Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:12 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"We're on track to move more than 300,000 TEUs in every month of the fiscal year, which will be a first," authority Executive Director Griff Lynch said. "We're also anticipating this to be the first fiscal year for the Port of Savannah to handle more than 4 million TEUs."

April volumes reached 356,700 TEUs, up 7.1 percent over April of last year. The Port of Savannah has been experiencing a growth rate of more than 5 percent a year over the past decade, making it the nation's fastest growing container port.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...savannahs.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 05:45 PM

The feds are giving more money to the dredging...
Quote:
The Savannah Harbor Expansion Project will remain on track this year following the release of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers 2018 fiscal year work plan on Monday, which includes $35 million in additional funds for the project.

Previously, the Trump administration had allocated $50 million for SHEP in the president’s fiscal year 2018 budget request. Coupled with the Army Corps’ updated plan, the total for the fiscal year 2018, which ends Sept. 30, is now $85 million.
Administration, Corps funds keep Savannah harbor expansion on track - Business - Savannah Morning News - Savannah, GA

Old 06-11-2018, 07:14 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
Sorry I haven't followed this thread, but will this open the way for Cruise ships to port at Savannah.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:11 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Sorry I haven't followed this thread, but will this open the way for Cruise ships to port at Savannah.
There’s nothing stopping cruise ships from being based at Savannah now, except there’s no cruise ship terminal and Savannah doesn’t want one. Occasionally cruise ships will come in for a day execursion, but we are not a regular port of call. The general consensus is that Savannah tourism does not need cruise ships, and in fact cruise ships may hurt the tourism industry we already have (by making an already overcrowded and at capacity downtown even moreso).

Old 06-19-2018, 05:19 PM

The Savannah Port Logistics Center broke ground today...
Quote:
The 2.3 million-square-foot, $125 million logistics campus is being developed to meet the needs of import, export and e-commerce customers of the Port of Savannah - the fastest growing and largest single-container port in the U.S.

“The Savannah Port Logistics Center is the most significant industrial and logistics development in the Southeast,” said John Knox Porter, CEO of Capital Development Partners. “Our facilities and infrastructure will provide a significant advantage for our customers.”
Developer breaks ground on Savannah Port Logistics Center - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports

Old 06-19-2018, 06:48 PM

450 posts, read 461,760 times
These will have direct rail access which is a new feature in the area. Another big investment ($125m) being built in Pooler.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:05 PM

Another record for the port!!
Quote:
The Georgia Ports Authority handled a record 4.2 million twenty-foot equivalent container units (TEUs) in fiscal year 2018, which ended June 30. That is an 8.4 percent increase year-over-year.

In the busiest June on record, the port handled 370,725 TEUs, an increase of 9.8 percent. It’s the 20th consecutive month of growth for GPA.

“Moving more than 4 million TEUs in a single fiscal year is an important milestone for Georgia,” said GPA Executive Director Griff Lynch. “Georgia’s logistical advantages, along with the Southeast’s population growth, have resulted in increased demand, while the expanded Panama Canal has cleared the way for larger vessels to call Savannah.”
Savannah port sets container record - Business - Savannah Morning News - Savannah, GA

Old 07-24-2018, 04:26 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
I wonder how tariffs will affect the port of Savannah business?

Old 07-31-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I wonder how tariffs will affect the port of Savannah business?
I think the tariffs will have some impact on the port, but the ultimate impact of these tariffs I believe won't be felt for a few more months.

Today, the ports signed an MOU with Georgia Tech to improve operations at the port. I believe this MOU will pay dividends for the port and the state.

Quote:
The Georgia Ports Authority signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Georgia Tech and the Georgia Center of Innovation for Logistics, meaning those organizations will now work together to make the ports work more efficiently.

"The whole secret is to figure out how to organize and increase effectiveness,’’ said Georgia Tech President, Bud Peterson. “How do you stack up the ships as they come into the port, how do you identify which ones come into which docks, where they can be loaded? Make sure you have the right people there to take care of the loading. Are the trucks there? All of those things that make the logistics so complicated can really impact the cost of goods to the consumer.’’
http://www.wtoc.com/story/38777804/g...more-efficient

Old 07-31-2018, 04:39 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,703,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I think the tariffs will have some impact on the port, but the ultimate impact of these tariffs I believe won't be felt for a few more months.

Today, the ports signed an MOU with Georgia Tech to improve operations at the port. I believe this MOU will pay dividends for the port and the state.

Good News: New partnership to make ports more efficient - WTOC-TV: Savannah, Beaufort, SC, News, Weather & Sports
Well, the MOU really has nothing to do with tariffs. That being said if we have less trade with the EU and China I suppose that's less business for the ports. Howver, giving Trump's record, trariffs will prolly go away in a NY heartbeat.

Not to worry he wants business not heartache.
All good.......I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area