Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2018, 10:31 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,164,606 times

Advertisements

IMO, the city should demolish the entire site, I see no point in keeping the Johnny Mercer Theater. Any small community events and performances could be handled by the new Cultural Arts Center or by the new arena. I would like to see Elbert Square restored and a mixed-use development built on the site.

Quote:
Hernandez said the committee’s members will be invited to the community conversations they will be having. In addition, the city has sent the institute all of the studies related to the Civic Center and new arena and they will all be taken into consideration, he said.
The city launched a survey on Friday so the community can offer their own thoughts on the site’s future. Urban Land Institute officials will also be conducting a series of stakeholder input sessions before presenting their preliminary findings to the Savannah City Council on Oct. 30, Hernandez said. The final report on how to proceed is then expected to be issued within the following six months, he said.
City determining Savannah Civic Center's future with help of public survey - News - Savannah Morning News - Savannah, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 12:19 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
I agree with you. Demolish the whole thing and restore the original grid. That’s a lot of land that could be returned to the city’s tax base. $$$ in addition to potential new population that would help the vibrancy of downtown.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:46 PM

I honestly believe that with the impending redevelopment of the Civic Center site, Arena and Canal District, current residential and hotel development along MLK and Yamacraw Village, that the entire vibe and look of the Westside will be totally different within 25 years. Its exciting and scary at the same time to see the changes that are unfolding in Savannah.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:39 PM

450 posts, read 462,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I honestly believe that with the impending redevelopment of the Civic Center site, Arena and Canal District, current residential and hotel development along MLK and Yamacraw Village, that the entire vibe and look of the Westside will be totally different within 25 years. Its exciting and scary at the same time to see the changes that are unfolding in Savannah.
It is going to be very interesting how Carver Village changes. There will be an opportunity for some to make quite a bit of money as their property becomes valuable commercial property. I wonder where the Historical preservation people will draw the line like with the ridiculous dry cleaner on West Bay Street.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
It is going to be very interesting how Carver Village changes. There will be an opportunity for some to make quite a bit of money as their property becomes valuable commercial property. I wonder where the Historical preservation people will draw the line like with the ridiculous dry cleaner on West Bay Street.
I agree, however unless the city or residents of the community try to declare Carver Village a historic district, I doubt the historic preservation crowd will be successful. The writing is on the wall that areas west of MLK will be the new frontier in the redevelopment of Savannah. It would be naïve for the residents of Carver Village to believe that the city would build a $140 million arena and not expect commercial, hotel and residential development not to occur. On a related note, there was a 23-acre tract of land on West Gwinnett that was listed for sale at $5.6 million, its no longer listed on their site. So one can only assume that someone has brought that site and we will hear something soon about this site being developed once the Gwinnett Street widening is complete. Also, finally we must consider plans for new Savannah River Bridge and possible I-16 flyover ramp removal. These two massive infrastructure undertakings will certainly have a major impact on the layout of the westside and could lead to even more development. Trust me when I say the days of Yamacraw Village and the Kayton/Frazier Homes are numbered. I have a feeling the former residents of this area will either find themselves out on the southside or in Garden City.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:51 PM

450 posts, read 462,004 times
Agreed, and I see further development and mixed housing on the Southwest side past I-95. They are currently building an apartment complex along 95 by the Shellhouse and Hooters. They also just announced a new hotel right there as well.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
Agreed, and I see further development and mixed housing on the Southwest side past I-95. They are currently building an apartment complex along 95 by the Shellhouse and Hooters. They also just announced a new hotel right there as well.
I believe the apartment complex is being built by the housing authority. I remember reading a few months ago about authority developing a new affordable apartment complex at I-95 and SR 204 and some residents in Georgetown being upset about it.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:01 AM

509 posts, read 433,467 times
I no longer live in Savannah, but I grew up there initially in downtown next to Crawford Square and then in Ardsley Park. I went to school at Charles Ellis and the Savannah Arts Academy. Even though I don't live there anymore I consider this to be a very important decision and did the survey. I would definitely like to see the continuation of the Oglethorpe Plan including the restoration of Elbert Square and redevelop the area with residential and mixed-use developments. I would really like to see this as a sustainable neighborhood that will have housing available for a broad range of incomes and some commercial mixed in too. We will see what happens though!

Old 10-03-2018, 11:06 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Sell it lock stock & barrel to a developer... The city is then completely off the hook.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:37 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Sell it lock stock & barrel to a developer... The city is then completely off the hook.
But then retaining the original plan is up to the developer. Retaining the Oglethorpe plan should be of utmost importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area