Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 03:05 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,123,701 times

Advertisements

While construction has been underway for the last 2 months, this will be the "official" groundbreaking. Still waiting to see when tenants will be announced, especially the hotel and retail tenants. I wish a grocer was included in the first phase. The Savannah Morning News will have an article in the Sunday paper that will give more details on this amazing project. I really hope some tenants are included in the article. Also, the Eastern Wharf site has a new rendering. I must say that like it!
Eastern Wharf-Savannah by brandon walker, on Flickr

Quote:
The first phase, which is already underway and expected to cost about $225 million, will bring a 306-unit multi-family apartment building, 40,000-square-feet of retail space devoted primarily to food and beverage and a 196-room hotel, 80,000 square-feet of office space, a linear park and a programmable two acre riverfront park along with an 1,100 space parking garage including a 700 space city owned garage.
The first phase should be complete by the fall of 2020 and Mayor Eddie DeLoach said he was happy to finally see the site, which has had its share of false starts in the past, take shape.
https://www.savannahnow.com/business...nt-in-savannah
http://www.easternwharf.com

Last edited by Airforceguy; 10-23-2018 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 03:29 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,795,001 times
Nowhere as dense as the original Savannah River Landing proposal but I love the look of that 14 story hotel tower. Should be a nice addition to the skyline.

I’ve noticed just in the past couple of days that construction has really ramped up: New fences everywhere, cranes and constructon trailers on site. They even paved the new intersection at the light with President Street.

Sometime soon I’m gonna try and see how close you can still get to the site from the Marriott. Last time I was over there you could still walk the entire length of the river walk extension past the site.

Also from looking at the website that part of the river front was once a thriving industrial area known as the Eastern Wharves so the name isn’t entirely without historic precedent.

Last edited by Newsboy; 10-23-2018 at 03:40 PM..

Old 10-23-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Nowhere as dense as the original Savannah River Landing proposal but I love the look of that 14 story hotel tower. Should be a nice addition to the skyline.

I’ve noticed just in the past couple of days that construction has really ramped up: New fences everywhere, cranes and constructon trailers on site. They even paved the new intersection at the light with President Street.

Sometime soon I’m gonna try and see how close you can still get to the site from the Marriott. Last time I was over there you could still walk the entire length of the river walk extension past the site.

Also from looking at the website that part of the river front was once a thriving industrial area known as the Eastern Wharves so the name isn’t entirely without historic precedent.
I agree, but you have to remember that this only the first phase and that several more are planned. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of residential units in the Eastern Wharf project approaches 1,000 when its totally built out. I was just happy to see something over 6 stories being built on the riverfront. The eastside will be the best chance to expand the city's skyline and I'm looking forward to that.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:19 PM

Yes being outside the HD there’s no height restrictions (just like on Hutchinson) so the developer reality should take advantage of that. I still wouldn’t build anything taller than what exists now, however.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Yes being outside the HD there’s no height restrictions (just like on Hutchinson) so the developer reality should take advantage of that. I still wouldn’t build anything taller than what exists now, however.
I agree, anything over 12 stories would be too tall for the riverfront, but on Hutchinson Island I would like to see some 20 story buildings.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I agree, anything over 12 stories would be too tall for the riverfront, but on Hutchinson Island I would like to see some 20 story buildings.
This hotel rendering appears to be 14 floors according to the photo. The Westin is 18 I believe when you count the double height of the lobby and the roof.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
This hotel rendering appears to be 14 floors according to the photo. The Westin is 18 I believe when you count the double height of the lobby and the roof.
According to the news report on WSAV, the hotel will only be 12 stories, btw have you heard any rumors about what hotel chain may come and what retailers are looking at this development

Old 10-24-2018, 04:54 AM

16 posts, read 16,492 times
If you use this controllable USGS live camera on Hutchinson Island you can see the development any time.

https://www2.usgs.gov/water/southatl...-savannah.html

Old 10-24-2018, 08:21 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,260,723 times
Gray that's so cool! It works!!!

I like that there are grass green space and squares and trees. All for that, and maintaining public right of way green space and paths along the river continuously. Continuity is key for making the space a warm and enjoyable area and part of the city.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfru View Post
If you use this controllable USGS live camera on Hutchinson Island you can see the development any time.

https://www2.usgs.gov/water/southatl...-savannah.html
That is really cool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area