Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 07:52 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,158,857 times

Advertisements

I agree, just build the damn thing already. Also, if the residents of Carver Heights thought that the arena wouldn't bring commercial and residential development to their area, they area naive. With the Arena and Canal District plan, there fate of Carver Village and West Savannah is sealed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 04:45 PM

An excellent analysis from this Sunday's City Talk column. As I've stated before, whether the residents of Carver Village and West Savannah at large know it, but that entire area will be one the next gentrification areas once the new arena opens, and if the plans for the Canal District do become reality, it will be one of the hottest areas in the city. Even, the Hudson Hill/Bayview neighborhood is beginning to see new investment.

Quote:
In recent years, largely due to the extended economic expansion, some of Savannah’s dividing lines have become increasingly blurred, but that doesn’t mean that we have created meeting points. As gentrification and real estate investment impact new areas, we run the risk of displacing longtime residents and creating new dividing lines.

And this brings me around again to the city of Savannah’s planned arena, which will be located in the no man’s land near the historic water works at the northeast corner of West Gwinnett Street and Stiles Avenue.
https://www.savannahnow.com/business...-dividing-line

Old 10-27-2018, 07:12 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,694,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Also, if the residents of Carver Heights thought that the arena wouldn't bring commercial and residential development to their area, they area naive.

Hmmmm. I bit harsh don't you think. These are not the Donald Trumps of the world. They don't own. They are mearly part of the "system". They have very little say in the matter but, beware, protest groups and resistance can blow up in situations like this. IMHO depends on red or blue.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Hmmmm. I bit harsh don't you think. These are not the Donald Trumps of the world. They don't own. They are mearly part of the "system". They have very little say in the matter but, beware, protest groups and resistance can blow up in situations like this. IMHO depends on red or blue.
I know it sounds a bit harsh, but I see the writing on the wall. The Arena and Canal District will be the largest public works development in the city's history. This, along with the fact that all of West Savannah has been designated an Opportunity Zone, will attract potentially millions of dollars in development. I do feel sorry for the citizens of Carver Village because despite their best efforts, I feel that behind the door wheeling and dealing has sealed the fate of this area. Another factor too sealing the fate of the area, is the fact that once the older residents of this area die, I fear their children either won't be able to keep these homes due to the rising real estate values that may come to this area and also due to the fact that many simply may not want to remain in the area if they can afford to leave. I hope I'm wrong, but I have seen this scenario play out in too many cities in this country from Atlanta to Chicago to New York.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:19 AM

[quote=Airforceguy;5348327 Another factor too sealing the fate of the area, is the fact that once the older residents of this area die, I fear their children either won't be able to keep these homes due to the rising real estate values that may come to this area and also due to the fact that many simply may not want to remain in the area if they can afford to leave[/quote]

I think you might have some flawed thinking here on "fear they can't keep their homes due to rising real estate values". . .Their expenses don't rise only the value does.(other than a increase in tax evaluation that you can appeal at the tax dept). Why does anyone want to leave that? Secondly, "may not want to remain in the area if they can afford to leave". You're confusing me. LOL. First you said they can't afford to stay, then you say they have money to leave. Which is it?

My opinion: Nobody goes anyplace when they see the possibility of a pot of gold. They can be kicked out. Forced out. Burnt out. Shot. Die. But I don't think they leave without a deal.

Disclosure: I really don't know anything about this deal or what has been proposed so far. My opinions are based on real estate history as I know it.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I think you might have some flawed thinking here on "fear they can't keep their homes due to rising real estate values". . .Their expenses don't rise only the value does.(other than a increase in tax evaluation that you can appeal at the tax dept). Why does anyone want to leave that? Secondly, "may not want to remain in the area if they can afford to leave". You're confusing me. LOL. First you said they can't afford to stay, then you say they have money to leave. Which is it?

My opinion: Nobody goes anyplace when they see the possibility of a pot of gold. They can be kicked out. Forced out. Burnt out. Shot. Die. But I don't think they leave without a deal.

Disclosure: I really don't know anything about this deal or what has been proposed so far. My opinions are based on real estate history as I know it.
You are right, the way I was trying to express my thoughts came out wrong. What I was trying to say is similar to your response. I believe that if this area does become the next "hot" area of Savannah, certainly developers/real estate interests will offer residents large sums of money for their homes and many would probably take the cash and go. One thing that could be in the residents favor is that the neighborhood association is seeking a historic district status for Carver Village and if it is granted, that certainly would impact what developers would be be able to do in the area.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
You are right, the way I was trying to express my thoughts came out wrong. What I was trying to say is similar to your response. I believe that if this area does become the next "hot" area of Savannah, certainly developers/real estate interests will offer residents large sums of money for their homes and many would probably take the cash and go. One thing that could be in the residents favor is that the neighborhood association is seeking a historic district status for Carver Village and if it is granted, that certainly would impact what developers would be be able to do in the area.

^^^^This. Thanks. Got it.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:24 PM

The three concept designs for the exterior of the arena were unveiled Tuesday night. Personally I like concept two. The final design will be chosen by early 2019. Also the Urban Land Institute unveiled their findings regarding the future of the current Civic Center site and their report stated that the entire site should be demolished and Elbert Square and the street grid restored. I favor this and I hope it becomes a reality one day.
CONCEPT ONE
Savannah Arena Concept-1 by brandon walker, on Flickr

Savannah Arena Concept-1 by brandon walker, on Flickr

CONCEPT TWO
Savannah Arena Concept-2 by brandon walker, on Flickr

Savannah Arena Concept-2 by brandon walker, on Flickr

CONCEPT THREE
Savannah Arena Concept-3 by brandon walker, on Flickr

Savannah Arena Concept-3 by brandon walker, on Flickr

Quote:
Representatives of Urban Land Institute recommended during the workshop that the the entire Savannah Civic Center be demolished and that aspects of the city’s historic town plan - including Elbert Square - be restored. The potential for additional public space, as well as commercial development and mixed-income residential housing, was touted as a benefit of clearing the site at Montgomery and Liberty streets.
https://www.savannahnow.com/news/201...arena-unveiled

Old 10-30-2018, 07:27 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,965,337 times
I also favor concept 2 and am happy the report recommends demolishing the entire current civic center site in favor of restoring the grid.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:38 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,901,501 times
I like the FIRST photo in Concept 3

But I'm glad to see all the concepts are MODERN and not the big brick barn looking thing that has been proposed thus far. Savannah NEEDS some really cool modern architecture and the arena / canal district is the perfect place for it.

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-30-2018 at 11:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area