Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:15 AM

13,704 posts, read 21,981,064 times

Advertisements

But what about silver fish?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 09:15 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,121,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Which recalls the worst Palmetto Bug incident of my life.

. My aunt was in the habit of not rinsing her dishes before placing them in the washer, and she did not run it before leaving, obviously.
D

Good point. Palmetto bugs are garden-variety cockroaches that like to eat food. They will prefer to remain inside if there is a decent food supply. Dirty dishes are any roach's favorite food supply. If we keep the dishes washed after every meal, vacuum the premises regularly, keep opened food packages (cereal, sugar, crackers) closed tight, no problems. (Airtight Tupperware is best, and I keep opened cereal boxes in the fridge.) This works whether it's the little German roaches -- hardest to get rid of -- or super-roaches like palmetto bugs.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:27 AM

50,438 posts, read 64,253,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Good point. Palmetto bugs are garden-variety cockroaches that like to eat food. They will prefer to remain inside if there is a decent food supply. Dirty dishes are any roach's favorite food supply. If we keep the dishes washed after every meal, vacuum the premises regularly, keep opened food packages (cereal, sugar, crackers) closed tight, no problems. (Airtight Tupperware is best, and I keep opened cereal boxes in the fridge.) This works whether it's the little German roaches -- hardest to get rid of -- or super-roaches like palmetto bugs.
Really, I have never seen one anywhere near food here, except belly up on the kitchen floor close to the window, on the floor in the bathrooms, and once, one had set up camp in my linen closet and laundry basket.

As I think I said before, they walk through the outside spray, groom themselves, and ingest the poison, so it takes awhile for them to die.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:39 AM

779 posts, read 974,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
But what about silver fish?!
Silver fish are not fish. They are small silver colored roaches and they will get into the strangest places including battery chargers, telephones, radios, microwave oven control panels, etc.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:00 AM

50,438 posts, read 64,253,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
Silver fish are not fish. They are small silver colored roaches and they will get into the strangest places including battery chargers, telephones, radios, microwave oven control panels, etc.
That's the first time I ever heard of silverfish being roaches. Anyway, they don't bother me. They seem to like moist places.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That's the first time I ever heard of silverfish being roaches. Anyway, they don't bother me. They seem to like moist places.
Probably taste like chicken ...

Old 07-03-2017, 01:30 PM

7,125 posts, read 11,726,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Probably taste like chicken ...

I think you're right. I saw something on one of those gross out shows with Anthony Bourdain (SP) eating all types of ca ki like that. In fact, I think he mentioned he first had this delicacy in the South.
Bless your heart NB for bringing this to our attention.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:37 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,628,425 times
Quote:
Get some chickens. They love silver fish, palmetto bugs and roaches. Let them in the house every week or so and they will get rid of most of them.
That cracks me up. I once read about something that eats bedbugs. And then I was like well then what will cure the problem of THOSE creatures? And it went on and on. A procession of natural remedies,,,,I think a house would be destroyed at the end.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:41 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,628,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
They will go into your mouth for specks of food. I read way, way too much about them when I simply had one walk in.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
They will go into your mouth for specks of food. I read way, way too much about them when I simply had one walk in.
You should sleep with your mouth closed ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area