Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 03:12 PM

28 posts, read 67,733 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip for a convention in Savannah next year. It will be held at the Savannah International Trade and Convention Center. I am looking for a hotel that is very near by (I don't plan to have a car). It looks like all of the hotels are on the other side of the river from the convention center. Is that correct? What area should I put into the search engines when I'm looking for lodging. It seems like Downtown would be too far.

How is the/is there public transportation that is reliable? It seems like I could get a shuttle from the airport but I'm not sure about everywhere else.

Also, is there anything good going on on the side of the convention center. I'm thinking about shopping, restaurants, etc. I'm not into nightlife but I would like someplace to have a nice dinner. Also, I will be travelling alone so safety is a major concern.

Thanks-!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 04:43 PM

974 posts, read 1,149,191 times
You want to book a room at the Westin Harbor Resort: Savannah GA Hotels | The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa. It's basically adjacent to the SAVTCC.

For what it's worth, there is a river taxi that runs every 20 minutes between 7AM and Midnight between River Street and the Trade Center. http://catchacat.org/_meta/downloads...s_Schedule.pdf

There are several hotels right on River Street or Factor's Walk that would be easy walking distance.
The River Street Inn
The Hyatt
The Cotton Sail Hotel
The Bohemian

And, frankly, many, many others. Bay Street is almost entirely hotels, and the walk is not too bad if you don't mind a few cobblestones. All the good stuff is on the other side of the river, in town. Hutchinson Island is basically nothing but the Westin and its golf course, the Trade Center and a smattering of townhomes. There are no restaurants outside the hotel.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:38 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,704 times
the CAT shuttle bus to the airport is great. just under 20 mins. And it's one of those nice small comfy ones. The ferries across the river and back are free. Many great restaurants, but most of them are actually not on the river. Venture inland. Enjoy Savannah!

Old 02-27-2016, 05:28 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
^^ "Inland" meaning off River Street I suppose? Big difference between "on the river" and Bay Street . A number of excellent restaurants are on Bay making it very convenient for OP.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:53 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,704 times
True! Several good ones up there. Most River st ones are bland and overpriced except Rocks where you pay for the view. Haven't been to Cotton Sail though, I wonder if they are good? I hear Chart House is good but I haven't been there yet either. There are many good places on and near Broughton St too only a few blocks away.

Last edited by SavannahLife; 02-27-2016 at 02:06 PM..

Old 02-28-2016, 08:10 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoNY View Post
I am planning a trip for a convention in Savannah next year. It will be held at the Savannah International Trade and Convention Center. I am looking for a hotel that is very near by (I don't plan to have a car). It looks like all of the hotels are on the other side of the river from the convention center. Is that correct? What area should I put into the search engines when I'm looking for lodging. It seems like Downtown would be too far.

How is the/is there public transportation that is reliable? It seems like I could get a shuttle from the airport but I'm not sure about everywhere else.

Also, is there anything good going on on the side of the convention center. I'm thinking about shopping, restaurants, etc. I'm not into nightlife but I would like someplace to have a nice dinner. Also, I will be travelling alone so safety is a major concern.

Thanks-!
You can stay at The Weston on the convention center side of the river, or any of the hotels on the other side, on River St., or Bay St, between MLK and E Broad St.. As others said, the free boat shuttles go back and forth across the river all day long, so you do not need to worry about getting to the Convention center and back.
Once you get here you will have a ton of great restaurants to choose from.
I am pretty sure that many of the historic district hotels have airport shuttles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: