Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 12:25 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Folks, Savannah will never have major transportation tunnels -- impossible in most southeastern coastal cities, and Savannah is a poster child for that. Too much rain, too much porous low-lying land. Yamacraw Bluff, the exception to Savannah's sandy soil, is too small and gives way quickly to wetlands. A tunnel is impossible as a replacement for the Talmadge Bridge, especially linking Savannah with world capitals like Hardeeville and Ridgeland. Big storms (and hurricanes) bring torrents of rain that swamp tunnels immediately. It's not going to happen, and the price tag is impossible. A span it will be -- hopefully with a pedestrian lane.
Thank you Debbie downer. Your word is now cemented and thus no tunnel will never ever in a million years be possible. Nope. Let’s just forget it was ever mentioned because Mason says it’s not gonna happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 06:18 PM

450 posts, read 461,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Thank you Debbie downer. Your word is now cemented and thus no tunnel will never ever in a million years be possible. Nope. Let’s just forget it was ever mentioned because Mason says it’s not gonna happen.
You know he's right though.😂😂

Old 09-22-2018, 09:38 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
You know he's right though.😂😂
That’s not my point.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:40 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,108,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
That’s not my point.
Debbie's point: Dream BIG for Savannah -- it's going places. But also lay off the moonshine. Btw: Bridges happen to be beautiful. I love the Talmadge and the Ravenel.

Old 09-25-2018, 05:27 AM

18 posts, read 16,042 times
I would love if they had a pedestrian path. I run across the bridge somewhat regularly. And it is not really a great place to run. Highway speed cars on one side and low railing on the other. It’s not too unsafe, but uncomfortable for most. I think a lot of pedestrians/cyclists would use the new bridge even though there is little on the other side of the bridge.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:25 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Debbie's point: Dream BIG for Savannah -- it's going places. But also lay off the moonshine. Btw: Bridges happen to be beautiful. I love the Talmadge and the Ravenel.
While I agree bridges can be beautiful, to say a tunnel is "impossible", I would politely disagree. If they can build the Port Miami Tunnel under their Main Channel (a similar distance as the width of Savannah River), they can build a tunnel in Savannah.

Of course it comes down to money, a new bridge will probably cost $400 million+, while a tunnel might cost $1-1.5 Billion. It's amazing what those engineers can do nowadays!

Old 09-25-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If they can build the Port Miami Tunnel under their Main Channel (a similar distance as the width of Savannah River), they can build a tunnel in Savannah.
Metro Miami: 6.2 million people (7th largest metro in the U.S. -- Atlanta ranks 9th)
Metro Savannah: 390,000 (136th -- between Gulfport-Biloxi and Fayetteville)

Quote:
Of course it comes down to money, a new bridge will probably cost $400 million+, while a tunnel might cost $1-1.5 Billion. It's amazing what those engineers can do nowadays!
The Miami dig connected potentially millions of people on both sides of the tunnel. The state of Florida also prioritizes Miami (always). Neither the $$$ nor "amazing engineering" will connect downtown Savannah to potential raccoons, possums, and gators in S.C. Lowcountry swamps. Finally, the engineering required beneath wetlands would be a feat indeed.

Quote:
To say a tunnel is "impossible"
Not just impossible -- completely-homer-impossible.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 09-25-2018 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-25-2018, 08:52 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Not just impossible -- completely-homer-impossible.
Not really, it is quite possible, why do you even care if you live in NYC?

Old 09-25-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
why do you even care if you live in NYC?
I grew up in Savannah -- still visit family and follow all the local developments.

Quote:
Not really, it is quite possible
Nope, it's a fantasy.

Old 09-25-2018, 04:59 PM

450 posts, read 461,588 times
There will never be anything on the SC side except maybe a future expanded port. There is not much land to be developed, really we could abandon Hutchinson Island make it a resort accessible by ferry only with no motor vehicles and take the bridge down and save a ton of money for the state of Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area