Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 08:28 PM

57 posts, read 45,368 times

Advertisements

I’m desperate to relocate to the right area and want to k ow more about Savannah.

I’m from up north, MA- to be specific so this may end up being a culture for me. I’m a professional African American single mom to a middle schooler. I’m looking for an area with great public schools, great or at least decent job market. Im also looking for diversity. I’m an accountant by trade, but work within healthcare and I’m planning to pursue my MBA real soon. I don’t have a job preference at the moment and will settle for anything (within reason) with a decent salary to get settled.

Would you recommend Savannah to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 07:28 AM

89 posts, read 85,840 times
We are relocating from MD - bought the house, officially GA residents in about a month. One of the reasons that factored into our decision to move to Savannah was the lower cost of living and drastic differences in home prices. The home we bought in GA would easily have been at least double what we paid if it were in MD. We also are sick of snow and bitter cold and as far as I am concerned, I have shoveled out from my LAST blizzard! We also wanted to be closer to the beach (25-ish minute drive now vs. 3 hours).

With the lower cost of living does come lower rates of pay from what we may be used to. My main career had been in Office/AP/AR/Accounting and Data Analysis work. I am a stay at home mom now but I did take a look at what I was making here vs. what a comparable job in Savannah would pay. The pay "cut" was around $15-20k give or take. So while housing and other expenses are cheaper, the amount of money one can make tends to be less as well. My husband is an Independent Contractor and his work takes him all over so the lower pay compared to MD isn't an issue for us.

My daughter is graduating this year so we did not do research into schooling. I have seen and read a lot about the public school system(s) not being great in Savannah and that many choose to enroll their kids in private schools. Again, I just read this and have nothing to help you out re: schools. Sorry!

I'd recommend you take a trip down to check things out (if you haven't already). We made it a point to travel down during each season so we could get a taste of what winter and especially summer were like. We have hot, humid summers here but NOTHING like Savannah. We decided oppressive summer heat was much better than bitter cold and blizzards.

We also planned "recon trips" where we drove through various neighborhoods around the area we wanted to live after researching them online. First hand touring showed us that neighborhoods we thought were perfect for us were in fact not. We actually ended up buying in a neighborhood that we'd never visited prior until we found our house.

Hope this helps a little!

Old 05-04-2018, 10:08 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,656,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflycricket View Post
I’m desperate to relocate to the right area and want to k ow more about Savannah.

I’m from up north, MA- to be specific so this may end up being a culture for me. I’m a professional African American single mom to a middle schooler. I’m looking for an area with great public schools, great or at least decent job market. Im also looking for diversity. I’m an accountant by trade, but work within healthcare and I’m planning to pursue my MBA real soon. I don’t have a job preference at the moment and will settle for anything (within reason) with a decent salary to get settled.

Would you recommend Savannah to me?

Nope. Great public schools, great or decent job market and settle for any job with a decent SALARY. I (personal opinion of course ) can't fit that into the Savannah profile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
View detailed profiles of: