Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 11:26 AM

7 posts, read 24,749 times

Advertisements

I live in Illinois and this winter stuff is just getting way past old. It has been dark and cold for what feels like most of my life now. I have been going to Savannah every year for about 7 years for a Mid-march vacation, and I have been in love with springtime in Savannah ever since the first time. I think I want to relocate. I have two questions, though, for some seasoned Savannah residents who will be frank with me. Your help will be most appreciated.

One, my husband and I are a mixed race couple. He's 31 and I'm 28, and we're expecting our first child this fall. Are there nice family-oriented mixed-race neighborhoods in Savannah where everybody tries to get along? I'm not ignorant or squeamish enough to think or expect that we will encounter no racism (it exists here in northern Illinois, and every other place we've lived/visited all over the world), but we would like to find a place where we could be friendly and kind with our neighbors without a lot of that kind of drama and tension around home. Is that unrealistic?

The second question, which might sound stupid or frivolous, is given that I've never lived in the south, what should I expect about the summers in Savannah? Will I be shocked, do you imagine, by the heat and humidity? Every culture has adaptations for their climate. I understand that in Alaska some people use tanning beds to combat the ills of the sunless days of deep winter. So I'm wondering, in the height of summer in Savannah, are the palmetto bugs thick, and if so what do people do about them? Do people lay low during the hottest days, or is everybody used to the heat and therefore active even through the hottest of days? Is the weather really hot in September? When does the summer begin to cool down into fall? Are there things we should know about getting through the summer?

Any information any one can give would help us out a lot! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 12:40 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
First, the mixed race question. Savannah is surrounded by military bases both in Ga. and across the river in SC. We are used to mixed races, not only from the service personnel, but from our native people. By mixed, I mean every assortment that you could think of. They are here. I won't tell you that they are ALWAYS accepted. There are just some people that have problems accepting ANYTHING that doesn't suit them. I really couldn't tell you if there is an area where such couples are more prevalent.

And oh, yeah, the summers will come as a shock. We mostly stay indoors in the A/C when we can. The humidity can be dreadful. The problem is that it goes on for days and days in the 90-100% range. This raises the heat index up over 100º. I think for a few days last year it was 118º. No one gets used to that. Summer heat can start in April and last well into the fall. We will have weeks and weeks of HOT weather. Yes, September can still be uncomfortably warm. The problems with that is that when the humidity is up in the 90% range, perspiration happens, but it doesn't evaporate and cool. The body just gets wetter and wetter. Air conditioning dries things out and makes it much better. I'm old enough to remember when no one had A/C. It was just a matter of taking things as easy as possible.

The "palmetto bugs" are just another name for cockroaches. Cockroaches come in all sort of sizes and they are here all year around. Outside, they aren't a problem. You won't even see them during the day. Inside, it's up to you to keep them cleaned out. Summers are just the same as winters as far as those critters are concerned.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:09 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Yes, I also believe that Savannah is gradually moving into the 21st century as far as the racial make up of neighborhoods is concerned. It's all about socio-economics now. Middle class and upper class neighborhoods are becoming more and more blended. I think that the main problems of perception come when large numbers of homes become rental properties if those homes do not receive the same amount of care and upkeep that they did before. That's when people become resentful. This seems to have happened in many formerly nice parts of the Southside, in particular.

As far as the heat goes, even though I'm a native, I often find myself hibernating indoors during the day in the summer time. It can be hot for so many months that you can become as tired of it as you might of winter up north. But I'll take hot weather over cold anytime.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:08 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
I see many mixed race couples moving into my neighborhood and not a problem.
The "palmetto bugs" are large outdoor cockroaches that venture indoors sometimes. Indoors the problem is the smaller German cockroaches that are everywhere and thrive indoors anywhere there is food...............
The heat is adapted to in different ways. When we moved to Savannah, we lived without AC for 6 years. We are outdoor people and live in an antebellum house. High ceilings, open crawlspace, huge attic, huge windows, a wonderful breeze that comes up the river and across the field, and no close neighbors. Plenty of ventilation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area