Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 04:48 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Fine if you don't like it, but you're not a forum moderator. Leave it to the C-D mods to decide what's TOS and who needs warnings (or something more drastic). Also, let the SCAD community decide whom they wish to honor with a building. It's not a public school, so we have no decision in its operations.
That's just what I have done. I never have asked the mod to take any action on my behalf. Public school or not was not the issue with that tread as far as I'm concerned. But, let's drop that because it's going nowhere. Have blessed day. I'll keep you in my prayer book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 09:50 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I'll keep you in my prayer book.
One of the reasons I'm glad my parents chose Savannah over Macon.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
One of the reasons I'm glad my parents chose Savannah over Macon.
Whatever. Don't know what that means.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:33 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Whatever. Don't know what that means.
Every thread needs a juicy non-sequitur now and then to keep things interesting.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
a juicy non-sequitur now and then.
More "sequitur," less "non." Savannah features far less religiosity than the other 2nd-tiers. Always has (thank God).

Last edited by masonbauknight; 10-14-2018 at 03:37 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
More "sequitur," less "non." Savannah features far less religiosity than the other 2nd-tiers. Always has (thank God).
Savannah is plenty religious. They're just a little more catholic in their approach to the subject.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
If SCAD were based in Effingham County, perhaps even Pooler, it would face pushback. But it's in Savannah north of Victory Drive. Totally different. The City Council wouldn't sanction a mainstay of the city's prosperity. Why would they?

I thought I was done with this tread until I was reviewing "Savannah Development" thread currently here on CD. The answer to your question might lie with the comments today from News Boy and Airforce Guy regarding the loss of tax revenues because of the SCAD's tax exemption. IF, I was SCAD I wouldn't want to wake up that sleeping dog. I would want to a friend to ALL. But, again, that's only my opinion. What do I know. I'm here to learn.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
ISCAD's tax exemption. IF, I was SCAD I wouldn't want to wake up that sleeping dog. I would want to a friend to ALL. But, again, that's only my opinion. What do I know. I'm here to learn.
Tax exemption is less important -- Savannah owes much of its 1980s stabilization, 1990s foot traffic, 21st-century perception of less paranoia over HD safety, and current real estate explosion and gentrification to SCAD's arrival downtown. The school gives back to the city much more (in downtown population boost, student/faculty purchases, and rent to folks like you) than do institutions without a tax exemption. It's been a golden goose for the city, whether you like its lefty-pinko political culture or not.

Quote:
Savannah is plenty religious. They're just a little more catholic in their approach to the subject.
I have to agree with that. But even years ago when I was growing up in Savannah, it was considered a little "rustic" or "Middle Georgia" to tell people you'd pray for their soul or their sins and hope they find the way to Jesus. The city had too many Catholic, Greek Orthodox, and Jewish families for that. Other 2nd-tier GA cities were another story, and still are to a certain extent.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 10-15-2018 at 08:25 AM..

Old 10-15-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I have to agree with that. But even years ago when I was growing up in Savannah, it was considered a little "rustic" or "Middle Georgia" to tell people you'd pray for their soul or their sins and hope they find the way to Jesus. The city had too many Catholic, Greek Orthodox, and Jewish families for that. Other 2nd-tier GA cities were another story, and still are to a certain extent.
cath·o·lic
ˈkaTH(ə)lik/Submit
adjective
including a wide variety of things; all-embracing.
"her tastes are pretty catholic"
synonyms: universal, diverse, diversified, wide, broad, broad-based, eclectic, liberal, latitudinarian;

Old 10-15-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
cath·o·lic
ˈkaTH(ə)lik/Submit
adjective
including a wide variety of things; all-embracing.
"her tastes are pretty catholic"
synonyms: universal, diverse, diversified, wide, broad, broad-based, eclectic, liberal, latitudinarian;

LOL. And his way spelled with a cap "C". Oh, my.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area