Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 10:38 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,519,790 times

Advertisements

One of only two cities in Georgia to make the top 25 Forbes list.. the other was Athens.
25 Best Places To Retire In 2017 | Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 12:21 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
One of only two cities in Georgia to make the top 25 Forbes list.. the other was Athens.
25 Best Places To Retire In 2017 | Forbes
ROFL ... 30 miles inland from the Atlantic? Try 15 miles! And median home price $118,000?! WTF! Good luck finding a decent house in a *safe* neighborhood anywhere in Chatham County for under $200,000!

Where the hell did Forbes get this info?!

Old 06-21-2017, 04:59 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Where the hell did Forbes get this info?!

From a freelancer that was willing to write click and bait pages for $10/page?

Old 06-21-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
From a freelancer that was willing to write click and bait pages for $10/page?
Two Google searches. Ten seconds each.

Q. Median home price savannah ga
A. The median price of homes currently listed in Savannah is $199,500

Q. Savannah distance from ocean
A. Tybee Island also known as Savannah Beach, is an easily accessible barrier island located just 18 miles away from the Hostess City of the South, historic Savannah, Georgia.

It doesn't even take brains or skill to get basic facts right.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:44 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,287 times
Agree -- but these "Best Cities to Retire (or: party, find attractive women, etc.)" are often fantasy click bait, and typically written by third-stringer boneheads. The items are also frequently off the mark -- like the recent truly outrageous "50 Worst U.S. Cities to Live In" thread from the 24/7 Wall Street site. Three Georgia cities make the dubious cut: Columbus, Albany, and Atlanta (but not Macon or Savannah or Augusta). Atlanta is No. 37 "Worst U.S. City to Live In." I've never cared much for ATL myself -- I've always thought it was overrated -- but 37th Worst City based on income inequality, poverty rate, total crimes, housing costs? That actually describes every larger city in the United States.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 06-21-2017 at 11:53 AM..

Old 06-21-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Agree -- but these "Best Cities to Retire (or: party, find attractive women, etc.)" are often fantasy click bait, and typically written by third-stringer boneheads. The items are also frequently off the mark -- like the recent truly outrageous "50 Worst U.S. Cities to Live In" thread from the 24/7 Wall Street site. Three Georgia cities make the dubious cut: Columbus, Albany, and Atlanta (but not Macon or Savannah or Augusta). Atlanta is No. 37 "Worst U.S. City to Live In." I've never cared much for ATL myself -- I've always thought it was overrated -- but 37th Worst City based on income inequality, poverty rate, total crimes, housing costs? That actually describes every larger city in the United States.
There are tons of truly awful "click bait" sites out there, but the one that currently wins the prize for me is something called "Only In Your State" which is making a killing via Facebook. It's a daily list of "great things" about each state compiled by the biggest bunch of idots that ever met a keyboard. The girl who produces the Georgia content has clearly never been to the state of Georgia, yet people share and re-share links to this crap over and over on social media. This site is so notoriously bad that OTHER click-bait sites (and a few legitimate news organizations) have written about them.

As a longtime print journalist who now must earn part of my income doing freelance writing and editing for the web, it angers me that so much of this garbage passes for "real" news these days ... especially when it comes from so-called reliable sources like Forbes.

And I agree: Calling Atlanta one of the "worst cities" in America is utter nonsense, unless of course you're Donald Trump.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:27 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,519,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Hard to believe Atlanta would make this list and not macon and Augusta... that does seem to be effed up.
That being said I do not disagree with Savannah and Athens being on the best places to retire list.
I think if you had to pick two cities in Georgia those two would be tops for retirees.
Savanah realestate may be more pricey by Southern standards but is still a bargain for many people from more expensive states up north and out west. Also Georgia overall has a more favorable tax climate for retirees.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:08 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
Hard to believe Atlanta would make this list and not macon and Augusta... that does seem to be effed up.
That being said I do not disagree with Savannah and Athens being on the best places to retire list.
Atlanta's not my thing, never was, but lots of folks I meet in and around NYC know people who have retired there, or they have kids who moved there. They're always positive: "She loves Atlanta and won't ever leave," etc. This "50 Worst" list is bogus. All of GA's second-tier cities have problems with every one of the criteria cited: economic inequality, segregation, worse-than-national-average crime stats, real estate, and poverty. Savannah and even Athens do. But putting Atlanta among the 30 worst cities in the country? That's just disinformation, pure and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
"great things" about each state compiled by the biggest bunch of idots that ever met a keyboard. .
Yes, it's junk journalism, like the recent "Best Small Town in Each State" I read. For Georgia, they chose Senoia, because that's where parts of "Walking Dead" are filmed. That really took some brilliant research and repeated visits, didn't it? A more original choice than Helen, but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area