Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:17 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
Yes, and stating a historical fact is important, I guess.

But what I don't get is the Daughters of the Confederacy posting up shop?? Like...the civil war is over, go home. There is nothing that they are selling that I wanna buy. Am I mistaken somehow??
My stepmother is a card-carrying member of the UDC; they tend to be quite misunderstood by people unfamiliar with the organization. They do a lot of good and charitable work that benefits both the black and white communities.

"THEREFORE, BE IT KNOWN, that The United Daughters of the Confederacy® does not associate with or include in its official UDC functions and events, any individual, group or organization known as unpatriotic, militant, racist or subversive to the United States of America and its Flag, AND

BE IT FURTHER KNOWN, that The United Daughters of the Confederacy® will not associate with any individual, group or organization identified as being militant, unpatriotic, racist or subversive to the United States of America and its Flag."

https://www.hqudc.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 06:46 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
Yes, and stating a historical fact is important, I guess.

But what I don't get is the Daughters of the Confederacy posting up shop?? Like...the civil war is over, go home. There is nothing that they are selling that I wanna buy. Am I mistaken somehow??
I think you are. Just like northern people are proud of their history, like the DAR, and others, southern people are proud of their roots, also. There is nothing wrong with it.

As a southern transplant, I’m amazed that the south was settled at all. The heat is so oppressive in the summer, that the early southerners must have been made of some strong stuff.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:39 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
As a southern transplant, I’m amazed that the south was settled at all. The heat is so oppressive in the summer, that the early southerners must have been made of some strong stuff.
That was the whole point of the slavery thing.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:46 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That was the whole point of the slavery thing.
Not everything is about slavery. Plenty of people did not own slaves.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:21 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
GA
He was making a correlation between the environment and hard work to slavery.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:49 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
GA
He was making a correlation between the environment and hard work to slavery.
Not to mention a race of people more acclimated to the Southern U.S.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:36 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not everything is about slavery. Plenty of people did not own slaves.
The development of the South is about slavery though. You think it's a coincidence that the places where slaves were concentrated in the South were the most developed early on and the Upcountry/Appalachia remained a backwater for so long?

You can't be this obtuse, even as a transplant.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 05-02-2018 at 02:17 PM..

Old 05-02-2018, 02:02 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
I know exactly what you mean. You also see the word Plantations everywhere in South. I think people adopt things and keep symbols around without fully understanding history. For instance once I grew into adulthood I found out secrets in my family bloodline that they still deny. You may see resemblance of horrible historical figures and symbols in the South, but I guarantee just like my black family secrets, most whites under 50 have no idea of what the true toll of slavery was on the South. History only teaches them about the civil war and confederacy as honorable. I think people try to measure Southern history through eyes of good slaves owners and blacks was solely workers honorable Plantation owners. However, it was a horrible era and not only were their bad slaveowners, blacks also face tremendous horrors from lower class whites also. My point! There are some truly good whites who have been lied too and truly want find out the about history from the family unless it is sought out. I wouldn’t exempt the rest of America. Europe originally spreaded the lie that blacks were not fully human and Greek Philosophers like Plato and Socrates taught that Causian was the standard for leadership. Furthermore look for charisma or gifting and not character. This is taught in some of our most prestigious educational institutions. This also explains why we have such weak leadership. We look for gifting and not character, I’ll respected of what color the person may be.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:10 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
When did investigative reading go out of style? When did all that has been written about the culture and history of the times get put away? The study of history is way, way better than any mystery book you can find. And as someone said in an early post: Do you really think you can learn all there is no know about this subject from this forum board?

Old 05-02-2018, 03:21 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Ok card carrying Black middle aged women here who loves Savannah and has it on her top 4 spots to possible retire.

So Op here are my thoughts.

I love history, and if you are going to love history and be proud of your country you must accept it warts and all. America was built on slavery and a lot of other really nasty mindsets. No one can change that. I'm from NYC and currently live in Philly. I've had to deal with racist pricks in both cities. stupidity is very mobile nowadays. the south has the same attitude about slavery as I would suspect the North, east, and west. It was horrible, just like the holocaust, the Khmer rouge, how we treated native americans and South African apartheid. Humans can be monstrously evil.

The plantation in Charleston may have very good reason to be proud. first I find us Americans (and I've lived in Portugal) tear down our history really, really quick. I live in Philly, birthplace of America, before we wised up you should have seen how many historical houses were bulldozed for the ugliest buildings known to God. so first they may have been proud that they had an entire plantation intact. that in itself is impressive.
Next slaves were considered property and property equaled wealth. Even by antebellum standards 800 slaves would have been impressive.

Just because an organization is old does not mean it's useless or subscribes to the same ideals. Have you heard of HBCU's?? historically black colleges and universities. many folks today wonder if they are relevant? they came out of the fact that blacks could not go to white colleges so we formed our own. now of course that's no longer an issue but HBCU's still contribute greatly.

I suspect the the DotC sell historical artifacts and other stuff. If you are a civil war buff and believe me there are a gazillion then they may interest you.

I'm sure Savannah and Charleston have their fare share of morons just like Philly does and I'm willing to bet that just like Philly not all of them are white.

So my suggestion is to do what I did, take a tour, accept the good and the bad of any city and it's history. if you are looking for a place to relocate then get to know the residents that are there now and worry about what happened in 1836 when you visit the AA museum in DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area