Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:40 AM

52 posts, read 51,053 times

Advertisements

I agree with y'all. The people of Savannah and Chatham will be better served with a separate city PD and ultimately unincorporated law enforcement falling under the sheriff. If Chatham didn't have several cities within the county (Like Columbus and Macon) the combined PD would make more sense. I can't ever image a Savannah consolidation, so this was bound to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 06:37 PM

4,119 posts, read 6,634,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcole View Post
I agree with y'all. The people of Savannah and Chatham will be better served with a separate city PD and ultimately unincorporated law enforcement falling under the sheriff. If Chatham didn't have several cities within the county (Like Columbus and Macon) the combined PD would make more sense. I can't ever image a Savannah consolidation, so this was bound to happen.
The two main cities Port Wentworth & Tybee will never go along with it.

I am actually in favor of consolidating all police under the Georgia State Patrol, and have the state administer all policing in the state. This would eliminate local governments influence on the policing policies and on taxation issues.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:27 PM

450 posts, read 466,315 times
You missed one, Pooler would never go along with it as well.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:53 AM

2,261 posts, read 2,205,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcole View Post
I think Macon is the only large city in the state with a merged Police Department and Sheriff office.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
I think Macon is the only large city in the state with a merged Police Department and Sheriff office.
I believe you're correct. The other larger cities (Columbus and Augusta) have a consolidated PD without other major cities within their jurisdictions. For that reason, I think county law enforcement in Chatham would best be served under the Sheriff.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:41 PM

2,097 posts, read 2,288,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
You missed one, Pooler would never go along with it as well.
Of course. they want all the services there but not to pay for any of it. Transit, drainage, etc. Well if they are are all separate, it would seem separate PDs would be duplicating the highest paid staff, the chiefs and so forth. And less sharing of info etc. Now, that said, I bet the county will come out on top though. The city has the crime, the county has the money. The downtown businesses know it and especially the tourism ones are worried. Stats can be cooked or twisted. I mean, where are all the murderings happening? The city. Near the projects. And the statename streets. Well, it'll be interesting. Even though I am in the county, I have mixed feelings but if I had to choose probably would want to keep the merger and keep the city-county PD. Just seems like it should be so much more efficient right?

Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 AM

Any updates on this? SavannahLife, you mentioned that the county has the money? Isn't the majority of the tourism in the area located within the city limits? Are the ports outside of the city as well?

Old 10-22-2017, 08:10 AM

Currently the city has a disproportionate amount of lower income residents. This may change in the future as more millennial opt to stay inside the city due to lifestyles. This has happened in other cities before, when housing projects came down a portion of the residents where given section 8 vouchers and moved out into the county, mainly due to schools and safety. What would happen if the two biggest city housing projects were razed to make room for development? Where would the people get pushed to? It isn't going to be the southside as the Ga. Southern merger is going to increase rents quite a bit on the southside due to 3 to 5k new students? This leaves Pooler and some of the other smaller communities.

The city if they decided today to raze Yamacraw village and put the land up for redevelopment would be overrun with interested parties. Same for the one on the eastside of downtown.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:14 AM

370 posts, read 328,297 times
^What you're proposing has already happened. Fellwood Homes was raised and redeveloped, as was Savannah Gardens & those old homes that used to face the Truman between Wheaton & Henry.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
^What you're proposing has already happened. Fellwood Homes was raised and redeveloped, as was Savannah Gardens & those old homes that used to face the Truman between Wheaton & Henry.

I'm talking about the Hitch Village/Fred Wessels homes and Yamacraw, both have large footprints on the West & East side of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area