Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 03:48 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGAGuy View Post
Movies on the filmed in (or near) Savannah "Must Watch List"
(these are just IMO - and you've probably seen a few):

1) Forrest Gump
2) Glory
3) The General's Daughter
4) The Longest Yard
5) The Gift
6) Cape Fear (1962 - the one with Robert Mitchum in the lead)
7) The Gingerbread Man
8) Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies (Ft. Pulaski and Zombies - it's terrible but so good!)
9) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (read the book first, though)
10) Gator

11) (just for good measure) The Big Chill (mostly filmed in SC, but real close by)

Good-now I've got a good list to watch on a day off! Yes, I've seen Forrest Gump-more times than I can count as it seemed to catch all three of my kids as they were growing up.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
12) Something To Talk About - shows off Savannah well; also features the gorgeous Davant Plantation in nearby Gillionsville, SC.

Actually, the list of films that have used Savannah as the setting is almost endless!

IMDb: Most Popular Titles With Location Matching "Savannah, Georgia, USA" - IMDb
WOW! That's going to take me a while to get through.

Thank you very much!

Old 03-15-2017, 05:19 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
CM, if you want to continue honing up on local history, you might have a go at Eugenia Price's Savannah Quartet. Eugenia had a real passion for the coastal Georgia area (lived on SSI for 25 years) and it's reflected in her work.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/lis....Eugenia_Price

Old 03-15-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
CM, if you want to continue honing up on local history, you might have a go at Eugenia Price's Savannah Quartet. Eugenia had a real passion for the coastal Georgia area (lived on SSI for 25 years) and it's reflected in her work.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/lis....Eugenia_Price
Oh now THOSE types of stories I like! Romance with history. (I am HUGE Beatrice Small fan). Thank you so much!

I certified today. Butterflies didn't even cover it. Got thrown right out on a tour. EEK!!!! Made it through without major hitches(just nerves). Each one with get better! But I did get a awesome review from a guest.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:28 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I kind of know how you feel. I was an art museum docent for 12 years, and I had to learn a new exhibit every few weeks, and give tours to groups of people, from school children, to art students to senior citizens. It was scary at first, since I had to think quick and adjust the tour according to the age group. Little by little, I grew confident, and grew to like the challenge. Now, I realize it was probably one of the most important things I've done to achieve self confidence.

The biggest problem you will have is if you give several tours a day, you won't be sure what you said to whom. "Did I tell them this already, or was that the tour from earlier?"

Old 03-16-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I kind of know how you feel. I was an art museum docent for 12 years, and I had to learn a new exhibit every few weeks, and give tours to groups of people, from school children, to art students to senior citizens. It was scary at first, since I had to think quick and adjust the tour according to the age group. Little by little, I grew confident, and grew to like the challenge. Now, I realize it was probably one of the most important things I've done to achieve self confidence.

The biggest problem you will have is if you give several tours a day, you won't be sure what you said to whom. "Did I tell them this already, or was that the tour from earlier?"
I had a good day on my second day today. I had one full tour. But three fill ins through out the day. I am having fun each time I go out. It's going to be better as I learn more than the script and make it mine. I am self conscious of the word "um". I hate fillers. I know others hate fillers. Working hard to over come that. I have the next three days off. Watching movies, reading and a few days of fun.(not going to the parade this year). Someday I'll add it to my bucket list.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:59 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Maybe you can tape your tours and hear it, so you can tweak it? I bet your riders don't notice the "ums" though.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:59 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Watch the parade on TV. You'll learn a lot.

Also ... read "Midnight" as soon as possible. It's basically the entire history of the city in 380 pages.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:31 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Watch the parade on TV. You'll learn a lot.

Also ... read "Midnight" as soon as possible. It's basically the entire history of the city in 380 pages.
It also offers great insight into the offbeat character of the city. In the pantheon of southern cities, it has always marched to a different drummer.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:45 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
It also offers great insight into the offbeat character of the city. In the pantheon of southern cities, it has always marched to a different drummer.
I'm watching drag queens march to a different drummer right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area