Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 12:06 PM

111 posts, read 98,605 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I’ve posted a few times gathering information for a move south. We visited over the summer for a week and looked around quite a bit. We’re selling our house in the Northeast and moving down sometime between April-August, depending on how quickly our house here sells.

So here’s my latest question, we’re looking further out from Savannah to hopefully get a bit more land with our next house, and space between neighbors.. We’re looking at: Ellabell vs Springfield? Any opinions on one vs the other and why? We’re a quiet couple in our younger 30’s, no kids or plans for them, and two dogs.

And if you have an idea of utilities for a two person household? I know utilities in Georgia are a little different from Pennsylvania. Our winters are much more harsh, and we have natural gas for heat/hot water/cooking up here. How does garbage service work since they are more rural towns? Public water/sewer or well/septic tanks/field?

THANKS AGAIN !!! Trying to make sure we are as prepared as we can possibly be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 04:12 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKreidler View Post
Hey everyone! I’ve posted a few times gathering information for a move south. We visited over the summer for a week and looked around quite a bit. We’re selling our house in the Northeast and moving down sometime between April-August, depending on how quickly our house here sells.

So here’s my latest question, we’re looking further out from Savannah to hopefully get a bit more land with our next house, and space between neighbors.. We’re looking at: Ellabell vs Springfield? Any opinions on one vs the other and why? We’re a quiet couple in our younger 30’s, no kids or plans for them, and two dogs.

And if you have an idea of utilities for a two person household? I know utilities in Georgia are a little different from Pennsylvania. Our winters are much more harsh, and we have natural gas for heat/hot water/cooking up here. How does garbage service work since they are more rural towns? Public water/sewer or well/septic tanks/field?

THANKS AGAIN !!! Trying to make sure we are as prepared as we can possibly be.

And our summers "are much more harsh". Balance the books for AC! LOL. And natural gas is dirt cheap and will get cheaper as we have so much gas we are shipping to China. I know nothing about gas in a rural area. Need some help here from an expert please,

Old 12-17-2018, 06:55 AM

482 posts, read 418,788 times
If you live in a more rural area, scratch natural gas. Propane delivery, and of course, electric, will be your choices. If you're within the city limits of Springfield, Nat gas should be available for the most part. Again, in a non-incorporated setting, plan on septic/sewer fields, in the towns themselves, expect city water. Same for garbage; towns provide their own service, outside of town limits, you either haul it to a dump or contract with a third party company to haul it off for you.

As for where you're choosing to relocate to, get ready for culture shock. I suggest accepting the place for what it is, be respectful to the natives, do NOT talk about anything back home being better or missing it at all, and don't bring any blue state politics here. The natives will not hesitate to put you in your place if your break any of the above rules.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:12 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
^^ "rules"?? I would propose think about it not as something being "better" per se, it's some people like some stuff up north, and miss it. Telling someone to shut up about that is...well, what do you think? Special? Some things here are nice, some up north are nicer, to my perspective. I miss progressive politics and walking through a snowy forest in winter. I appreciate the beach.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
If you live in a more rural area, scratch natural gas. Propane delivery, and of course, electric, will be your choices. If you're within the city limits of Springfield, Nat gas should be available for the most part. Again, in a non-incorporated setting, plan on septic/sewer fields, in the towns themselves, expect city water. Same for garbage; towns provide their own service, outside of town limits, you either haul it to a dump or contract with a third party company to haul it off for you.

As for where you're choosing to relocate to, get ready for culture shock. I suggest accepting the place for what it is, be respectful to the natives, do NOT talk about anything back home being better or missing it at all, and don't bring any blue state politics here. The natives will not hesitate to put you in your place if your break any of the above rules.

LOL Would that be "native" Indians? "Do NOT talk..." brought back memories of "NO soup for you!"

Old 12-17-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
^^ "rules"?? I would propose think about it not as something being "better" per se, it's some people like some stuff up north, and miss it. Telling someone to shut up about that is...well, what do you think? Special? Some things here are nice, some up north are nicer, to my perspective. I miss progressive politics and walking through a snowy forest in winter. I appreciate the beach.
You're in the wrong place then, and should change your username out of shame.

The locals, natives....those actually from this area... do NOT wish to hear or be told about how things are up north. The phrase "Delta is ready when you are" has a meaning behind it. If you're new here, it's not about your perspective. You're the n00b. It's up to you to adapt, not those from here.

Old 12-17-2018, 03:34 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
You're in the wrong place then, and should change your username out of shame.

The locals, natives....those actually from this area... do NOT wish to hear or be told about how things are up north. The phrase "Delta is ready when you are" has a meaning behind it. If you're new here, it's not about your perspective. You're the n00b. It's up to you to adapt, not those from here.
I’m a local myself and I don’t tolerate closed mindedness. Doesn’t matter where you’re from, as long as respect is shown, it’s happily given no matter how they like to do their own thing, politics, race, etc.

I’m sad to see this type of intolerance from another “local”

Old 12-17-2018, 07:36 PM

450 posts, read 461,513 times
There are plenty of areas that will fill your needs. I would go towards Springfield/Guyton area. You are closer to the stores in Rincon, there isn't anything close to Ellabell. I think Northern Bryan, Ellabell and Pembroke are the forgotten half of Bryan County. Effingham County has a lot of what you are looking for and is closer to city things. They spend more on Fire, EMS and Public works. Bryan County focuses on the south end of the county and it seems the north end is left out.

Utilities are a toss up depending on your location. Wells and septic are pretty common and not a real issue. There are some areas with private water system and sewer or a septic tank. I am on community water and septic, base rate is $45 a month. Electricity will be the primary for HVAC and cooking. I have about 1700 sq. ft, single story on budget billing of $192 a month, all electric. I rarely use the heat, 66 is as warm as I set it. Summer on the other hand, I keep the house at 72 during the day and 66 at night. Trash in most of Effingham County is included in your tax bill. There are plenty of private companies if you have to use one, going to run $20-30 a month.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I’m a local myself and I don’t tolerate closed mindedness. Doesn’t matter where you’re from, as long as respect is shown, it’s happily given no matter how they like to do their own thing, politics, race, etc.

I’m sad to see this type of intolerance from another “local”
Local and native can be two different things.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:14 AM

OK Native=born there. Local= lives there now. Let's move on. Merry Christmas! Things to do, places to go. No heavy thinking. Ho, ho, ho!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area