Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2015, 10:02 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times

Advertisements

Another insightful article from Bill Dawers. I have to agree with him about the city's changing demographics, I believe the current crop of incompetent leaders are slowly on there way out. The new people coming to the city are tired of the old ways of doing business and want change. As far as the runoff election of Dec 1 goes, I think Mary Osborne will lose and I think there's a good change DeLoach may win and even though Shabazz won re-election it was still a close race. Mark my words, the 2019 and especially 2023 city races will truly usher in a new city government in Savannah.

Quote:
I don’t think the term “gentrification” conveys the nuances or the root causes of the changes, but it is certainly true that we’ve seen a steady outflow of black residents and an influx of white residents over the last couple of decades.

The trends seem to have accelerated as the economic recovery has strengthened, so the estimates from the 2010 U.S. Census are probably already obsolete. As I’ve noted before, city officials actively reinforced the gentrification trends with the demolition of two blocks of affordable housing in Meldrim Row.

I bought a house several blocks south of Forsyth Park in 1996, so I’ve had a front row seat for the changes.

Parts of the Thomas Square neighborhood and adjacent Metropolitan neighborhood were once in the city of Savannah’s First District, but we are now in the Second District, where incumbent Alderwoman Mary Osborne faces an uphill battle in a runoff against challenger Bill Durrence.

The shifting political winds and changes in neighborhood demographics can be seen in the votes cast at two key polling places: Bull Street Baptist Church and Williams Court Apartments.

In her 2011 runoff against Jeff Felser, Mayor Edna Jackson took 68 percent of the vote at Williams Court and 49 percent at Bull Street Baptist.

In the 2015 general election, Jackson managed only 43 percent of the vote at Williams Court and just 32 percent at Bull Street Baptist. Challenger Eddie DeLoach took 26 percent at Williams Court and 37 percent at Bull Street Baptist.

Murray Silver, a true outsider candidate who managed just 12 percent citywide, took 28 percent at Williams Court and 30 percent at Bull Street Baptist. Those were Silver’s strongest precincts in the city.

So what do all these numbers add up to?

The data reflect the broad dissatisfaction south of the Forsyth Park with the current city administration’s poor handling of a host of issues, including the revised alcohol ordinance, traffic calming, the non-existent food truck ordinance, the noise ordinance and, of course, crime.

The voters south of Forsyth Park are broadly liberal, but many have chosen not to support Jackson, the most traditional liberal in the mayoral race.

The neighborhoods south of Forsyth Park are paradoxically brimming with confidence about Savannah’s potential, but there is a sense that the current city government stands in the way.

There obviously aren’t enough votes in the Thomas Square and Metropolitan neighborhoods to determine the outcome of the three races that are going to a runoff, but candidates ignore the changing demographics and the changing expectations for leadership at their peril.
CITY TALK: Savannah's Second District election returns reflect changing demographics | savannahnow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 07:46 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
I wish I was wrong but I bet that corrupt idiot Osborne will win. And Edna. I can't believe Shabbazz won. A racist, corrupt, and lazy. And lately I have been hearing good things about DeLoach from people. But Edna has the machine politics that have bought and paid for her re-selection. They have gerrymandered their way around the demographics.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:13 AM

975 posts, read 1,149,545 times
Liberal and Conservative means a lot less on the local level - local races are about issues more than grandiose talk and combative ideas. Jackson did a poor job of marshaling the issues and her team during her term in office, and I'd argue that's what's more changing the vote this time around. The results of her tenure at the post have not been good, and that's true no matter where you live or what color is your skin.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:11 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Liberal and Conservative means a lot less on the local level - local races are about issues more than grandiose talk and combative ideas. Jackson did a poor job of marshaling the issues and her team during her term in office, and I'd argue that's what's more changing the vote this time around. The results of her tenure at the post have not been good, and that's true no matter where you live or what color is your skin.

All my days would be a lot brighter if this is true. I hope you're right.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:12 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,335 times
Pink, yes, me too. Hope you're right Coastal.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:27 PM

975 posts, read 1,149,545 times
Well, I'm not making any predictions, but it certainly was a much closer election this time around - you know the demographics didn't shift THAT much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area