Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2018, 05:29 PM

5 posts, read 3,899 times

Advertisements

My parents will be retiring to Hilton Head Sun City Okatie SC area within the next couple of years. As an only child with no family of my own and a job I am ready to leave, currently located on the west coast 3000 miles away, I will be moving with them. Mid-forties, work in ministry, media, marketing, writing. As the crow flies, I assumed I would be settling in or around Savannah for a more active and cultural living and employment-related environment, but haven't seen Savannah come up in any of the Hilton Head (Okatie/Bluffton/Beaufort) relocation / surrounding area advice threads. Is Savannah a little bit too far from Hilton Head Sun City (NOT the island)? I currently live 15 minutes from family and would like to stay within about a half an hour ballpark.
Advice?
THANKS in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 06:06 PM

450 posts, read 461,513 times
You should have no problems. Downtown is about 30 minutes across the bridge and through Bluffton. You could also live in Pooler and go Interstate 95 to Highway 278 into Sun City. Either way will be 25-30 miles to Sun City. You should have no problem, finding something to fit your likes and styles. Pooler is more suburban if you prefer it. Downtown has a lot going on and a bunch of new apartments planned and under construction, there are lots of options, the biggest issue will be your budget, it is getting a little pricey in the area. If you want closer, Bluffton is seeing a lot of growth as well. My choice would be downtown Savannah though.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:53 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
^^^^excellent advise. Nothing more to say than this.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:34 PM

To follow up on the job issue, Savannah has alot of job growth and lots of openings. Media includes 4 television stations and a newspaper. The film industry is growing. SCAD has brought a lot of art/design/writing people and businesses. Salaries aren't where they should be but it is slowly growing. Gulfstream, Georgia Ports and the Airport are growing with good jobs.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:41 PM

5 posts, read 3,899 times
I'm reading these in an overheated living room in Brooklyn in the middle of the night finishing up a vacation where we went location scouting and pretty much decided on my parents moving to Sun City HH. And I have to say because of how this all worked out, you two who have responded already have had a sentimental impact on the final night of my trip and on what is looking like it will be a major life transition. And I'm not too worried about budget because I'm moving from California and before that New York city so I have been exposed to high rents my whole life and some of my employment is writing based so it can travel with me wherever I go. I have sadly always lived in a higher-priced metropolis. Anyway. Your encouragement and advice has been not only of geographic encouragement but a nice emotional deep breath to this whole process. I have faith in what God is doing in all of our lives in this move but you have layered that with Geographic and cultural logic as well as neighborly kindness. I'm getting very excited and I am deeply appreciative of those of you who have taken the time to comment. I had gotten some feedback on South Carolina boards saying that Hilton Head was way too far a commute but apparently I was miscommunicating and they were thinking Hilton Head Island. Plus, pink caddy, in today's climate I just like to see somebody being so supportive of someone else's contribution. Awesome. You both have doubly made my day. Thanks and many blessings. See you all in Savannah....or Pooler...or some such.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:51 PM

11 posts, read 13,905 times
We have decided to relocate to Sun City Hilton Head from Georgia. We currently live half way between Atlanta and Augusta, and we have found the area to be to remote having both lived our lives close to metro areas of larger cities. Having to go an hour plus in either direction for the things we need and like to do is more than we want. Hilton Head area has a good mix of things we need, plus the beach. One of the reasons for our choice is that Savannah is so accessible when we want to visit a larger city. I wish you well as you take this new step in your life.

Last edited by PeachesNGolf; 10-07-2018 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 10-08-2018, 05:24 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
My daughter lives in Pooler and she commutes to Hilton Head Island every day for work. Traffic is terrible during commuting hours but other times I understand it is not as bad. You wouldn't have to drive that far.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:20 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Actually, any of the communities along Rte 278 before Hilton Head (such as Sun City, Latitudes, and others) are more desirable to me than Hilton Head itself. I find the traffic on Hilton Head to be very oppressive, and would not want to contend with it every day.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Corners View Post
I'm reading these in an overheated living room in Brooklyn in the middle of the night finishing up a vacation where we went location scouting and pretty much decided on my parents moving to Sun City HH. And I have to say because of how this all worked out, you two who have responded already have had a sentimental impact on the final night of my trip and on what is looking like it will be a major life transition. And I'm not too worried about budget because I'm moving from California and before that New York city so I have been exposed to high rents my whole life and some of my employment is writing based so it can travel with me wherever I go. I have sadly always lived in a higher-priced metropolis. Anyway. Your encouragement and advice has been not only of geographic encouragement but a nice emotional deep breath to this whole process. I have faith in what God is doing in all of our lives in this move but you have layered that with Geographic and cultural logic as well as neighborly kindness. I'm getting very excited and I am deeply appreciative of those of you who have taken the time to comment. I had gotten some feedback on South Carolina boards saying that Hilton Head was way too far a commute but apparently I was miscommunicating and they were thinking Hilton Head Island. Plus, pink caddy, in today's climate I just like to see somebody being so supportive of someone else's contribution. Awesome. You both have doubly made my day. Thanks and many blessings. See you all in Savannah....or Pooler...or some such.
I am glad we were able to provide a bright spot for you! You will really enjoy the history of Savannah. Rent will not be anywhere near what you have been paying but neither will salarie but you should be okay. Don't hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area