Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:36 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,162,733 times

Advertisements

It only makes sense that growth from Pooler would spill over into Bloomingdale. I could see all of I-16 being developed to U.S. 280 in 20 years.

Quote:
Meanwhile, on the industrial side, Akridge said the shipping company FedEx has announced a new distribution center in Bloomingdale just off Pooler Parkway and plans for a two-phase, multimillion-dollar expansion of Floor &Decor’s distribution center in the city are moving ahead. Akridge added a prospective business is currently eyeing space for a 350,000 square foot facility in the Proglogis Morgan Business Center on S.H. Morgan Parkway.

The Prologis site has proven quite successful for Bloomingdale and Chatham County, said Trip Tollison, president and CEO of the Savannah Economic Development Authority, because it provides pad-ready sites that meet developers’ demands.
Growth on the horizon in the small town of Bloomingdale | BiS | Business in Savannah News

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-10-2017 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 10:48 AM

779 posts, read 972,726 times
Bloomingdale will be next customer of Savannah for I&D treated surface water before they can expand.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:36 PM

450 posts, read 461,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
Bloomingdale will be next customer of Savannah for I&D treated surface water before they can expand.
That is the truth, the problem is getting water there and their sewage goes to Pooler. So they don't have a lot of infrastructure in place. They already are getting Savannah water passed through from Pooler, I believe.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:52 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,969,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
It only makes sense that growth from Pooler would spill over into Bloomingdale. I could see all of I-16 being developed to U.S. 280 in 20 years.

Growth on the horizon in the small town of Bloomingdale | BiS | Business in Savannah News
Though growth is inevitable, saying all of I-16 being developed to 280 in 20 years is a bit of a stretch.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
That is the truth, the problem is getting water there and their sewage goes to Pooler. So they don't have a lot of infrastructure in place. They already are getting Savannah water passed through from Pooler, I believe.
I doubt Bloomingdale is getting any Savannah Water through Pooler yet. If they are Savannah will skim money for every new building permit issued in Bloomingdale.
For example: The EPD forced the City of Rincon to tie into Effingham County's water system which relies on water from Savannah's I&D (Industrial and Domestic) water treatment plant. From the day the final connection to Effingham County's water system was made, Rincon has to remit $900 Capital Cost Recovery for each new building permit issued in the City limits to Effingham County to remit to the City of Savannah. Rincon reportedly uses very little of Effingham's City of Savannah I&D treated river water. Likewise Effingham is required to remit $900 for each new building permit issued in the County's unincorporated area served by the I&D water. The $900 fees remitted to Savannah will continue until a total of 3,333 are remitted to City of Savannah by Effingham County.

I don't think Bloomingdale would agree to such kind of agreement without reading about it in the news. The EPD has made the City of Savannah our Water Lord. If Bloomingdale is going to expand they will likely have to agree to something similar the Rincon/Effingham Savannah deal with Pooler.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:45 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,460 times
Do residents of Bloomingdale actually want Pooler-style growth? Anyone on here live there?

Many were opposed this project Bloomingdale City Council approves conditional use for new apartment complex | SavannahNow the planning Commission actually listened to local residents. But Council overruled them.

Water is important in consideration... While Savannah drinking water soon may have more industrial wastewater flushed in to it Turpentine plant After Flint, MI we should carefully consider our drinking water quality and quantity.

I drove through Pooler recently. Indeed it is changing rapidly. It's its own place, I respect that. I don't want to be engulfed by it. And in the article, Kicklighter brags there is no property tax in Bloomingdale. Will that stay in place with growth? I was wondering about moving to the Bloomingdale area one day, as an area in the county where they mostly wanted to keep small town quality of life? I also recall Thunderbolt recently creating a smalltown longterm plan which was encouraging though I wonder if that will last. Tybee seems to reflects this as well I suppose though I don't think it'd be in my budget!

On a similar note -
Newly populated Pooler planning board to hold daytime, rather than evening meetings | SavannahNow

“People that are interested will make the time,” [Pooler City Councilwoman Rebecca Benton] said. “I think it would be much better for engineers. Then they [the applicants] don’t have make that (drive in ) 5 o’clock rush hour." Ick.

This, after they removed residents off the Pooler Planning Commission so that city staffers could replace them. City staff, who report to the Council, who work for the developers. As the commenter on the article points out this looks transparent and intentional.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:27 PM

This reminds me of Effingham county government's modus operandi a decade ago. Special called meetings at times to inconvenience attendance by the interested few especially around Christmas, adding to or removing items from the published agenda after meeting called to order, deleting minutes from web site, etc, and it continued until enough citizens took issue. Government gets thing done faster without citizens input.
The turpentine plant in Effingham's Industrial Park is another example of poor planning. Wait until the plant is nearly finished before the effluent treatment is addressed. Of course Savannah is concerned about what is discharged upstream from their intake source of river water at Abercorn Landing. Pooler, Pt. Wentworth and South Effingham citizens who depend of this treated water purchased from Savannah should be concerned too. Having to rely on Savannah for water is costly.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:20 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,543 times
The big issue with water in Savannah is all of the industrial plants which draw from the aquifer need to switch to river water. All of them are very close to the river or are right on the river. These big plants account for 60 to 70% of the daily draw from the aquifer in our region.

Think about this the city of Savannah & other water districts draw the rest & mix in river water to make up for the short comings while the big plants don't

Old 05-29-2017, 09:02 PM

Big money and politics control water. The regulations the EPD has imposed on pumping restrictions don't conserve aquifer water, it regulates who gets to pump it.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:51 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,606,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
Big money and politics control water. The regulations the EPD has imposed on pumping restrictions don't conserve aquifer water, it regulates who gets to pump it.
Understand 100%...

Also once the two new nuclear plants open up by Augusta the river levels will drop quite a bit which means whatever are in the water will be more concentrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area