Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 01:25 PM

370 posts, read 328,297 times

Advertisements

Let's break this down now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Here is a list of the 2012 projects.

Chatham County TSPLOST Projects slated are: Chatham Area Transit Operations; Chatham Area Transit Capital; Project DeRenne, which would relieve traffic and improve the streetscape and intersections along DeRenne Avenue in design phase; Widen I-16 from I-95 to I-516 should be done with federal funds...as this is a federal highway; improvements to East President Street Extension happening now, creating a bridge over the railroad tracks that cross President near the Truman Parkway would be nice but would involve tearing down & reconfiguring the current end ramps on the Truman; remove the I-16 flyover into downtown Reason enough to vote NO for this...will create a huge traffic bottleneck on I-16; widen West Bay Street from I-516 to the Bay Street Viaduct; replace the Montgomery Cross Road Bridge over the Casey Canal No need; make bicycle and sidewalk improvements to W. 52nd Street from Montgomery Street to Ogeechee Road; Islands Expressway Bascule Bridge Replacement at Wilmington River Already promised by GDOT; Johnny Mercer Blvd. Causeway Bicycle-Pedestrian Improvements; Regional Park and Ride Lots; New Interchange Construction at King George Blvd. almost done! ; State Route 21 Grade Seperation at CSXT Rail; State Route 25 Grade Seperation at Norfolk Southern and CSXT Rail Crossings; US 80 at Bull River Bridge Reconstruction The train co's should pay a portion of this ; and US 80 at Lazaretto Creek Bridge Reconstruction. GDOT job, in planning stages
So as you can see, there is absolutely no need for TSPLOST in Chatham!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 01:49 PM

2,097 posts, read 2,288,948 times
I look forward to it failing too. If they could spend it right and if the port could pay more of a fair share, maybe I could support it. Anyway it's a conservative area fortunately for this issue at least.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:14 AM

4 posts, read 3,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Here is a list of the 2012 projects.

Chatham County TSPLOST Projects slated are: Chatham Area Transit Operations; Chatham Area Transit Capital; Project DeRenne, which would relieve traffic and improve the streetscape and intersections along DeRenne Avenue; Widen I-16 from I-95 to I-516; improvements to East President Street Extension, creating a bridge over the railroad tracks that cross President near the Truman Parkway; remove the I-16 flyover into downtown; widen West Bay Street from I-516 to the Bay Street Viaduct; replace the Montgomery Cross Road Bridge over the Casey Canal; make bicycle and sidewalk improvements to W. 52nd Street from Montgomery Street to Ogeechee Road; Islands Expressway Bascule Bridge Replacement at Wilmington River; Johnny Mercer Blvd. Causeway Bicycle-Pedestrian Improvements; Regional Park and Ride Lots; New Interchange Construction at King George Blvd.; State Route 21 Grade Seperation at CSXT Rail; State Route 25 Grade Seperation at Norfolk Southern and CSXT Rail Crossings; US 80 at Bull River Bridge Reconstruction; and US 80 at Lazaretto Creek Bridge Reconstruction.

What does "remove the I-16 flyover into Downtown" mean? I think I understand the rest of the projects.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:39 PM

4,581 posts, read 9,006,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuf150 View Post
What does "remove the I-16 flyover into Downtown" mean? I think I understand the rest of the projects.
It means exactly what it says. Remove it. Take it away. Like the Georgia Dome, boom, pow, gone. That kinda thing...

Old 11-27-2017, 06:46 PM

450 posts, read 466,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuf150 View Post
They want to remove the portion that crosses above MLK and goes down on to Montgomery St. The end would be on to MLK. The feeling is the overpass creates a separation along economic lines and is holding back on development further south on MLK.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
They want to remove the portion that crosses above MLK and goes down on to Montgomery St. The end would be on to MLK. The feeling is the overpass creates a separation along economic lines and is holding back on development further south on MLK.
Which, really, when you think about it, is narrow minded. Okay, a bridge is literally blocking the northern half of the road from the southern half thus creating a mental blockade.
This has already proven to not be the case though. There has been more economic development south of the flyover as of late and obviously there will be more more economic redevelopment to the north as it is closer to the river and where the tourists are.

The more I think about this idea of taking down the overpass, the more I don't like it. Just refurbish the thing to make it look better. Utilize SCAD students and their ideas. Make it a class project. Win-win.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:35 PM

18 posts, read 16,231 times
I’ve come around to kind of supporting the flyover removal after initially hating it. It’s more than just removing an eyesore that separates MLK. It opens up a ton of land (highways take up way more space than most people realize) that would be restored to a grid and developed. The plans even include building a new square. The maps/plans on the project website were pretty convincing for me.

https://reclaimingoldwestbroad.org/concept/

Old 11-28-2017, 05:47 PM

2,097 posts, read 2,288,948 times
wandering, such a good idea. Leverage our SCAD students. Or if it can't be refurbed how about make it a walking bridge/park. Like in NYC. Save the millions it would cost to dismantle it. Leave in place. That would increase surrounding land value.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
wandering, such a good idea. Leverage our SCAD students. Or if it can't be refurbed how about make it a walking bridge/park. Like in NYC. Save the millions it would cost to dismantle it. Leave in place. That would increase surrounding land value.
A walking bridge to where exactly? More interstate?

Old 11-29-2017, 11:29 AM

13,704 posts, read 22,016,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlter2 View Post
I’ve come around to kind of supporting the flyover removal after initially hating it. It’s more than just removing an eyesore that separates MLK. It opens up a ton of land (highways take up way more space than most people realize) that would be restored to a grid and developed. The plans even include building a new square. The maps/plans on the project website were pretty convincing for me.

https://reclaimingoldwestbroad.org/concept/
I’m opposed to dumping all that interstate traffic onto MLK at a signaled dead-end stop. MLK is already WAY overly congested at almost all times of the day and night, especially when SCAD is in session. Plus, the funneling of I-16 traffic onto Montgomery Street has always been a beautiful and inviting gateway into the city. I’d hate to lose that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: