Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:17 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,284,446 times

Advertisements

Savannah City Council votes to end police merger with Chatham County | SavannahNow

It will be interesting to see crime statistics without the county portion. Will this help either area? It does seem like unnecessary duplication for things like administrative stuff. I would guess the county will be served better and the city less so. But less overall coordination as a whole community which is not good. What does everyone think - good, bad, both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 01:20 PM

13,704 posts, read 21,982,855 times
Breaking up the police department during a war on crime is about the dumbest thing they could do. I don't care about whatever funding issues they have with the County -- STAY THE COURSE! So stupid ...

Old 07-22-2017, 12:34 PM

779 posts, read 974,980 times
Savannah should have considered among other things the Municipal Franchise Fee on Georgia Power's electric bills collected from their customers in the unincorporated areas of Chatham County as a contribution toward continuing the merger. This fee collected is distributed among the cities in Chatham. It is one of the windfall of money few know goes only to Cities. Cities collect the franchise fee too but at a larger rate in exchange of using the city's streets and right of ways to furnish electricity. Counties have big power lines running through rural areas right of ways to furnish power to the cities from the power plants but the counties do not get any of the franchise fees collected. Counties loose money on property tax too because land which have power lines running through it gets lower assessment.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:41 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,121,806 times
Not wholly unexpected. Chatham has 8 municipalities, which is quite a lot for a 2nd-tier urban GA county. It also has close-in suburbs that are "Savannah" but that wish to remain separate. And in truth, Savannah gets nothing but obstruction and trouble when it tries to do anything (anything at all) with the rest of the county. Chatham is much more like urban S.C. counties: a principal city with different entities outside it that like to go their own way. Which is not the same as other 2nd-tier Georgia cities at all, none of which ever had Chatham's serious political boundaries, petty jealousies, and huge political differences. The "State of Chatham" just can't do unified but functioning administrative bodies -- except perhaps the courts. That's the way it is.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:29 PM

4,119 posts, read 6,625,370 times
From reading several articles on this, it seems like it came down to the city being the adults and the county the children. The city finally said you know what we are done with this and we are going to address our crime problems. The county just didn't want to spend the money on policing.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:41 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,284,446 times
this is good news! - City manager: Savannah-Chatham police pay will match any competitor Improvements aren't free. Finally they are doing something that will have real results not just millions for studies of studies etc. In fact this will save money longterm they say.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:36 PM

52 posts, read 50,870 times
What's the latest news on this? I would think that the city would fare better than the county in this deal. Hopefully it will lead to a more concentrated patrol in the downtown area.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcole View Post
What's the latest news on this? I would think that the city would fare better than the county in this deal. Hopefully it will lead to a more concentrated patrol in the downtown area.
Nothing new to report, the county in my opinion will dissolve the police department within 2 years and turn it over to the sheriff.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:20 PM

53 posts, read 48,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
The county just didn't want to spend the money on policing.
My impression from people in the unincorporated area is they don't feel like they are getting the police service they are paying for--they see it all going to the city. Many feel they're being milked to pay for more police in the city. Right or wrong, if that's how they feel about it, this is the result you're going to get.

Personally I'd rather see the sheriff take over duties in the unincorporated areas. I prefer elected law enforcement leadership rather than appointed.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellim113 View Post
My impression from people in the unincorporated area is they don't feel like they are getting the police service they are paying for--they see it all going to the city. Many feel they're being milked to pay for more police in the city. Right or wrong, if that's how they feel about it, this is the result you're going to get.

Personally I'd rather see the sheriff take over duties in the unincorporated areas. I prefer elected law enforcement leadership rather than appointed.
The people may feel that way but the stats and report proved them wrong. This is why the Savannah City Council forced the issue, and went ahead with the vote to split.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area