Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 12:37 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,890,262 times

Advertisements

There... I figured I needed a "hook" for my title!

As those strange folks say when they call radio talk shows, "long-time listener, first-time caller."

Borderline elderly (in gay years, in real life I'm 53) single GWM has been eyeballing Savannah for quite a while. Because of my age I'm far too old to date, but I do involve myself in community activities and voluntarism. I'm waaaay on the other side of the country, in Palm Springs CA. Oddly enough, we have some similarities in our cities - smallish tourist destinations that "punch above their weight", so to speak, with considerably more amenities than a town this size should have. In the case of PS, it was due to a few decades of coasting on its former reputation as the "playground of the stars", but now it's finding a new reputation as a major destination for mid-century modern architecture (which I loathe - every home looks like a suburban dentist's office) as well as maintaining its cachet as a major snowbird destination with the one highway through the area packed during winter with license plates from Saskatchewan, Alberta, Washington, Oregon and British Columbia. It's also a major gay destination, with Palm Springs Pride weekend being a huge event - mostly because it's dead last on the gay pride calendar, being in mid-November (because of the summer heat).

Speaking of the heat, the summer weather has me knackered, and we're only halfway through this season. You haven't lived until you've walked out of work when it's 122 degrees - it's as if you open the oven to check on your biscuits and just stick your head inside a little too far. 122 is a bit abnormal, though, but 1-teens are becoming more routine. We're in the fifth consecutive year of drought conditions here, and we're having vastly more days of "above average" temperatures. The average high for this date is 108.

That said, I've been reading a gazillion posts here and have fallen in love with Newsboy's informative posts and his writing style (with a large silver runner-up medal to gentlearts). I did visit Savannah once, a long time ago, before my old age set in, so I've forgotten most of it except that absurdly long line to get into Paula Deen's place and being shoved around inside like I was cattle. Yeah, I'm fat, but don't shove me around and then expect me to pay you for the privilege!)

My two questions today - first, my only reliable way to get there would be to transfer within my company, and the closest location we have is Hardeeville (Coastal Carolina Hospital). Do people do that commute northbound out of Savannah? It isn't far, but is that doable? Is it a "reverse commute"? Is it nasty in high season, if I'm heading back south at 5pm?

Second - yes, I have to bring up the humidity, and I know this is an apples vs. oranges discussion and everybody has their own subjective opinion - but if anyone has any experience in both types of climate, would you rather take 115 and low humidity, or 95 and higher humidity? (That said, PS is on the western edge of the weather phenomenon called the Southwest Monsoon, which increases humidity and thunderstorms in Arizona, New Mexico and far western TX this time of year. We don't get much, but when we do, it's *moist* here. Yesterday was 110 and about 30% humidity plus a little bit of smoke drifting past from a forest fire outside of LA - yesterday was nasty.)

Opinions anyone? Please and thank you. I return you now to your regularly scheduled programming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 07:52 PM

13,705 posts, read 21,976,986 times
I'm in love with anybody who's in love with Newsboy ... as long as you're not a wacko job. Which you most definitely are not, from the sound of things.

Come for a visit. I'll be glad to show you a good time ... uh ... I mean "around."

Old 07-24-2016, 08:35 PM

Oh my, I'm so wacko I've looped around the curve and came back around to normal from the other side. I'm so wacko I've run for public office - *twice*.

I know I have to get out there again, but it probably won't be until perhaps xmas/birthday/new year's. When you get to my age, making it up to midnight on New Year's Eve is tough so going three time zones to the right sounds like a good idea.

Any thought as to either of those questions?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:40 AM

23,528 posts, read 44,214,555 times
53 and far too old to date? C'mon...you're never too old to pull out the ball gown.
Anyway, I say bring it; you sound like a hoot. I'd be honored to be your hag. Also, thanks for introducing me to the term 'knackered'.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:24 PM

10,059 posts, read 15,731,807 times
You had me at "every home looks like a suburban dentist's office". Welcome.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
53 and far too old to date? C'mon...you're never too old to pull out the ball gown.
Anyway, I say bring it; you sound like a hoot. I'd be honored to be your hag. Also, thanks for introducing me to the term 'knackered'.
Oh dear... but you haven't seen me in a ball gown! My decolletage has sagged so far south, I've gotta cross the equator to find my cleavage.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:52 PM

13,705 posts, read 21,976,986 times
OK, let me clear the first two questions out of the way:

1. Coastal Carolina Hospital is at I-95 Exit 8 (8 miles across the state line) which is about a 20 minute drive from downtown Savannah. So yes, the commute is absolutely doable -- and then some. (I have a good friend who commutes daily from Wilimington Island in east suburban Savannah to Bluffton, SC with no complaints.)

2. As the popular saying goes, it's not the heat -- it's the humidity. But IMO both are overated here. Does it get hot? Yes. Is it hot and miserable all year? Far from it. What we suffer through in summer, we make up for in fall, winter and spring. And fact remains, right now it is hot and miserable EVERYWHERE in the United States. Just five minutes ago I had a conversation with a tourist from Ohio who said it's more pleasant in Savannah right now than it is in the Midwest. And I hear this all the time. Plus, as I'm sure you are aware ... There is this amazing invention called AIR CONDITIONING that makes summer months tolerable. It's the people who think you should be able to live WITHOUT AC that are the real freaks ... Not us!

NOW FOR THE PERSONAL: You and I have a lot in common. Love your writing style as well. Private message me if you want to know more.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You had me at "every home looks like a suburban dentist's office". Welcome.
See? I'm not wrong!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-ce...California.jpg

Old 07-26-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
OK, let me clear the first two questions out of the way:

1. Coastal Carolina Hospital is at I-95 Exit 8 (8 miles across the state line) which is about a 20 minute drive from downtown Savannah. So yes, the commute is absolutely doable -- and then some. (I have a good friend who commutes daily from Wilimington Island in east suburban Savannah to Bluffton, SC with no complaints.)
Thanks. There's no seasonal rush? Do people pour into Savannah on a Friday night? (They would if *I* lived there, if only to point and laugh - but that's another story) Would I be fighting nasty tourist traffic 3-4-5 months out of the year?

Quote:
NOW FOR THE PERSONAL: You and I have a lot in common. Love your writing style as well. Private message me if you want to know more.
There's *more*?

Old 07-30-2016, 12:44 PM

Thanks folks for the brief bit of assistance. From studying various climatological statistics and comparing them to my personal preferences and history, I came to the decision this morning to eliminate your fine area from further consideration - it's far too humid and rainy for my liking, and I'm far too inflexible to try something that different in my old age. Thanks tho for taking the time to answer my couple of questions. Perhaps they will be helpful to future generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area