boys and their families live in the island too. The median price of houses around her is around mid to high 200s, although you probably can find deals with the current housing market situation.

I have nothing but good things to say about Wilmington Island. The view is to die for, marshes, water...so peaceful. And you are only 12 miles away from the beach. Crime is low, as long as I lived her I have never experienced anything bad in the island. I used to live in the downtown where my bicycle got stolen twice in two months.

I have lived in the Island for around 4 years and sadly, will be relocating for a job to Atlanta. Sigh...

I am also looking to possibly rent out my house in the Island.

If you have anymore questions, please let me know.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,311 times
Default Wilmington Island

I have been living in Savannah for a year now and love it. We have been on Wilmington island the whole time and just bought a house on Wilmington island. In my opinion, it is the best place to live because it is near the beach and also 20 min from downtown Savannah. Low crime rate, beautiful scenery. One can't beat it for beauty and convenience. It's a great family place.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:08 AM

41,092 posts, read 50,849,012 times
We just moved from Medina, OH last year and we love it. Cora Bett Thomas is a great place to find a rental and also Judge Realty. They are both great companies with nice people.
You would enjoy living in the historic district at first where you will be close to the pulse of Savannah. From there you can decide if you would prefer another area instead.
We were happy to miss last winter in Ohio...heard it was brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: