U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 11:36 PM

4,527 posts, read 7,798,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I believe the Jimmy Deloach Parkway extension to I-16 will begin in 2018.
Thank you for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
It's only like 1.5 miles from the current terminus to I-16. I think the biggest part of the project will be the flyover over US 80 and redesigning the exit at Bloomingdle Road.
Exactly. I'm curious how it will tie in together along with a widened Bloomingdale Road. It will be widened, right? And redesigned exit, too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 05:49 AM

6,471 posts, read 5,785,168 times
Quote:
Imperial Frozen Foods, the latest chilled foods company to have a presence close to our ports, last week cut the ribbon on its state-of-the-art $2.4 million processing facility on Eli Whitney Boulevard.

Founded in 1938 as Fruitcrest Preserve Co., makers of jams and jellies, the company — already a major buyer of fruits — expanded into quality frozen fruits in 1957, becoming Imperial Frozen Foods.

As the market changed, the supply chain developed, consumer perceptions broadened and private brands gained in popularity, Imperial kept pace with the market, becoming a leading supplier of Grade A conventional and organic frozen fruits and fruit blends to the retail, club and food service segments.

“We have experienced rapid growth as the frozen fruit category has grown, with one of our big drivers being the popularity of smoothies,” said Imperial CEO Kevin Migdal.

“Our future today is as a leading source supplier for quality frozen fruits across a number of customer segments in North America, including branded, private label and food service.”

Imperial is also eyeing international distribution, Migdal said, making the Savannah facility’s location near the ports especially appealing.

The company is leasing approximately 35,000 square feet in an 81,000 square-foot building and hopes to grow its 30 new hires to 52.
PortSide: Imperial opens $2.4 million facility in Pooler | BiS | Business in Savannah News

Old 09-23-2016, 04:24 PM

396 posts, read 277,210 times
I wish they would get the location correct, it is in Savannah, not Pooler.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Garden City Terminal is already the Southeast’s busiest intermodal gateway, with Class A railroads CSX Transportation and Norfolk Southern providing double-stack container trains along the entire route between Savannah and the Midwest.

Savannah currently offers the fastest westward transit times in the South Atlantic region, including overnight service to a five-state area — Alabama, Georgia, Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina.

Savannah’s geographic location also helps. For example, it is just over 1,000 miles by rail from Savannah to Chicago, making it comparable to other ports that, while they are north of GPA, are farther east.

Perhaps GPA’s biggest advantage is its virtually congestion-free movement from ship to rail, which cuts expenses and accelerates delivery times.

It also helps, Lynch said, that Savannah is the first port of call for many ships coming from the Panama Canal.

“With the advent of 10,000 TEU ships being our first port of call, we’ll have the volume to build those unit trains that don’t stop until they get to their destination,” he said.

“We’re going to be selling that hard to Chicago because it just makes sense.”
Convergence of completed projects in four years expected to boost growth at Georgia Ports | BiS | Business in Savannah News

Old 09-26-2016, 05:48 AM

7,126 posts, read 10,288,364 times
The thing that is bothersome to me is the number of containers I see stacked up that are empty. I drove from the start of Garden City to Port WW along Main Street on Sat. Literally miles of empty containers on both side of the road. Doesn't look like a good sign for the economy to me.

One of the shippers ( Hainan?) was headed for bankruptcy a month or so ago and I think was saved by someone two weeks ago.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:21 PM

396 posts, read 277,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Thank you for the update.

Exactly. I'm curious how it will tie in together along with a widened Bloomingdale Road. It will be widened, right? And redesigned exit, too.
They are widening it to two lanes each direction with a varying width grass median. It is supposed to tie in near the current Pine Barren Road intersection. The big part for Phase 1 is the new bridge at 16 and the overpass of the railroad tracks. Phase 2 is the Bridge and interchange at 80. Last I saw they were trying to move forward the Phase 2 project to work closely along with Phase 1. We will see how it goes, there is already an increase in truck traffic along Jimmy DeLoach at 80.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
The Peach State’s ports set a record in October and the Georgia Ports Authority approved $4.3 million for the Savannah Multimodal Connector.

GPA handled 251,566 loaded TEUs (the unit of the capacity of a container ship) for an increase of 2.4 percent, GPA reported Monday. Fiscal year-to-date growth hit 4 percent to 1.01 million TEUs.

“I would like to thank our customers for their continued confidence, and congratulate our entire team on this record growth, achieved despite challenges related to Hurricane Matthew and the Hanjin bankruptcy,” GPA Executive Director Griff Lynch said, in a statement. “These results are a testament to GPA’s strength in the marketplace, and the need to continue expanding capacity on GPA terminals.”

GPA said the Savannah Multimodal Connector is pivotal to expanding its service frontier westward.

“Improved unit train capacity will build density into the system, and make routes between the Midwest and the hub port of Savannah more attractive to our rail providers,” GPA Board Chairman Jimmy Allgood said.

Set for completion in 2020, the $140 million project will double annual rail lift capacity to 1 million containers. The project will allow Garden City Terminal to handle additional 10,000-foot long unit trains, while simultaneously reducing impact on nearby communities.
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...connector.html

Old 11-22-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
A new, 685-acre industrial park planned by the Savannah Economic Development Authority is “practically next door” to the 1,560 acres the Effingham County Industrial Development Authority is marketing at Old River Road and Interstate 16.

SEDA’s land is less than a mile away, said Effingham IDA CEO John Henry.

He said SEDA’s investment will help the Effingham project.

“Any effect that this development would have on our plans should be positive,” Henry said.

“The provision of infrastructure and political support for infrastructure to the area will only benefit both organizations,” he said. “It will also help us to improve the whole area, which in the big picture is the goal of both organizations.”

Effingham recently completed a paved road leading into its property. The land was freed for marketing earlier this year when Moon River Studios, formerly known as Medient, gave up its rights to the property.

The land includes a smaller tract on the south side of I-16, where Savannah Cold Storage/PortFresh Logistics is building a 100,000-square-foot cold storage and packing business that will cater to food producers shipping in and out of the port.

It should be finished by the end of this year.

The company is building on 20 acres and has an option on 160 more. That leaves only about 10 acres free on that side of the highway that could be developed, Henry said.
Savannah industrial park should help Effingham

Old 12-20-2016, 10:45 AM

6,869 posts, read 3,568,209 times
Grapes from Chile will now be coming to America through the port. According to this article, using Savannah's chilled facility rather than the port of Philadelphia will cut up to five days off the time it takes the grapes to get from the vineyards of Chile to the tables of America.

AGRO Merchants Expands Fresh Produce Management Through Port of Savannah | Benzinga

Old 12-20-2016, 11:03 AM

Port traffic was up 6.5% last month...
Quote:
Fueled by a strengthening export market and a busy peak holiday season, the Georgia Ports Authority reported for the month of November a 6.5 percent increase in total container traffic.

“Last month capped an active peak season, with November import and export cargo growing significantly,” said GPA Executive Director Griff Lynch.

The Port of Savannah moved 167,333 containers, an improvement of 10,210 over November 2015.

“An increasing demand for America’s exports abroad and strong consumer confidence here at home are helping to boost cargo throughput,” Lynch said.

Measured in loaded containers, an indicator of overall economic strength, total trade increased 11 percent in November. For the month, the Port of Savannah handled 246,877 loaded twenty-foot equivalent container units, a record. Loaded export TEUs totaled 107,145, an increase of approximately 10 percent, or 9,603 TEUs. Import loads grew by 12 percent, to reach 139,732 TEUs.
https://www.georgiapol.com/2016/12/2...vember-growth/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area