Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 04:07 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times

Advertisements

I had the occasion to go to Port Wentworth and see another part of Savannah I had never been in almost 7 years living here. About one mile from the main gate of the port it's like a small city Southern town with American flags flying on the front lawn. Clean and neat small homes for the most part well maintained.

Moderately priced and convenient for work at Gulfstream, the Port and less than 15 minutes to downtown.

For those looking to move to Savannah you really need to get in your car and see all of the communities surrounding what you envision as " Savannah". You can't possibly do that in a day or two trip. I guesstimate to make a serious trip for that kind of change in your life you prolly need a week to find a candidate for a short term rental THEN buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 05:36 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
I've lived in the Savannah area twice, first for four years back in the early 90s and now since 2009 ... and I've yet to see all of Chatham County. I was just thinking the other day that it's probably been a year since I went through Georgetown or out to Richmond Hill. I may ride out there just to look around and see how the highway construction is gong.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:02 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I had the occasion to go to Port Wentworth and see another part of Savannah I had never been in almost 7 years living here. About one mile from the main gate of the port it's like a small city Southern town with American flags flying on the front lawn. Clean and neat small homes for the most part well maintained.

Moderately priced and convenient for work at Gulfstream, the Port and less than 15 minutes to downtown.

For those looking to move to Savannah you really need to get in your car and see all of the communities surrounding what you envision as " Savannah". You can't possibly do that in a day or two trip. I guesstimate to make a serious trip for that kind of change in your life you prolly need a week to find a candidate for a short term rental THEN buy.
We actually were thinking of that area to check when we are down next week. My only concern was I heard traffic over there could be rough, but that's relative when you live where I do and a 2 mile drive takes over 35 mins at times.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:22 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
I am beginning to like this semi-regular Pink's Travel Journal publication. Goes well with Newboy's Restaurants in Review and Airforce Guy Newswire. I haven't really ventured around Port Wentworth or Garden City or experienced this much bespoken "Hwy 21".. Maybe one day on a drive that takes me up that way. Except one day driving across that little bridge up that way on Rt 170. Looking to the port and mill, while seemingly in the middle of nowhere, a very interesting mix of industry and swampland. This is a good way to get to the Wildlife Refuge.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:16 PM

975 posts, read 1,149,854 times
SL, you forgot CoastalGAGuy's Curmudgeonly Report!

Old 09-20-2016, 05:24 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
SL, you forgot CoastalGAGuy's Curmudgeonly Report!
ALSO ... just to clarify ... GENTLEARTS created "Savannah Restuarant Reviews" (which has mostly been hijacked by PINK CADDY). My baby is "What They're Saying About Savannah."

But AIRFORCE GUYS "Newswire" is indeed spot on!

Old 09-21-2016, 07:07 PM

68 posts, read 88,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
We actually were thinking of that area to check when we are down next week. My only concern was I heard traffic over there could be rough, but that's relative when you live where I do and a 2 mile drive takes over 35 mins at times.
The original part of Port Wentworth, next to the port, is mostly older (1930- 1950) bungalows
Port Wentworth north and west of I-95 is mostly rural with 5 subdivisions built within the last 10 years
there is Much Less Traffic on GA 30 than on GA 21

Old 09-22-2016, 04:34 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
[quote=toscgwsndiqz;45567197]The original part of Port Wentworth, next to the port, is mostly older (1930- 1950) bungalows
QUOTE]

In some areas of major cities today across the U.S. " bungalows" are very much in demand. I think they call it
"trendy". Usually, the only way one can buy "trend" is to buy well ahead of the curve. That is ,"before the train leaves the station".

I personally think those home are charming and for the money a couple or small family would do very well with them. They certainly are not cookie cutter homes. Lol. Where else can you buy homes 10 minutes from Savannah for $40,000 and not be in the "hood" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area