Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times

Advertisements

I think something like this could be a worthwhile proposal. Anything that can get rid of blight and help improve an area I support.

Quote:
When it comes to blight in Savannah, city spokesperson Bret Bell said right now, there aren't a lot of ways for the city to take on the problem.
"No one wants to live next to a blighted property it drags down property values in the neighborhood," said Bell on Monday, adding, "our tools right now are very limited we have very strong property rights taxes in Georgia."

To give the city more tools to reduce the amount of rundown buildings, the City Council is considering a Community Redevelopment Incentive Tax, also known as the Blight Tax.

"That's really who this is going after is the worst of the worst."

The ordinance outlines the process for code enforcement to notify a property owner about the blight status. The owner then has an opportunity to make the necessary improvements and changes.

"If they don't do the right thing then we will gradually increase the amount of taxes they pay by a base factor of seven."

Bell said the tax isn't about going after houses that need a new coat of paint.

"Just because a house is an ugly house doesn't mean it's blighted it has to meet certain criteria."

He said it's about revitalizing the community.

"It's one of our top priorities because it does relate to public safety and quality of life."
City considers 'Blight Tax' proposal - Story | Savannah | WJCL News | Working for You | WJCL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 04:16 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Same old, same old, wet dish rag being tossed around the conference table.Enacting a law like this might be easy but enforcing would have to go to the Supreme Court LOL. I don't think our city people have that level of expertise.

Let me remind y'all we have in Savannah a Property Maintenance Department that is charged with the responsibily of doing the same job but issuing fines (other than raising taxes). Want to know what kind of job they do??? Look around at all the blight...there's your answer.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:39 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,952 times
Great post pink. instead of passing new laws, let's enforce the ones we have on the books. Get the city staff we have to do their job. Now, it is probably not all on the shoulders of the rank and file staff. There is one person in charge of the City staff.

One person that has the single most powerful job in the county. The City Manager. She could use that position to marshal the legions of city staffers, for a very positive 2016. But it is time for a change, to find a new City Manager to start with. Then, let's see what departments are still lagging. Maybe it's property maintenance, maybe it's police, but who knows, until we have a change in management, right?

Old 01-05-2016, 06:55 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
SL, election time was back in November. Get with it!

This proposal is a good idea and kills two birds with one stone.

Last edited by WanderingImport; 01-05-2016 at 07:09 PM..

Old 01-05-2016, 11:54 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
Sounds good on paper, but remember, if someone isn't keeping their property up, it's usually because they can't afford to.
So now you are going to tax them for that. If they can't afford to fix it , how are they going to pay the extra tax?
I know; take the property away from them and sell it to someone who can repair it, then tax them for fixing it up.
Win win for the city. Bad bad for the poor folks.
Must be a better way don't you think? Not that I have the answer, because I understand the problem.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

Curious-what two birds? I think you counted your money before it was in your pocket.LOL. Many of us are prone to that, not to worry.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:01 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

You realize the City Manager is appointed right? It appears the time to appoint a new one has arrived.

I thought more about this. It's coming from the wrong direction. Taxing people too poor to maintain their property, or slumlords who are scofflaws. Neither will pay more regardless, they clearly don't care and/or can't afford to. Why not incentivize instead? Maybe a tax discount for the top "x" amount of properties that are 'most improved' yearly or quartlerly, in specific areas? (only applicable to blighted areas, obviously we don't need to give money away to fancy B&Bs in wealthier areas) Just an idea. Maybe there are other ways to use a carrot not a stick, ideas anyone?

Old 01-06-2016, 07:04 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
How about eminent domain? The city gives 30 days for the property owner to show progress. If not, the city takes the property, reimburses the owner for current value, rehabs it or tears it down, then sells the house or the lot at a profit.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
How about eminent domain? The city gives 30 days for the property owner to show progress. If not, the city takes the property, reimburses the owner for current value, rehabs it or tears it down, then sells the house or the lot at a profit.

Another Supreme Court case. My, my, how many cases can our city government handle?

Old 01-06-2016, 10:52 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I'm pretty sure many derelict property owners would welcome the easy out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: