Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 04:21 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,646,522 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon everyone!

We are coming down at the end of Sept-early Oct. Going to be there for a week as it's also time for parent's weekend at SCAD. We are camping in the travel trailer out on Tybee Island-living out of our house on wheels.

So we have one full day with the real estate agent. The other days beside going to the college we are going to be driving around as much of the area outside the city as we can. We've been looking down in Coffee Bluff, Guyton, Springfield and Rincon. We aren't city people. We like it away from the beaten track. Commuting a bit isn't a issue. It takes 45 mins now just to go 10 miles on our main drag here.

Point me to out of the way spots to look. I hate being a tourist. I like vacationing like a local. Our house will be up for sale by then and who knows, we maybe diving into buying a house on this trip-fingers crossed as this has been long coming.

I've spoken and had three phone interviews. All have me down as relocation and told me to see them as soon as I move to the area. Very promising. It's a relief after dealing with rejection after rejection up where we are now in the Hudson Valley.

So tell me, as locals where to find things. Such as the post offices, grocery stores, restaurants-because I love the River Front area, but there are those small places tourists miss because well they hear big names and I love those finds that are just gems.

We have a number of homes we've found that are not in HOA's. And they are perfect for our needs. We are looking at the possibility of buying land-away from flood plains-to put up a modular also.

So fill me in on those four areas. What else can you tell me? I am SO excited! I am *this* much closer to starting our new phase in life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 09:49 PM

975 posts, read 1,151,192 times
Coffee Bluff IS the city, literally. Sure, it's suburban, but it's pretty dense, and you won't find much land without a house already on it, and others adjoining. It's by far the most expensive of your four options, and the only one in Chatham County, where taxes are considerably higher. If you are not city people as you say, I'd stick with the other three options, which I'm sure other folks can shed more light upon.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:13 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,712,241 times
What does the forum think about Statesboro for Camping Mom?

Old 08-24-2016, 06:06 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
Sorry, but I know nothing about those areas.
I do want you to make sure and go to Hucapoos while you're staying in Tybee. It is a local hangout, with huge pizzas, nachos and cheap pitchers of beer. We take all our visitors there, and everyone loves it.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
What does the forum think about Statesboro for Camping Mom?
I'll check into it-seems like it's a college type town. We have Vassar College here so we are used to that type of area.

Here's what we are "running" from. Just a insight as to why we are relocating. We can't keep up with the Jones moving here from NYC and Long Island-https://www.city-data.com/city/East-Fishkill-New-York.html

Old 08-24-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Sorry, but I know nothing about those areas.
I do want you to make sure and go to Hucapoos while you're staying in Tybee. It is a local hangout, with huge pizzas, nachos and cheap pitchers of beer. We take all our visitors there, and everyone loves it.
Sounds like a plan! Thanks!

Old 08-28-2016, 11:56 AM

Any other suggestions for the time we are there for places to eat? To shop? To look more closely into areas away from the center of the city for homes? Marina's to check into? Are there boat launches in the area that are free? What about suggestion for car repairs? Suggest away please!

Happy Sunday!

Old 08-28-2016, 01:31 PM

975 posts, read 1,151,192 times
Chatham County has several publicly accessible boat ramps that are free to use. Parks & Recreation > Parks > Boat Ramps and Fishing Piers

In Chatham County proper, I'd recommend Integrity Auto Repair. They're competitively priced and have always done a first-rate job for us.

There are many great options for dining. Check out Trip Advisor.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:41 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,337,047 times
we love Bobo's so much. it looks shady and you have to take it to-go, but the low country boil is enough for two people if you eat modestly. their crab cakes are good, too.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:38 PM

Ok here's another question. Hubby belongs to a rod and gun club here. Are there any in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area