Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:11 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times

Advertisements

Ugh. Without the FAFSA in front of me I wouldn't be able to answer. If you haven't sent the enrollment fee to SU, you're probably not in their system.

Try editing the form and insert a community college like Armstrong, Savannah State, Georgia Southern, or Savannah Tech and see if anything changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 01:13 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsrichards View Post
I would personally avoid any university that has to advertise excessively on the local radio in order to get people to enroll, which is exactly the case with South. It must be a very expensive school to attend, and my best educated guess would be that there is little or no social life there. The school is located on Mall Blvd. about two blocks back behind the Oglethorpe Mall. It's a decent part of town, located close to lots of chain restaurants and shopping, and not too far from downtown. Most of the bad neighborhoods are in or around the historic district, which does not begin until you travel about 3 miles down the road from South. To answer your last question, there are NO good public schools in Savannah. Yes, there are some that are better than others, and I'm sure someone else can tell you which schools those are, but none of them are what I would call "good schools". It is essential, if expensive, that you enroll your child in a private school if you want them to get a thorough education in safe environment in Savannah. Unfortunately, there isn't much housing that I know of around the university (the university itself has no housing), and apartments in city limits are not exactly cheap. Good luck!
Dude, your clueless on grad schools and the school system here in Savannah. Uninformed people shouldn't ramble on about something they don't know.

All she needs to do is graduate pharmacy school and get a Ga. license for a 55$hr job. Unless she is going into research then a pharmacy degree from UGA isn't worth any more than one from South. The only difference between a less expensive degree the UGA degree and a more expensive degree South is it's harder to get into a less expensive school normally the public school.

As for public high schools Savannah Arts is a great school. I know of two people who went there one went to Duke the other Northwestern. The criteria of great for me is whether your graduates can get into a top 20 US News college. I don't know what yours is though.

As for neighborhoods there are many good places within 10 minutes of South.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:34 PM

6 posts, read 13,669 times
I agree with bellhead!!! Listen, in all health fields, where the degree is from means nothing! The only exceptions would be if you are trying to do research/teach/or get an excellent residency program after med school. In any case, I too am in the health field and looking to further my education still..and what you need to do is apply to all the schools that you feel you may be accepted to, and once you have your acceptance letters in hand look at the best school for you and go from there. South University is not well known, I agree, but that does not matter. Once you have your pharm. degree, where you got it from is irrelevant, all that matters is that your bank account will be very happy!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 PM

182 posts, read 711,245 times
I am familiar with South U. The pharmacy school and physicians assistant program is what this school is best known for. The school is private (and expensive) but the two above mentioned programs are very competitive to get into. The rest of the school is...a university. It will give you a good education- but so will any other school. There is no "student life" it is mostly a commuter school- with some people coming in from far distances for the pharmacy program. It is in a safe area, and the admissions reps have housing apartments that they recommend for students. Also safe.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Default Pharm. School

Any type of professional school related to the health field is competitive and hard to get into too. Too many qualified people cannot get into a school within their region and are forced into other fields. We need more health related schools, the problem from most schools viewpoints is they are expensive and their is a lot of lobbying done to keep the number of graduates down in order to inflate the salaries of people in the field.

One of the biggest boosts to the Savannah economy would be for Armstrong to add a full health services school. This includes a medical, dental, pharmacy, and other programs. This would add several thousand jobs "high paying jobs not walmart" to the area and it would increase the quality of life for all people in the community with better health services. Would this ever get done? Not unless somebody pays for it and too many people in this political climate laud any type of government spending including education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area