U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 11:11 AM

6,469 posts, read 5,712,185 times

Advertisements

It looks like the local races here in Coastal Georgia will be competitive for the first time in years and Congressman Buddy Carter and State Rep. Ron Stephens face their first real competitive races in years. I hope Lisa Ring is able to win beat Carter. He seems out of touch with the needs of the residents of the 1st and his support for off-shore drilling disturbs me.

Quote:
n a question about the infant mortality rate in Georgia – the highest in the United States – Carter admitted that he was surprised and embarrassed during recent Congressional hearings on the topic when he learned how serious the problem was, “and Georgia was the worst in the U.S.,” but he seemed to be unable to make the connection between poverty, lack of adequate health care, and these sad statistics. There are a lot of poor, rural folks both black and white, in the Georgia 1st.

Perhaps his lowest moment was when he was asked whether he felt it was appropriate for the federal government to be involved in the issue of ensuring equal pay for women.
https://www.savannahbusinessjournal....-movement.html

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-29-2018 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: copyright violation
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 08:25 PM

40,278 posts, read 49,794,534 times
SMN did endorse Carter today.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:14 PM

13,708 posts, read 18,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
SMN did endorse Carter today.
Surprise surprise surprise

Old 10-29-2018, 07:21 AM

3,871 posts, read 5,560,782 times
Going to take a massive turnout in Chatham county for Lisa Ring to win this race. Absolutely hate gerrymandered maps as there is never any turnover with the candidates & instead of being politicians for the people they become survival minded & rarely do anything for the public good.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:14 AM

13,708 posts, read 18,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Going to take a massive turnout in Chatham county for Lisa Ring to win this race. Absolutely hate gerrymandered maps as there is never any turnover with the candidates & instead of being politicians for the people they become survival minded & rarely do anything for the public good.
Agreed. I talked with one of Lisa Ring’s campaign reps on Saturday and she said they believe she can win with a strong turnout in Chatham and Liberty but neither campaign has done any polling.

I see lots of Lisa Ring signs all over town including the islands. I’ve yet to see a single Buddy Carter sign. I’m hoping that works in her favor.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:36 AM

Abrams may carry quite a few democrats to victory this year, her GOTV is extremely strong & Kemp's purge of voter registration played right into her hands. Kemp gave her campaign a super sized steroid shot from purging all of the voter registrations, even though these people can still vote, black voters are now very energized as they believe the same old white guys in power are trying to take their vote away. I think if he wouldn't have done this he would be up 5 in polls right now but he is being assaulted by both the local & national press which is going to turn a couple of % points of swing voters against him.

https://www.ajc.com/news/huge-maybe-...WMfT1RmwXQUvM/

Through Thursday, 944,426 people had voted in Georgia – that’s almost three times as many ballots cast as at the same point in the last midterm elections in 2014.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:24 PM

Carter may be in for a huge surprise based upon models from early polling.

The racial breakdown of the district is below...

62.99% White
29.66% Black
1.4% Asian
6.57% Hispanic
0.34% Native American

Due to huge early voting numbers especially among first time black voters this district may flip.

Total early votes are 1,830,076....

Per the poll whites are breaking 67-27 for Kemp & Blacks 90-4 for Abrams. All numbers are rounded, I see the numbers breaking the same for our race here in Savannah. Whites will go around 66% for Carter & Blacks 90 to 95% for Lisa.

1,060,591 whites have voted early & 548,450 Blacks have voted early.

We don't have the exact early voting numbers for our district, but if the early voting is distributed about the same as the racial breakdown in our district then Carter will be hurting....

Old 11-02-2018, 06:17 PM

So I was able to find our Congessional district breakdown....

Georgia Votes | US House GA-1

White 68,746

Black 28,486

Hispanic 1,020

Asian 612

Other 9478

Lisa will grab about 95% of the Black vote plus about 27% of the white vote based upon Kemp/Abrams #'s. I don't think we are going to see a lot of party cross over among these two groups.

This will give Carter & her each with about 46k votes....

This could well come down to the other/Asian/Hispanics who will tip the election.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:11 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,484,081 times
Disappointed with the GA election results, which I followed closely. Abrams came close, and was a good candidate. Sorry, but just how Carter could have lost to Ring in a district that includes Waycross, Ludowici, and Jessup is beyond me. It seemed to be a foregone conclusion that votes in the City of Savannah could never overcome votes in Pooler, Guyton, Skidaway, Wilmington, Georgetown, and great swaths of S. Georgia. Impossible.

I also saw the current Georgia map of US congressional districts -- gerrymandered through Athens, Columbus, and Macon. What a hoot -- the GA statehouse had a Weed Party coming up with those districts, effectively neutralizing black and college-educated voters in Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or