Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 09:24 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,193,200 times

Advertisements

Nice to see CAT making these changes, I think a westward expansion will be good for the system imo...

Quote:
AT officials have said in the past these changes are some of the best ways to improve the transit system’s ridership and bottom line after years of declining numbers. But another, previously unpopular alternative has also been gaining steam in local board rooms recently.

Outgoing CAT Board Member Helen Stone said last week the Chatham County Commission has discussed using its powers to expand the system’s service district across the county — including into municipalities that don’t currently pay for the service. There is a lot of potential on the west side of Chatham County, said CAT Board Member Jay Jones, where growth in the commercial sector is creating a demand for workers from other areas of Chatham and its neighboring counties.

“(Commission Chairman Al Scott) has discussed this on numerous occasions,” Stone said. “I think he’s already looking into it. I think the train of thought here is if CAT is countywide, it will generate more revenue.”
CAT prepares to launch route redesign with eye toward countywide, regional growth | SavannahNow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 10:13 PM

643 posts, read 848,695 times
We'll never get rail in this city unfortunately. Would be so much better for Savannah and the burbs. I know certain people wouldn't want it to run through Wilmington and Tybee. But it would be forward thinking for the short and long term growth of the metro area.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:53 PM

4,580 posts, read 8,998,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
We'll never get rail in this city unfortunately. Would be so much better for Savannah and the burbs. I know certain people wouldn't want it to run through Wilmington and Tybee. But it would be forward thinking for the short and long term growth of the metro area.
Limited rail would do wonders. Airport, downtown, Tybee, southside. 2 lines. East-west, north-south.

Limited stops for limited density. Great for tourists and locals alike.

A pipe dream with much potential.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:05 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,286,224 times
Indeed as you both mention we are not near the population density for it. And if the county continues to sprawl like Pooler there never will be. Heck they don't even support the bus there. Putting resources in to the smarter bus system like they are finally doing is good. Plus where would the hundreds of millions for construction come from? Not with Republicans in charge. I love rail. Sure would be cool. Actually I read they are even going to discontinue the nice 100x bus express to the airport (!!) It is a nice bus I can't believe they are doing that, tourists and visiting family use it.

Since we already have boats here is my pipe dream - imagine more ferry stops and put that second boat back in service. Maybe once a day sail to Tybee even? And also a stop up in to the canal district if they widen the canal in to it as part of the massive Arena project.

The key is to maintain once something is built. That is let's just say a challenge here.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:30 AM

If a city is gonna build rail or light rail or whatever it's an infrastructure investment for the future not to fix a problem later on.

We may not have the population density yet to support it, but it would be more expensive to do it later on.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:09 AM

4,580 posts, read 8,998,931 times
Just because we don't have the density doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. As I mentioned, we have tourists. Plus, if you ask pretty much anyone if they'd rather take a bus or a train, they're gonna tell you they'd rather take a train. Especially if it goes where they want to go.
At that point, it's more than just poor people riding. It's tourists, working class, etc etc

Another option than sitting in traffic in the morning and evening. (Not that it's that bad right now.. but it could be in the future)

Someone with connections talk to our leaders about this!

Old 07-06-2017, 01:08 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,286,224 times
"more than just poor people"!? Ask anyone... Hm, well.. - I ride the bus. I am not poor. Not that rich either heh. BUt I am sick of this odd stigma here. Working class?! Have you been on a CAT bus? most folks are on the way to job sites, hotels, etc. Also students. Tourists, sadly not as much, but probably because it is not promoted right and also vested interests (tours) want to keep it that way. Ironically, they do however take the 100x which they want to eliminate for some reason. Anyway, sure building rail would be cheaper now. Yes, of course. Right of way will get more expensive, for one. But again, where will the hundreds of millions be coming from with Republicans in charge? Just being realistic.

Now, please tell me how goofy my water taxi ferry system is. I know, I know.. it's also pie in the sky! We're just having fun spit balling ideas here.

Also another reason mass transit is good is takes "working class" people off the road, and they are more likely to drive older (unsafe?) cars or have less or no insurance. Not exactly who you want to collide with on the road. It's in everyone's selfish best interests. I'm preaching to the choir here but I often use that as one point in discussing with political conservatives. Also I wonder why CAT and SCAD don't partner. I mean probably "safety" or some silliness. But the routes must overlap a ton.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Just because we don't have the density doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. As I mentioned, we have tourists. Plus, if you ask pretty much anyone if they'd rather take a bus or a train, they're gonna tell you they'd rather take a train. Especially if it goes where they want to go.
At that point, it's more than just poor people riding. It's tourists, working class, etc etc

Another option than sitting in traffic in the morning and evening. (Not that it's that bad right now.. but it could be in the future)

Someone with connections talk to our leaders about this!
If I somehow make it to City Hall you won't have to worry about needing a voice on that front.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:04 PM

410 posts, read 433,907 times
https://youtu.be/Dd3N9CFKe9M this technology may work for Savannah

Old 07-07-2017, 08:47 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,125,017 times
We've been here before, folks. Savannah is far too small and far too car-dependent an American city to have light rail. And yes, Chatham's (very VERY) conservative white municipalities and suburbs would fight the project tooth and nail. While rail and other Euro-style mass transit are more popular and more possible in U.S. cities than at any time since the First World War, the sheer cost and politics of this are feasible only in larger metros, where the state legislature, local businesses, and pro-transit voters could come up with the funding. Savannah is just not large enough, and its surrounding communities are too anti-tax. And don't get me started on what Poolerites and Georgetowners think of a direct connection to downtown. Forget it.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 07-07-2017 at 09:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area