Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 12:22 PM

13 posts, read 8,363 times

Advertisements

And my husband's search history+:

He left his family, friends, country and then some to move to the US (which he did NOT want to do) for me. I argued that because my parents were alive and his were not (more subtlety) I won. He left a brother that still lived in the same province and city who had just become a first-time father. We went through hoops and finances and Immigration and paperwork and health exams (I kid you not)...He sacrificed all for me. Subsequently my father died unexpectedly 5 months after our wedding, but I digress...

He hates his job. He has been searching within his company to maintain his seniority and awesome benefits they offer; and they ARE great, but his pay isn't. He's depressed and embarrassed. Every time he's applied I've given him relatively negative feedback. Too hot. Too far for my mom to fly. Not in the same time zone. We can't fly the dogs, what if T's drugs wear off? With my own disabilities I can't drive that far... all of which are true, but I can't continue to watch his soul being sucked out. And a new system is being implemented soon that will further cut his pay and effectively demote him. All while my mother pays our mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 01:50 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffsmama View Post
Believe me, I don't want to move in any way, shape or form. No disrespect to the fine people of the state of Georgia. Thinking of uprooting our guy for ANY reason makes me want to vomit, minimally. Moving him to a 100% foreign world for the entirety of high school? Nauseated just TYPING that.

And yes. We have amazing schools, community, support...there's no way to equate that to income. Here's the dirt: my 75 year old mother is still working to help support us and pays our mortgage. My husband is on call 24/7 and with changes being implemented in the next year will have his pay reduced further a LARGE percentage.In addition, he's become really depressed with his current job/location/vibe of his workplace. He's also mortified that he's a grown man who can't totally support his family. My mother said if the move allows us financial freedom we should take it. She even said she'd be thrilled to see us take a vacation, which we haven't done since 2001. The only times I/we have traveled were as guests of my mother.

Please know I don't take this lightly and am HORRIFIED at the schools ratings. How in the heck does that HAPPEN?! My thoughts are with those of you with students in public schools. Looks like if you're not into the arts or vo-tech Savannah and high school don't mix.
Of course your family does have valid reasons to think about the move. Really, children are adaptable critters. I suggest you talk to the folks in the Pooler schools, and see if you can get some reassurance on how your son would fit in. He will probably excell, since he's had a good foundation. I've been in many of the schools and the staffs seem very caring. There is very little crime here and it's an easy commute to Port Wentworth.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:58 PM

I'm disabled as well (physically, so I don't get out much). No need for nightlife. A great day for me is reading my Kindle hanging out with my dogs. If there's a reasonable sushi place to feed my beloved teenage mutant sloth that's a bonus.

Old 09-02-2017, 02:12 PM

Default School Systems

" I suggest you talk to the folks in the Pooler schools"

Pooler vs. Richmond Hill. What's your take, please?

And transition to junior high last year was a mess. Jr. high sucks enough, then the school had a new assistant principal and Eli's spec. ed teacher was about to go on maternity leave. There was one teacher who made me go mama bear on a conference/speakerphone call about her. I dropped F bombs; not going to lie. Now the AP and I are 1st name basis and we just had a meeting about a possible accommodation so that Eli can go on the 8th grade's trip to DC in May. He does NOT sleep over unless one of us, preferably Luc, is with him and school does NOT typically take parents. There's also the fact that Eli, like I, is an insanely early bloomer and has dermatological prescriptions. His motor skill deficits require hands on help applying special shampoos and creams, etc. I can cop and paste the 2 page explanation that I presented at the beginning of the meeting. Not 1/2 bad if I say so myself. And my mother attended. She's a professor at a college of education and had served as Interim Dean a few years ago. We know our stuff.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:32 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
So be aware, unless your husband has a skill set which is in demand the job market here is service based and it is hard to find jobs paying $20 plus an hour with benefits.

Cincinnati has a pretty good economy & there are good support systems/colleges there for improving your earning potential, mainly Cincinnati State's coop program. The Lakota school system is going to be much better than anything they have down here for your son.

The only benefits to living here are the weather, beach, and a vibrant downtown.

The drawbacks are a very bad school system, the system itself suffers from a majority of their kids come from poverty and their parents never finished school.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:41 AM

Understood. The company which is flying Luc down Friday for a meet and greet is the company for whom he has worked for the past 10 years. It would be in his company's distribution center rather than retail store which deals with patrons daily. Instead of having 4 guys under him and having to fill in and work the same tasks as they he would be managing an enormous facility with a team of dozens underneath him. We have agreed that the pay has to be at a specific level to consider accepting the promotion as the non-monetary facets of our current lives are invaluable.

Then there's the fact that, locally, the store in which he has worked for 10 years is undergoing a massive restructuring and he will be facing a certain pay cut in 2018 and loss of managerial job title. Also in his current store he feels undermined, and undervalued. He has tried applying within his own store to dozens of postings with no results. He has applied to everything within a 200 mile radius within the company--also bubkes.

Here's some irony in a losing attempt at levity; I don't care for water. Our son might. The 1st time he touched the Atlantic was a Grandma-driven trip to Charleston when Eli was about 4-5. My late father's great aunt and 1st cousins were throwing a July 4th party at one of their beach houses. Eli sequestered himself inside a bedroom during the party and refused to come out to eat (too overstimulating) but absolutely LIT UP on the beach and in a tide pool. He was so enchanted I had to ask my brother-in-law to go retrieve him. I have a wonderful photo of him wearing an orange coverup I had bought in Hawaii when I was pregnant with Eli (this mom forgot to bring a change of clothes for her only child),dead asleep in the back of my mother's Honda Accord holding a brownie. Still impressed he never let go of that brownie, even out cold. Chocolate is one of his favorite food groups.

I cannot tell y'all how grateful I am for your feedback and input. It takes a village and you can never start soon enough!

Old 09-03-2017, 03:37 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
" I suggest you talk to the folks in the Pooler schools"

Pooler vs. Richmond Hill. What's your take, please?

And transition to junior high last year was a mess. Jr. high sucks enough, then the school had a new assistant principal and Eli's spec. ed teacher was about to go on maternity leave. There was one teacher who made me go mama bear on a conference/speakerphone call about her. I dropped F bombs; not going to lie. Now the AP and I are 1st name basis and we just had a meeting about a possible accommodation so that Eli can go on the 8th grade's trip to DC in May. He does NOT sleep over unless one of us, preferably Luc, is with him and school does NOT typically take parents. There's also the fact that Eli, like I, is an insanely early bloomer and has dermatological prescriptions. His motor skill deficits require hands on help applying special shampoos and creams, etc. I can cop and paste the 2 page explanation that I presented at the beginning of the meeting. Not 1/2 bad if I say so myself. And my mother attended. She's a professor at a college of education and had served as Interim Dean a few years ago. We know our stuff.
Well, Richmond Hill is Bryan County schools, not Chatham. There is only one high school. I do not know, but my gut says that small=more control, and more responsiveness to the residents and parents. In Chatham, your're just a number.

By the way, Richmond Hill is lovely, but it would be a longer commute.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:54 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Richmond Hill does get nice reviews from newcomers, and Richmond Hill High School has a good reputation. I agree with Gentle, though, that your husband might find the commute from RH too long for a job in Port Wentworth, Garden City, or Savannah proper. Thus, you have to consider Pooler and Bloomingdale in western Chatham County. New Hampstead High is actually very decent for a non-specialized public high school in Savannah-Chatham. Just make sure your house/apartment is within the New Hampstead High attendance zone rather than Groves High (which you should avoid).

Old 09-05-2017, 09:04 AM

Default Pooler & Bloomingdale

No public high school listed for Pooler. Bloomingdale showed New Hampstead High School with 1 out of 5 star rating. Any public transit? None here, really. If you don't own a car in the Greater Cincinnati area and don't have endless funds for Uber, you're a homebody, especially in suburbia.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:21 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Quote:
No public high school listed for Pooler. Bloomingdale showed New Hampstead High School with 1 out of 5 star rating. Any public transit? None here, really. If you don't own a car in the Greater Cincinnati area and don't have endless funds for Uber, you're a homebody, especially in suburbia.
New Hampstead is in tiny Bloomingdale, but most NH students actually live in Pooler. Other C-D posters from W. Chatham can better tell you about the attendance zone and academic rating. I think 1 star out of 5 is ridiculous for NH. Other general public high schools in Chatham County, yes, but not New Hampstead High or Islands High. Those two are quite decent.

No, southern cities have no good public transit (outside the downtown of a large core city). It's pretty much nonexistent.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 09-05-2017 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area