Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 07:05 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The U.S. General Services Administration announced Monday it is set to begin work on a $95.5 million design and construction of a courthouse annex at the federal courthouse in Savannah.

The funds would be for a 46,000-square-foot annex and inside parking as well as repair and renovation of the Tomochichi courthouse on Wright Square.

The local project is predominately for the repair and alteration of the existing courthouse with a portion of the funding for construction of a new annex in Savannah and four other regional projects identified by the federal judiciary as their top priorities.

The investment allows the federal agency to leverage its resources to, in part, foster economic development in local communities.

In addition to Savannah, new federal court facilities are planned in Nashville, Tenn. Charlotte, N.C., Greenville, S.C., and Anniston, Ala.

The Savannah project will provide four courtrooms and five chambers to accommodate five judges — one active district judge, one senior judge, one visiting judge, one magistrate-judge and one bankruptcy judge.

Other court-related tenants would include the District Court clerk, U.S. Probation, U.S. Justice Department, U.S. Attorney, U.S. Marshals Service and a U.S. Senate office.

This project received prior appropriations in the fiscal years 1995 and 1996 2010 totaling $13.5 million.
Feds announce plans for $95.5 million construction for Wright Square courthouse | SavannahNow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 12:59 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
So they're gonna gut the inside of the building and leave the outside as is? I don't really understand

Old 04-19-2016, 01:41 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
From talking to someone in the know..

The judges are not happy with the building and want their chambers and courts updated. Also the judges want inside parking and have a short walk to their chambers.

Federal judge offices are way nicer than anyone outside of the executive branch and congressional leadership.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:33 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
For nicer offices hm. To keep up with the Law & Order image? Imagine what else we could do with the funds for public safety. Now making the courthouse more energy efficient, ok. I walk by and can feel the AC like it's a cave venting cool air from 20 feet away when the doors are open which is always. solution might just be to tell those guard people to close the darn door. Anyway, what have they been doing for the past year? Far as I could tell it was putting up scaffolding and...?? Put up a sign that says GSA $ is all I noticed. Money goes one way, like this, while problems are in a different direction, like a father walking his two kids home and getting shot on MLK this Sunday. Which is the court system priority.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
For nicer offices hm. To keep up with the Law & Order image? Imagine what else we could do with the funds for public safety. Now making the courthouse more energy efficient, ok. I walk by and can feel the AC like it's a cave venting cool air from 20 feet away when the doors are open which is always. solution might just be to tell those guard people to close the darn door. Anyway, what have they been doing for the past year? Far as I could tell it was putting up scaffolding and...?? Put up a sign that says GSA $ is all I noticed. Money goes one way, like this, while problems are in a different direction, like a father walking his two kids home and getting shot on MLK this Sunday. Which is the court system priority.
You should see the Judges offices in Jacksonville and the law library on the 9th or 10th floor on Hogan street there.

I wanted to take a photo but they have a strict no photo policy. The chambers were about 2,000 square feet of 1960's old boy money opulence. Secretary, Conference room, 14 foot conference table inside the office. 8 foot hard wood executive desk, corner office, and a private bathroom with a shower. The law Library takes up 1/2 of the floor with views over Western Jacksonville.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:59 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
wow, that's interesting. Hm I'd be happy with them having all that, if we use minimal tax dollars, and use nonviolent inmate labor. And they get a good skill carpentry to use when they get out. Heh. I have many pipe dreams. Although I have to say a part of me would love to see all this wood panel and furniture goodness. A law library.. hm don't they use WestLaw? But.. that doesn't look as old school lawyerly.. but of course, I do declare..

Old 04-21-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
wow, that's interesting. Hm I'd be happy with them having all that, if we use minimal tax dollars, and use nonviolent inmate labor. And they get a good skill carpentry to use when they get out. Heh. I have many pipe dreams. Although I have to say a part of me would love to see all this wood panel and furniture goodness. A law library.. hm don't they use WestLaw? But.. that doesn't look as old school lawyerly.. but of course, I do declare..
Non-violent inmate labor, they'll get killed by the prevailing wage teamster if they take their jobs. You better bring in the bad boys to face the teamsters.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:04 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Non-violent inmate labor, they'll get killed by the prevailing wage teamster if they take their jobs. You better bring in the bad boys to face the teamsters.
You gotta love SAVANNAH LIFE for her relentless optimism of a perfect world order ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area