Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2016, 01:10 AM

7 posts, read 15,234 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, greetings from Pennsylvania!

I am planning to move to Savannah sometime in October as I just landed a job there. I was there for two days for my job interview, and loved the feel of the city. Unfortunately, I got to explore the city very very little during my stay there. As a young professional with no friends/relatives there, I was thinking of living in downtown to, maybe, meet new people, but mostly to experience city life that's dynamic. I am not big on going out, but I would still want to live in a dynamic neighborhood, where even by just walking blocks, I can see and feel life on the streets, if you know what I mean.

So, with that in mind, I have found two apartments. An apartment (apt A), needing two other roommates, on West Hall Street just couple blocks from the Forsyth Park, and by SCAD, that is well within my budget.
Another is, The Hue apartment (apt B) at 646 W Bay St. which is also within budget, assuming I find roommates.

From my online-researched and googlemaps viewed perspective, apt A is closer to the park, and would have easy access to having a nature/green feel while living in a city. So I kinda like that aspect. However, I am not sure if the area is happening, or dynamic. Apt A also requires street parking, so I'm kinda worried it might be difficult to park close by the apartment as it is near a SCAD building. Also, I don't think apt A has been recently renovated so it'd kinda be like moving in to an old house, so I'm not super pumped about that.
Apt B is on the Bay street which seems to be a dynamic street with lots of shops/restaurants and foot traffic. However, apt B is almost at the NW edge of the main downtown block, right by the highway, so I am not sure how dynamic it might be where it actually is situated. Also, it probably gets highway noise constantly? That being said, it does have a parking garage so I won't have to scout for parking spots on the streets. I also like the fact that it's a new apartment, which would mean, generally speaking, facilities should be new and working, and I'd actually feel like I'm moving to a new place and starting fresh. I think I like the idea of living in an apartment, that has a fresh and new feel to it, than a traditional house.

I would really appreciate it if current/recent Savannah residents could give some input on the area these two apartments are located at. Also, if you have any suggestions/inputs on anything Savannah related, I would greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by durlav1n1; 08-23-2016 at 01:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 03:14 AM

7,125 posts, read 11,729,730 times
Default Put "East" in your address.

My opinion is you can solve the problem by going East of the park. I have heard negative things from SCAD students about the area HUE is in.

Good luck.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,068 times
Go with Apt B. It's nice to have a private parking spot. Crime is high here. Bay ST is great place but tends to get busy with tourists.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:39 PM

Is this housing on the other side of the Bay Street bridge away from downtown? I'm not good with geography so excuse me.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:50 AM

7 posts, read 15,234 times
@pinkcaddy, The Hue apartment is on the same side as the downtown, but basically right next to the bridge. It's the last housing going west before the bridge, on the north side of the Bay street. (It's west of the Comfort Suites)

Old 08-27-2016, 11:39 AM

My recollection is that's not a very attractive setting.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,494 times
Beware, Savannah is very high in crime. Muggings and shootings on daily basis. I have teenage daughters who do not go downtown at night. Reports of muggings and shootings in and around areas of forsyth park. My daughters are privy to alot of information reported by others via facebook. Because Savannah receives alot of income from tourists, alot of crime is not public unless reported by media. just be careful!

Old 09-15-2016, 11:01 AM

13,704 posts, read 21,987,752 times
Where will job be located? For a young single girl new to the city, I'd recommend living in a newer, safer apartment complex (perhaps in Pooler) for at least the first 6 months until you learn your way around and make friends, especially if you're needing roommates. This is what I did many yews ago (I'm a guy) and I don't regret it. The "not knowing"' part can create a lot of undue stress and heartache.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:02 PM

4,119 posts, read 6,626,742 times
Where is your job located? Try to live close to work.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:18 AM

50,443 posts, read 64,284,255 times
I am concerned about how you will find two roommates when you dont know anyone? Maybe look at being a roomate in an existing situation at first, while you get your bearings. Lots of young people live in both areas you are considering. The Hue looks nice enough, but it is close to the edge of downtown, where the projects are. Near Forsyth is a pretty area. Either is walking distance to all the fun stuff.

I think you are right to want to be in walking distance to all the happenings in the historic district, but as others have said, you will need to be cautious about safety. This being said, thousands of students and tourists live and work there without incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: